Trixiee' Cruise to Run Report (Long)

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
trixiee
Lynn Williams

Trixiee' Cruise to Run Report (Long)

Postby trixiee » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:58 pm

Pat’s Cruise to Run Report

Caribbean Princess Diary 2010

DEAR DIARY: DAY 1, DETROIT TO SAN JUAN
Up at 03:30, time to get my self ready. Meeting my cruise mate Helen and Eric (our debonaire chauffuer, and Helen’s husband ) at 0500 for the drive to the airport. All packed for my cruise including. loads of SPF 30 sunscreen. I really am going to do it right this time - no sunburn! There are about 150 runners signed up for Cruise to Run, plus about 30 non-running spouses. Can't wait to meet new running folk, especially Lisa Bentley, Dick Beardsly and Bart Yassao! I hope there are a few walkers in the group, too, as I know my knee is not run ready yet!

Crossing the border was easy-easy! Eric even joked that though Helen and I had $500.00 spening money each, he had about $5.00 – just enough to get him back across the border and to buy a coffee! The airport check-in and security went extrememly well, and Helen and I found ourselves with a couple of hours to blow before boarding started. What were we going to do with all that time? Shop, of course!

Flight over with – the only issues was that Helen’s duffle bag blew its zipper, and Helen was concerned her “Baba Gotchies” were missing, or more importantly, that her Newton Running Shoes were missing. Thankfully, both the underwear and the shoes were all accounted for!

Taxi to the Hotel – enjoyed the warm tropical breezes and sights. Hotel check-in great. First elevator ride up to our 4th floor room, who do we run into? Dick Beardsley, famours American Marathoner and Rob Reid, owner of Front Runner’s Stores on Vancouver Island. Rob informed us that he was planning something very special for this year’s Terry Fox Run.

Our hotel was about a 2* (IMO), but was very convenient to the beach, restaurants and shopping – including a Walgreen’s.

Below, a picture of our Hotel Room – Holiday Inn Express.

After a short walk around the area, Helen and I had a scruptious dinner al fresco:

DEAR DIARY: DAY 2, SAN JUAN

Since we went to bed nice and early last night, we were up bright and early too! The hotel includes a continental breakfast in the rate, so that is what we had. Instant oatmeal, a boiled egg and some fruit. Along with copious amounts of good strong coffee. On our elevator ride down, we rode with Bary Yasso! Helen joked that by the end of the week, we would be BFF of Bart, Lisa and Dick!

We took a taxi to old San Juan. We visited the castles, had fried plantain nad a beer for lunch, picked up our luggage and headed to the ship! We stopped by the duty free liquor store to stock up on in-room supplies. Me, a bottle of red wine, a micky of Gin and a 6 pack of diet coke. Helen – a bottle of lemon vodka – which we never opened! Oh yah, we’re big drinkers – NOT!
Pictures of Old San Juan:

We went to see our room, (and huge balcony) then off to Club Fusion for our Cruise to Run race kit pick up and information session. There we met Brian and Janet Sharrat, the in-laws of Helen’s Coach James Loaring.

We ate dinner in the Island Dining Room – one of the 2 any-time dining rooms. We were seated at a table for 10. 8/10 of the folks were from Canada, and 4 of those were from Chatham. One of those was the cousin of my cousin! What are the odds of that? Dinner was delicious, and shortly after, we headed to bed. What an awesome day!

DEAR DIARY: DAY 3, St. THOMAS
Morning - 5K Prediction Run in Charlotte Amalie. We had ordered room service breakfast – oatmeal, fruit and coffee to be delivered to our room at 0615, and sure enough, right on 0615 on the dot, there it was!
This was a prediction run – where you had to predict your finishing time – Helen won!
Post-race, we explored the shops and later headed to a beautiful quiet beach. Formal dinner enjoyed with our new friends Brian, Janet, Sheila and Francy.
Pics of St. Thomas:

DEAR DIARY: DAY 4, TORTOLA
Run for Giselle presentation with local Tourism board followed by the gorgeous and tough Tortola Hill Climb high above Road Town. We even had two cows grazing on the course. Later in the day, Helen and I went to Nanny Cay, where we snorkled a bit, and enjoyed a beer at the bar. This beach is not cruise-passenger friendly. They wanted to keep it for the folk who travel around the world in their sailboats! Dick Beardsley talk at 5.

DEAR DIARY: DAY 5, ANTIGUA
Runners give back - we donated 400+ books to the local library.
Crazy fun part road/part trail run to Fort Barrington in the morning complete with reggae-blasting sag wag. Hash run, with some awesome views and beach time in the afternoon at Fryes Bay. Dinner enjoyed with our new friends Bart and Laura Yasso and Judy from Texas. Then a game of “Family Fued”, which our team “Cruise to Run”, won! Way too much fun!!

Pictures of Antugua:

DEAR DIARY: DAY 6, ST. LUCIA
Runners Give Back – Donation of Running Shoes.
Vigie Lighthouse run in morning. Shopping spree in the afternoon. Later, Cruise to Run group picture and Lisa Bentley's talk. I was able to have Lisa autograph my “Train with Heart” visor. After dinner, we went to Kareoke, and we forced ourselves to stay up long enough to see the Hypnotist. Helen volunteered to get hypnotised. I don’t think I ever laughed so hard! Visited the Disco that night too, since we didn’t have to get up until 0800 for a 10 am race next day in Barbados!

Image Beers were 2 for $3.00!

DEAR DIARY: DAY 7, BARBADOS
Wow! A great 5K – Even ran about 500 metres! First running steps without significant pain since October 2009! Must have been the heat!
Helen won an age-group award! The afternoon was spent at Jolly Rodger beach, where a swim was lead by Lisa Bentley for thise triathletes in our group. This was also our last formal evening. Bart spoke tonight, and included one of the pics we had taken with him and Laura n his presentation! Helen and I partook in a wine-pairing seminar with some new friends from Orangeville, then enjoyed dinner with Sheila and Francy.
Pics of Barbados:

DEAR DIARY: DAY 8: AT SEA
Woot! Finally, a rest day!! Ha! So I thought! We got up too late to be able to enjoy eggs benny in the Dining Room, so headed to the Horizon Court for a late breakfast, then to my massage appointment. After the massage, I enjoyed the steam bath and sauna. Then headed out to the deck to enjoy a bit of sun before our appointment with Captain Franchesco, who was going to give us a tour of the Command Centre. Had to get organized and pack for out trip home tomorrow, and get ready for the last Cruise to Run get together.

DEAR DIARY: DAY 9: TRAVEL HOME

The end of a great week!

If anyone is looking for a cruise - this is one I would recommend, especially for those Type A folks! :dance:
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Re: Trixiee' Cruise to Run Report (Long)

Postby Tori » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:16 pm

That looks like a really fun vacation! I would love to do this one of these years.

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:59 pm

Great report, Pat and well worth waiting for! It sounds like you had a wonderful time! The photos are great and brought back lots of good memories from when we went two years ago. Did you walk all the way out and back to the Fort in Antigua?

Now you have me wanting to go on another cruise!
Jane

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:15 pm

Great story and pics, thanks! Wish I was there!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:02 pm

Sounds like a real fun week!! Lots of running and lots of re-hydrating.....
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:37 pm

I'm glad you had a good time! :D Beautiful pictures too.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:01 pm

Sounds like everyone had an awesome time ...

One of these days, I'd like to take one of these cruise run tours .. Alaska would be nice ... 8) :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:02 pm

HCmD wrote:Sounds like everyone had an awesome time ...

One of these days, I'd like to take one of these cruise run tours .. Alaska would be nice ... 8) :wink:

Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~ Dr. Suess~

Half-Mary
Jerome Drayton

Postby Half-Mary » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:07 pm

What a great opportunity! Looks like you had a great time! I've never been on a cruise before and a running focused cruise sounds awesome!

I wondered if you were on the same cruise as Rob Reid. I run with Frontrunners in Victoria and saw Rob the night before he left for the cruise. He was pretty excited and looking forward to his week away.

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:11 pm

Half-Mary wrote:What a great opportunity! Looks like you had a great time! I've never been on a cruise before and a running focused cruise sounds awesome!

I wondered if you were on the same cruise as Rob Reid. I run with Frontrunners in Victoria and saw Rob the night before he left for the cruise. He was pretty excited and looking forward to his week away.

yup! met him even before we checked in to the hotel in San Juan. A really nice guy!

and Rob Reid, owner of Front Runner’s Stores on Vancouver Island. Rob informed us that he was planning something very special for this year’s Terry Fox Run.

~ Dr. Suess~

Half-Mary
Jerome Drayton

Postby Half-Mary » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:16 pm

trixiee wrote:and Rob Reid, owner of Front Runner’s Stores on Vancouver Island. Rob informed us that he was planning something very special for this year’s Terry Fox Run.

He's unbelievably excited about that. I've been told what the plan is, but I can't remember! :oops:

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:44 pm

Thanks for the great report. Looks like a FUN trip.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:23 pm

Looks like a lot of fun, Trix. Glad you had a good time.

You didn't happen to meet any Gores in Antigua, did you? :wink: And you guys seem to be giving those cows a pretty wide berth: lookin' belligerent, were they?

Mid_Packer
Bruce Kidd

Postby Mid_Packer » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:44 am

Hey Pat, great report, and loved the pictures. I've been to a few of those places--SanJuan, Barbadoes, St. Thomas. and I do recogize Helen from the pictures. Guess I'm going to have to get out to one of those Sat Am Y runs to talk to her about the cruise. Thanks for sharing.

Dave
'10 ATB 2:27, Boston 3:43, Missga 3:42, Sulphur Spring 25k, Niagara 50, ITT,Toad 50, Marine Corp M,
09 Chilly 1:43; ATB 2:37, Boston 3:50, Missuga Mara 3:49, Run for Toad 25k 2:22, Oakville half 1:51, Detroit 3:45
'08 Chilly 1:42; ATB 2:31; Miss Mara 3:43, Westover, Erie (DNF), Detroit 3:36
'07 Chilly 1:45, Detroit 3:50
'92-93 Half 1:27; Detroit 3:10, Boston 3:56

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:39 am

Sounds like you had a great time.
I love the pics :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:01 am

Wow, what a great trip! Glad to hear you were (finally) able to run, too!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:40 am

fun! thanks for the report!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:46 pm

sounds like a great trip! thanks for sharing!!
Race Hard. Race Happy.

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:00 pm

Great trip and super report and pics!! Congrats on having an excellent trip!! Good luck on getting healthy for running this year!

klc
Jerome Drayton

Postby klc » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:08 pm

Sounds like an amazing trip Pat! Great pictures, thanks for sharing!

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:04 pm

Great report, trixiee!!
I've always wanted to see/read a report from these Cruise to Run trips. Looks like a lot of fun and 2 beers for $3 is nice. :D A great way to break up the winter dullness. Thanks for posting.
Ultrarunner again

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:18 pm

Great report Trixiee!

Mrs. Tortoise and I are booked for next year. ( Me as a runner and she is going as a "guest" ) . I had actually forgotten about your run report until "Lurker Kathy" reminded me. I responded to an ad in runner's world and decided that it sounded like a fun trip. Your report has just re-inforced my enthusiams for the cruise. I see the Lisa Bently is listed as confirmed again this year. It will be neat to meet her.

Thanks for the great photos and report.

opcougar
Bruce Kidd

Postby opcougar » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:33 pm

\\ Nice pics, looks like you lot had a wicked time
Mick

Completed Races:

* London UK marathon
* Stockholm marathon
* Los Angeles marathon
* A number of 5k races

Upcoming Races:

* Montreal Half Marathon 18 April 10
* Minto Run for Reach 21.1km Half 25 April 10
* Quebec City International Half-Marathon 2 May 10
* Ottawa Marathon 30 May 10
* Liechtenstein Alpine Marathon 12 June 10
* Army Run 19 Sept 10

ratherBrunning
Jerome Drayton

Postby ratherBrunning » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:12 pm

That looks like it was a blast! What gorgeous pictures!! :D
Louise

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:15 pm

I realize now that I read but never posted. Awesome vaycay, wish I could have gone!! :D
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

Return to “Run/Race Reports”