Virtual Workout--THURSDAYS....

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Re: Virtual Workout--THURSDAYS....

Postby Hammie » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:38 am

Habs, what have I done to make you angry? :lol:

Modified version done. I left out one 800 and one 400 at the end - it was just a bit too long in total for me (6.4k of work, which would be over 10% of my weekly average mileage these days) and I did 400m recovery between each - all recovery was at 9.2kph (6:31/k). It looked like:

Warm up 2 k
2x 400 @ 13.0kph
2x 800 @ 12.6kph
1x 1600 @ 12.0kph
1x 800 @ 12.6kph
1x 400 @ 13.0 kph

Total 10k in 55ish minutes.
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:52 am

Habs4ever wrote:
scrumhalfgirl wrote:
Total was 7.25 km in 39 minutes. I did 200 m jogging recoveries in between each, because I don't like mixing up time and distance intervals on the treadmill (I get confused!).

Great job on the workout, even with the interruptions.

I was writing mine out today and was wondering how I was going to keep track, so I'm thinking if doing the same thing, go by even distances as close to the recovery time as possible. (If that makes sense).

This is exactly what I did this AM! If I was a few seconds away from an even minute when I finished my interval, I added. Some rest periods/intervals were either slightly longer or shorter. It always seemed to work out pretty close though!

Ok so this one was a great one! My paces were 7.8 -8mph for the 400 intervals 7.4-7.5 for the 800m and 7.2 for the 1600. I only had one hiccup. I started my mile interval and about 400 m in I had to make an emergency bathroom stop :oops: :oops: I took the bathroom break as a rest and started my 1600 over again, so I actually got a bonus 400m @7.2mph in. Otherwise my rest was 5.5mph. I'm with La - I really don't like to walk the rest breaks. I find it hard to start again.

I think I picked the paces properly because I felt energized after it all rather than depleted. This is what I'm going for.

So total was 12K in 1:06:30. My only issue with this workout is it was long. I'm kind of time constrained, and I really like to get my stretching and strength in on Thursday as well. I managed some, but it was a bit less than I would have normally done. I would say this would be about the max time I could afford for our virtual Thursday workouts. Of course if I stopped being such a slug in the evening, I could do the strength work then. :roll: :roll:

I think this could easily be adjusted for those with less time by maybe removing a couple of the intervals and increasing the paces.

Thanks Habs!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:57 am

purdy65 wrote:I'm with La - I really don't like to walk the rest breaks. I find it hard to start again.

I don't think I was the one who said that! If the goal of a 2- or 3- min break between intervals is to get enough rest so as to be able to hit the next interval at the desired pace, then I am all for walking the full rest period. I think it was JW or IC who said they didn't like to walk.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:00 am

La wrote:
purdy65 wrote:I'm with La - I really don't like to walk the rest breaks. I find it hard to start again.

I don't think I was the one who said that! If the goal of a 2- or 3- min break between intervals is to get enough rest so as to be able to hit the next interval at the desired pace, then I am all for walking the full rest period. I think it was JW or IC who said they didn't like to walk.

Yep! it was JW. I should have scrolled back!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:11 am

purdy65 wrote:
La wrote:

IC was the one who said she didn't like to walk because it lowered her average pace. ;)

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:45 am

La wrote:
purdy65 wrote:
La wrote:

IC was the one who said she didn't like to walk because it lowered her average pace. ;)

IC said she didn't count the walk distance in total mileage. IC doesn't call easy running or jogging as rest either.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:53 am

La wrote:
purdy65 wrote:
La wrote:

What?? I didn't say I don't like to walk- or I didn't mean to- I said I don't like to stop.

IC didn't say that either- she either walks or stops and stretches and I don't remember he saying anything about average pace. If anything she said she doesn't even count that time and distance at all.

I don't pay any attention to the average pace of a speed workout. I usually do recoveries by time, but sometimes by distance- just depends on what is convenient. But for speed intervals I usually walk for the first minute or so and then jog for active recovery.

I feel that active recovery is important to keep the systems moving during recovery. Also, walking the whole recovery or stopping makes it harder to get back going the next time.

Easy jog is recovery- it's not rest. Like easy spinning between hard intervals on the bike. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:28 pm

Done!

2 km warm up
2 x 400 @ 4:48/km
2 x 800 @ 4:55/km
1 x 1600 @ 4:59/km
2 x 800 @ 4:53/km
2 x 400 @ 4:38/km
2.6km of recovery and cooldown

11km total.

Recoveries in between intervals as indicated up to a 200m distance except for the mile which had 3 min/400m. I have a 400m track visual on my treadmill so I either started at the top or the bottom so it would be easy to follow. The majority of the recoveries were power walking.

Tough workout and I really struggled with doing this on the treadmill. This would have been mentally easier for me on an actual track.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:13 pm

Done!

1 mile warm up 6.0 mph
400's done at 8.2 mph (4:36/k)
800's done at 8.0 mph (4:40/k)
1600 done at 7.8 mph (4:47/k) 7:42/ mile

Recovery was at 5.5 mph, getting as close to the time as possible, but using even distances.

Ran it out to 7.3miles. I mis calculated the cool down distance. The treadmills at the gym cut out after an hour, so I had to stop it and start again. I thought I had stopped it at 6.2 miles, but when I looked at the picture I took when done it was only 5.9. :lol: I didn't want the treadmill to cut out right in the middle of the last 400m, I knew it would be close. Good thing I take pictures of the treadmill readouts, or I would never remember.

Tough workout, but felt strong the whole time. Unlike IronColl, I find the treadmill easier than outside or track for this.

Can't wait for next week. :D
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:21 pm

Wow! You guys were a lot fast today :). Good work!

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:28 pm

Awesome running, everyone!!!

I, too, was tight for time today so I had to modify the WO. I didn't want to skip the quality so I eliminated some of the rest.

My run:
1 mile wu @ 7.0mph
1 x 800m @ 9.0mph (instead of 2 x 400m)
3 x 1600m @ 8.8, 8.8, 8.9 mph w/ 400m EP between each set (did 2 1600s instead of 4 x 800)
1 x 800m @ 9.0mph (instead of 2 x 400m)
1 mile cd @ 7.0mph

Distance covered: 7 miles in 52:47. That was a great workout. I had lots of energy to burn off! Next time, I'd like to do it as prescribed. I think I could push the pace a bit w/ more recovery.

Can't wait 'till next Thursday - thanks for the motivation, partners :).
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:15 pm

Great running everyone!!

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:03 pm

Habs4ever wrote:Great running everyone!!

Ditto!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:48 pm

Well done everyone!

I did 8.08 miles in 65 minutes.
15 minute warmup
2 x 400m @ 9.2 mph
2 x 800m @ 9.0 mph
1 x 1600m @ 8.5 mph
2 x 800m @ 9.0 mph
2 x 400m @ 9.2 mph
Rest intervals @ 6 mph

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:49 pm

Yay I found the Virtual Workouts!!!! I was wondering when I saw reference to them in several journals, and the frog in boiling water thing had me :what: .

I'm in. These workouts will fit in nicely on my Thursdays.
Thanks people.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:14 pm

Yay, the more the merrier. :)

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:13 am

Great job everyone!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:39 am

Great job last week everyone!

This week's workout will be more of a standard tempo interval workout.

10 minute easy warmup
3 x 12 minute tempo intervals with 3 minutes active recovery (light jog).
5-10 minute easy cooldown

The pace of the tempo intervals should be a bit faster than half-marathon pace. If you feel up to it you can increase slightly to 10K pace, but the goal of the workout is strong and steady. Not a progression this week.

Note: these are longer intervals, therefore not all-out pace, and the recovery is not supposed to be complete recovery. They are sometimes called "cruise intervals."

That's about an hour total. If you need to do a shorter workout, you can shorten it to 8-10 minutes for each set with 2 minutes jogging recovery. Or by distance you can do 3 x 2K or 3 x 1 mile or whatever fits your time-frame. (The original workout would be about 3 x 1.2-1.5 miles on the treadmill depending on your pace.)

Have fun. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:06 pm

Looks good to me! :D

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:10 pm

Thanks for the new workout! Will either do it outside or on the treadmill on Wednesday, depending on the weather conditions.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:17 pm

I'll have to think how to modify this to work for me, as the last speed work I did really cooked my bad foot. I love being a part of this, so I'll come up with something. I think that just running 8-10 minutes continuously, with a 2 minute walk breaks will be enough of a step up for me.*

I like these workouts, even though I need to modify them, because they give me some new ways to think about my running, and fun variety in my pretty limited repertoire. Thank you so much!

*ETA: Besides, my 10k pace is the same as my 5k pace, which is the same as my (would be) half-marathon pace, etc.
Last edited by Avis on Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--The Garden Song

--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:13 pm

Looks good Jen! Thanks.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:27 pm

I will probably do this on Wednesday, because I'm planning a longish run on Friday.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:12 pm

This workout is more my style. 8) I never got last week's workout done because I just couldn't fit it into my schedule. We're supposed to get snow this week, so I'll likely do this on the TM Wednesday after work (going out Wed night, so not going to runpub).

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:57 pm

Avis wrote:I'll have to think how to modify this to work for me, as the last speed work I did really cooked my bad foot. I love being a part of this, so I'll come up with something. I think that just running 8-10 minutes continuously, with a 2 minute walk breaks will be enough of a step up for me.*

I like these workouts, even though I need to modify them, because they give me some new ways to think about my running, and fun variety in my pretty limited repertoire. Thank you so much!

*ETA: Besides, my 10k pace is the same as my 5k pace, which is the same as my (would be) half-marathon pace, etc.

Sadly, I will not be participating in Virtual Workout Thursdays for the next few weeks. My physio has ordered me to stop running until the inflammation in my foot goes away. However, I will be stopping by to see what you all are up to!
--The Garden Song

--Charles H. Spurgeon

--Pablo Picasso

Return to “Training ”