Strava

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Strava

Postby Jwolf » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:47 am

I have been using Strava for logging runs and I really like it.

www.strava.com

I need more friends to follow- anyone else use it? :)

You can load directly from your Garmin on the computer, track from a smartphone app, or log manually. They used to have different smartphone apps for tracking cycling and running, but now it's just one app. It's one of the best smartphone apps for running out there (although it does seem to measure distances a bit on the long side).

Strava was originally developed for cycling, and many cyclists like the competitive aspect of it (after you run or ride it matches segments from your GPS track to those other people have done), but I like it mostly for the social sharing aspect of it. It also has good multisport functionality. There is a paid version if you want to do things like set weekly goals and use some other analytics, but I just use the free one.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Strava

Postby La » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:50 am

I've been on Strava for almost a year, but I mostly use it for cycling. And since I'm not training for anything right now, I'm not using it at all.

It's kind of cool to see how you stack up against others on the same routes.

Mark is on Strava. I also follow Lance Armstrong. :lol:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:31 am

La wrote: I also follow Lance Armstrong. :lol:

Haha, he stirred up some controversy by being on Strava... so did Levi, when he took a KOM. People didn't like having to compete against dopers! Some people take Strava pretty seriously.

Check out the website www.digitalepo.com :lol: :dance: Cheating goes digital!

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Strava

Postby Jwolf » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:54 pm

That's the aspect of strava that I hate actually- people actually cheat (by driving instead of cycling) or "strategically game" the system to win the challenges and get higher rankings on the segments. It's kinda dumb if you ask me.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:11 pm

You reminded me of the time i forgot to turn my GPS off after a mountain bike ride... someone flagged my ride because i crushed their KOM with an average speed over 80km/h ! :). On the drive home.... Oops.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:38 pm

jonovision_man wrote:You reminded me of the time i forgot to turn my GPS off after a mountain bike ride... someone flagged my ride because i crushed their KOM with an average speed over 80km/h ! :). On the drive home.... Oops.

Apparently that happens a lot; of course people make mistakes and that's understandable. :) It's the ones that do it on purpose which is odd.

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:09 pm

Coworker of mine is a competitive Master cyclist. Check out Pete Mogg. I suspect he will be competing in the Steaming Nostrils race this weekend. He won it last year.
The Summer of Eng is over.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:11 pm

Engmomma wrote:Coworker of mine is a competitive Master cyclist. Check out Pete Mogg. I suspect he will be competing in the Steaming Nostrils race this weekend. He won it last year.

I recognize the name from Paris to Ancaster... Neat!

jono
Visit my blog!

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:33 pm

Strava is my preferred w/o logging site, particularly for cycling. It's okay too for running but not so good for swimming. I really like the competitive element, and have a few KOM's in a few different countries. It adds an extra element for me but I guess that's not for everyone. The KOM concept is Strava's only tangible differentiator from many of the other logging sites so I don't really get why anyone would use it if they're not into that element.

I'm looking forward to getting out and chasing some Aussie KOM's once my bike gets here.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:00 pm

Mark 2.1 wrote: The KOM concept is Strava's only tangible differentiator from many of the other logging sites so I don't really get why anyone would use it if they're not into that element.

The competitive part is their "thing", but in general I like their interface, especially the "activity feed" (lots of people I know are on it, neat to see what they do for their workouts). I find their "Training Log" view the nicest of the sites I've tried (definitely better than Garmin Connect anyway).

jono
Visit my blog!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Strava

Postby Jwolf » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:18 pm

Mark 2.1 wrote:Strava is my preferred w/o logging site, particularly for cycling. It's okay too for running but not so good for swimming. I really like the competitive element, and have a few KOM's in a few different countries. It adds an extra element for me but I guess that's not for everyone. The KOM concept is Strava's only tangible differentiator from many of the other logging sites so I don't really get why anyone would use it if they're not into that element.

Well, as I said before as a running app it exceeds in functionality, user interface, and accuracy, over other running apps like RunKeeper or MapMyRun. I never liked those other ones, but I have started using strava regularly and stuck with it for those reasons. As a social network there are groups that are expanding, especially one that I am a member of, so I like it for that a lot.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Strava

Postby Jwolf » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:29 am

Another thing- for those of you that listen to the Another Mother Runner podcast, they interviewed Larissa Rivers (January 26 2014 episode), the head of run marketing for strava. It was a good listen! She was talking about how they develop and enhance different features for runners since the focus and purpose for runners tends to be different than for cyclists.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:23 pm

jonovision_man wrote:
Mark 2.1 wrote: The KOM concept is Strava's only tangible differentiator from many of the other logging sites so I don't really get why anyone would use it if they're not into that element.

The competitive part is their "thing", but in general I like their interface, especially the "activity feed" (lots of people I know are on it, neat to see what they do for their workouts). I find their "Training Log" view the nicest of the sites I've tried (definitely better than Garmin Connect anyway).

I belong to a group on Strava tied to an August goal race. That is interstesting - in addition to a separate activity feed view for that group, there is also group stats and rankings to keep you motivated and a discussion forum for the group.

Like Mark, I find the KOM/CR interesting and use for running. I have found or created segments around home, office and favourite running spots. This is another good motivator to add pickup in planned spots to your workouts. I have also discovered a couple new spots to run.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Return to “General Running Discussion”