Running from Work

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

JoaniB
Tom Longboat

Running from Work

Postby JoaniB » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:10 pm

Hi, everyone,

I've decided that work is the best time for me to run - I don't get up early enough in the morning, and when I get home, it's dinnertime and other things (from my intro post: I found that little spark inside, it's just as lazy as I am). Also, a run in the middle of the day breaks up the monotony of work very nicely.

I do wonder, though, how other people do it logistically: do you buy your lunch before and let it wait for your return? Do you take your kit home every night (at least the towel, to dry it)? What about your smelly shirts? What do you say to other people on the elevator when they give you side-ways glances and edge away from your sweatiness?

Ideas? Suggestions?
Ottawa Race Weekend 10k (2009): 1h07m; Army Half-marathon (2009): 2h38m; St. Patrick's Day 5k (2010): 33m; Ottawa Race Weekend Half-marathon (2010): 2h28m (getting better!); St. Patrick's Day 10k (2011): 1h13m (or not); Calgary 10k (2012): 1h06m (new PB!); Canadian Derby Half-marathon (2012): 2h17m (PB!)
~~~~~~~//~~~~~~~
"And now for my next impression, Jesse Owens!" - Bart the Sheriff in Blazing Saddles
~~~~~~~//~~~~~~~
http://runjellyrun.blogspot.com

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Running from Work

Postby La » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:14 pm

If I run mid-day, I usually take an early lunch and go to the gym. I shower and change there, then eat my lunch at my desk (I bring my lunch to work, don't buy it). I take my gym clothes home with me that evening.

But I also like the "run commute" which takes a bit more planning, and depending on how far away from work you live, may or may not be practical. Running home is far easier (logistically) than running into work. And much easier in the spring/summer/fall than winter when you have to have multiple coats/boots in different locations.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:21 pm

La wrote:If I run mid-day, I usually take an early lunch and go to the gym. I shower and change there, then eat my lunch at my desk (I bring my lunch to work, don't buy it). I take my gym clothes home with me that evening.

this minus the gym part - we have showers in our building and i run outside. if i run in cooler weather i can sometimes skip a shower to save time.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:34 pm

We have showers at my office. I eat after I run.
The awesome thing about the towel is that every day you get out of the shower and rub it against the cleanest thing you have, which is you. So in fact your towel gets cleaner and cleaner the longer you use it.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Lazagna
Bill Crothers

Postby Lazagna » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:39 pm

Our gym is on the 7th floor, so if I decide to run outside, I take the stairs back up.
Mike . . . Do what you need to do NOW, so you don't deny yourself a future opportunity.
Upcoming Races:

CinC
Lynn Williams

Re:

Postby CinC » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:40 pm

turd ferguson wrote:We have showers at my office. I eat after I run.
The awesome thing about the towel is that every day you get out of the shower and rub it against the cleanest thing you have, which is you. So in fact your towel gets cleaner and cleaner the longer you use it.

And if you're turd, after a year, said towel will grow legs and walk out of your office. do not follow his advice.

I'm excited since my new office is much closer to the Y, so I'm planning to take my lunch hr to walk over, run, shower (using the towel service I pay for, ahem), and then eat lunch when i get back to my office.

I also like the run home after work situation too - just a bit of planning, but can be done quite easily.
Race Hard. Race Happy.

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:40 pm

I run to (or out of) my gym. Who cares what other people in the elevator think. IMHO, it's no worse than being in the elevator with a group of people coming in from their smoke. Luckily for me, my office is pretty laid back, so they don't care (or even comment other than a quick "How was your run?") if I come in to work with wet hair after a run. After you do it a few times, you won't feel awkward.

Thanks for the idea - I'm going to run from work tomorrow myself. :)
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:43 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
We have showers at my office. I eat after I run.

And if you're turd, after a year, said towel will grow legs and walk out of your office. do not follow his advice.

I'm excited since my new office is much closer to the Y, so I'm planning to take my lunch hr to walk over, run, shower (using the towel service I pay for, ahem), and then eat lunch when i get back to my office.

I also like the run home after work situation too - just a bit of planning, but can be done quite easily.

Your new office also has a huge fountain in front which can be used to splash off / cool down.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:48 pm

Our gym is across the street, and we have the bonus of being in a research park next to the river with it's running paths. So I just go there, change, run, shower and then usually eat my lunch at my desk while working afterward. I carry my gym bag back and forth to work whenever I run.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Running from Work

Postby Jwolf » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:05 pm

When I was working full days at the daycare I was lucky enough to have a gym right on site. I have to say though it was tough to squeeze in a run more than a half-hour, even with an hour lunch-break and not having to leave the building. It would take me about 10 minutes to change and get going, and then I'd have 20 minutes to shower, change, and eat before getting back to work (I was essentially punching a clock). Now I'm happy to have flexible hours. :) My downtown running partner has the luxury of taking about a 2-hour lunch break when we run together, so we have time for an hour run and a short lunch before he goes back and showers.

I do take my stuff home for laundry every time.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:31 pm

For lunchtime runs I'm lucky to have a shower at work.

Run commutes are a lot trickier. I'm far enough away (22-23km) that I can only run one way. I leave my clothes and an extra lunch at work the day before. Depending on what's best for DW's schedule, she either picks me up after work the first day (and I leave my car at work to come home the next day) or she picks me up after work the next day. I've also considered biking in one direction but I wouldn't want to leave my bike at work.

tinyterror
Johnny Miles

Postby tinyterror » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:33 pm

Running at lunch just isn't practical since I only take a half hour, but I just started with my plan of running home from work last week. I find that after I walk the 2k to get to the streetcar (that's the point where it starts moving faster; prior to that it's so stuck in traffic I literally walk faster), sit for almost a half hour in the sweltering streetcar, by the time I get home I just want to flop on the couch with a cat or three. If I'm organized in the morning I can manage everything I need (no towel because I just shower when I get home :D) in a mini backpack which isn't too uncomfortable to run with. The distance between work and home is 7.5k so the distance is perfect. I'm still working on the getting organized in the morning part :P
Whatever doesn't kill you...will still probably hurt like a son of a b*#ch!

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:09 pm

I'm lucky that I have a shower at work, and we have towel service so fresh towels every day! I normally pack a lunch, eat half 1 hour before my run, have my run, shower (which is usually no more than a perspiration rinse & cooldown), and eat the other half of my lunch. I've found that if I don't get a little something into my stomach before 12, I'd be struggling during the run.
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

Pat29
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat29 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:04 pm

I generally run home from work. I take the bus in the morning and run home in the evening. It works out great for me since my office is about 8 km from my house. I can easily map out 8-10 km routes.
[b]2016 Races:[b]

January - Richmond Road Races 10 km 41:06
March - St Patrick's Day 10 km 41:31
April - Minto Run for Reach half-marathon 1:28:56
May - Sporting Life 10 km - 41:10
May - Ottawa Marathon - 3:26:37
September - Army Run

My running blog: http://www.thecourageoflungs.com

BJH
Lynn Williams

Running from Work

Postby BJH » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:25 am

I run at lunch occasionally. I have a gym near work and will go there to run on the treadmill or I will change in the washroom and run in the nearby cemetery. I use wipes to clean up, I work in a pretty casual office.

I'm a fan of the run commute. I have a great running backpack that will carry a change of clothes and a jacket. In the mornings I will run 10k, shower at a branch if my gym and hop on the subway for the rest if the way to work. In the evenings, I will either run part way home or the whole way (18k).
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:55 am

Sometimes I wish I lived a little further away from work - my run commute is just a little over 4K. I can take a "longer" route to make it a little over 5K. I'd have to take a major detour to make it longer than that.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:34 am

La wrote:Sometimes I wish I lived a little further away from work - my run commute is just a little over 4K. I can take a "longer" route to make it a little over 5K. I'd have to take a major detour to make it longer than that.

When I've wanted a longer run in the morning, I've sometimes done a run in the neighbourhood, then swung by home, grabbed my bag and run the rest of the way to work. For me, it means more sleep than if I got up, did the whole run, showered at home, then took the bus in to work.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:35 am

scrumhalfgirl wrote:
La wrote:Sometimes I wish I lived a little further away from work - my run commute is just a little over 4K. I can take a "longer" route to make it a little over 5K. I'd have to take a major detour to make it longer than that.

When I've wanted a longer run in the morning, I've sometimes done a run in the neighbourhood, then swung by home, grabbed my bag and run the rest of the way to work. For me, it means more sleep than if I got up, did the whole run, showered at home, then took the bus in to work.

Hmmm. That's an idea. That would probably work better than my other thought of running to the gym, dropping the bag, and continuing from there.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Running from Work

Postby Jwolf » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:44 am

RA. wrote:
scrumhalfgirl wrote:

Hmmm. That's an idea. That would probably work better than my other thought of running to the gym, dropping the bag, and continuing from there.

I used to do that (run to work and drop the bag off there) when I was working regularly at the daycare, which is only 2.5k from my house. I'd either continue the run from there outside or finish it on the treadmill at the gym.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:39 am

My run commute is a bit long (22k), but I've done it a few times. But I usually have Joe meet me at a pre-determined time and location about 6k from home, making it a much more manageable distance for after work.
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Re: Re:

Postby erinmcd » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:47 am

CinC wrote:

do not follow his advice.

It's amazing how often people are warned about following Turd's advice. :lol:
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Re: Re:

Postby VeloCarrie » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:52 am

erinmcd wrote:
CinC wrote:

do not follow his advice.

It's amazing how often people are warned about following Turd's advice. :lol:

I also wouldn't drink out of any cups in his office either . . .
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

JoaniB
Tom Longboat

Postby JoaniB » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:50 am

So, Turd... that weird funky smell on old towels is actually the smell of cleanliness?

My run home is a bit long for me at this time (11k), though it would get me to bed earlier. I used to commute-run in Ottawa when I only lived 5k away and I miss the feeling of 'running away from work'.

Thanks for the responses, everyone!
Ottawa Race Weekend 10k (2009): 1h07m; Army Half-marathon (2009): 2h38m; St. Patrick's Day 5k (2010): 33m; Ottawa Race Weekend Half-marathon (2010): 2h28m (getting better!); St. Patrick's Day 10k (2011): 1h13m (or not); Calgary 10k (2012): 1h06m (new PB!); Canadian Derby Half-marathon (2012): 2h17m (PB!)
~~~~~~~//~~~~~~~
"And now for my next impression, Jesse Owens!" - Bart the Sheriff in Blazing Saddles
~~~~~~~//~~~~~~~
http://runjellyrun.blogspot.com

akajb
Johnny Miles

Postby akajb » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:10 am

I've been walking to/from campus (only 2.5k each way). I'd love to run home, but I take my laptop with me and can't figure out a good way around that. Don't really want to have it bouncing around on my back. :(
Current PBs (not necessarily from a race):
5k = 28:53 - new goal 27:30 (was 30:00)
10k = 1:03:00 - goal < 0:59:59
10 mile = 1:38:59 - goal not sure yet, probably 1:36
21.1k = 2:14:09 - goal < 2:10:00

tinyterror
Johnny Miles

Postby tinyterror » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:08 pm

tinyterror wrote:Running at lunch just isn't practical since I only take a half hour, but I just started with my plan of running home from work last week. I find that after I walk the 2k to get to the streetcar (that's the point where it starts moving faster; prior to that it's so stuck in traffic I literally walk faster), sit for almost a half hour in the sweltering streetcar, by the time I get home I just want to flop on the couch with a cat or three. If I'm organized in the morning I can manage everything I need (no towel because I just shower when I get home :D) in a mini backpack which isn't too uncomfortable to run with. The distance between work and home is 7.5k so the distance is perfect. I'm still working on the getting organized in the morning part :P

See, now today I forgot my pants. What did I say about getting organized in the morning?
Whatever doesn't kill you...will still probably hurt like a son of a b*#ch!

Return to “General Running Discussion”