Need help

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

Peter
Percy Williams

Need help

Postby Peter » Sun May 24, 2015 6:15 pm

Hi everyone. Been running again for over a year now. Since feb i have been training for the manitoba full marathon. Following a 18 week training scheduel. Everything has been going great since today. I was to do a 22 mile run. However at mile 12 i just hit the wall. Now i no i did not take enough water with me. And it was very hot. Have not run a long run in this heat yet. My question is, can i still run the full marthon which is june 21. Or should i go for the half? Would really like to run the full. But i did walk the rest of the 8 miles at a very brisk pace. Thanks

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Re: Need help

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun May 24, 2015 7:39 pm

Peter wrote:Hi everyone. Been running again for over a year now. Since feb i have been training for the manitoba full marathon. Following a 18 week training scheduel. Everything has been going great since today. I was to do a 22 mile run. However at mile 12 i just hit the wall. Now i no i did not take enough water with me. And it was very hot. Have not run a long run in this heat yet. My question is, can i still run the full marthon which is june 21. Or should i go for the half? Would really like to run the full. But i did walk the rest of the 8 miles at a very brisk pace. Thanks

these things happen! learn from it, and you'll be fine. have you done other long runs (eg 20 miles?). you'll be fine. i probably wouldn't try and cram in the 22 mile next week, but you could extend the long run you were planning to do a bit.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon May 25, 2015 12:28 am

It sounds like a good year.

I've done Manitoba twice, both years the Marathon was the first hot day of the year and nobody was prepared. Days like today (and the shorter runs in the heat between now and then) make you stronger.

Have fun.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon May 25, 2015 7:12 am

scrumhalfgirl wrote:
Peter wrote:Hi everyone. Been running again for over a year now. Since feb i have been training for the manitoba full marathon. Following a 18 week training scheduel. Everything has been going great since today. I was to do a 22 mile run. However at mile 12 i just hit the wall. Now i no i did not take enough water with me. And it was very hot. Have not run a long run in this heat yet. My question is, can i still run the full marthon which is june 21. Or should i go for the half? Would really like to run the full. But i did walk the rest of the 8 miles at a very brisk pace. Thanks

these things happen! learn from it, and you'll be fine. have you done other long runs (eg 20 miles?). you'll be fine. i probably wouldn't try and cram in the 22 mile next week, but you could extend the long run you were planning to do a bit.

Yes, better to bonk in training than to bonk in the race! You still have 4 weeks to get your hydration and nutrition strategy in place. Even if you were to attempt a 20-miler this coming weekend, it still gives you enough time (3 weeks) to recover before the race.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon May 25, 2015 8:45 am

La wrote:
scrumhalfgirl wrote:

Yes, better to bonk in training than to bonk in the race! You still have 4 weeks to get your hydration and nutrition strategy in place. Even if you were to attempt a 20-miler this coming weekend, it still gives you enough time (3 weeks) to recover before the race.

oh right, i was counting weekends wrong! yes - plenty of time to try again with the 22 miler.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Peter
Percy Williams

Postby Peter » Mon May 25, 2015 8:54 am

Thanks for the replys all of you. Ok i have a 12 miler for next week sunday. Will try for a 22 miler.

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Mon May 25, 2015 9:01 am

What are you using for nutrition? Are you taking just water or are you taking in any calories on your long runs?

Peter
Percy Williams

Postby Peter » Mon May 25, 2015 9:28 am

I took one gel and 8oz of gatorade ever 5 miles.

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Mon May 25, 2015 9:35 am

Peter wrote:I took one gel and 8oz of gatorade ever 5 miles.

Ah, I was thinkig that you were just taking water.

I am banking that it was the heat. We had snow last weekend and it was stinking hot this weekend. I would go with La and scrumhalfgirls recommendation to try the 22 miler this weekend coming up.

Good luck!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon May 25, 2015 10:29 am

Peter wrote:I took one gel and 8oz of gatorade ever 5 miles.

How long does it take you to run 5 miles? 1 gel might not be enough (maybe 1 every 4 miles). Though if you're taking Gatorade, you're getting some carbs from that, so maybe every 5K is OK. Make sure you're taking your gels with water, though. Also, check the sodium content of the gels you're using to ensure you're getting enough (250-500mg/hr in hot weather).
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Peter
Percy Williams

Postby Peter » Mon May 25, 2015 10:45 am

I ran 10:28 per mile. Yes i take my gels with water or gatorade.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon May 25, 2015 10:55 am

It sounds like you had enough nutrition so I'm wondering about pacing. You shouldn't really have an energy bonk at 12 miles. If it was hotter than normal and you were trying to maintain your regular pace, then maybe you were trying to go too fast.

What pace were you running and what are your regular paces like? What pace are you hoping for in the marathon? If you've done a half already, what was the pace?
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Mon May 25, 2015 11:36 am

Jwolf wrote:It sounds like you had enough nutrition so I'm wondering about pacing. You shouldn't really have an energy bonk at 12 miles. If it was hotter than normal and you were trying to maintain your regular pace, then maybe you were trying to go too fast.

What pace were you running and what are your regular paces like? What pace are you hoping for in the marathon? If you've done a half already, what was the pace?

All of this. It's more than just fueling if you're "'bonking" halfway through the run.

Peter
Percy Williams

Postby Peter » Mon May 25, 2015 11:45 am

Slow pace for me is 11 per mile avarage is around 10:30 per mile. 9:15 is fast for me. I would like to do the full in 4 hours. Have never run a half.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon May 25, 2015 12:16 pm

What is your weekly mileage like? It sounds like you might have to slow down your long runs, especially if it's getting warmer, in order to finish them.

Unless you are doing over 60 miles per week, a 22-mile long run is probably too long anyway, but try for 18.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon May 25, 2015 1:38 pm

if it was a one-time thing I'd blame the heat and try again, like the first few people said. :)

If it's an ongoing issue (bonking in the middle) then look at other factors like pace and nutrition.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Mon May 25, 2015 9:16 pm

Four hours is very ambitious for a first marathon, especially if a 9:15/mile is fast for you.

A four hour marathon is going to require a 9:10/mile or less pace over a 26.2 mile distance.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue May 26, 2015 7:53 am

chunkymonkeymelonhed wrote:Four hours is very ambitious for a first marathon, especially if a 9:15/mile is fast for you.

A four hour marathon is going to require a 9:10/mile or less pace over a 26.2 mile distance.

+1

I say try not to set any time goals first time out - and just take in all you can learn from the experience - and make it the best one it can be. Fretting about a time goal for a first marathon only adds stress and high potential for disappointment. Take it easy and get it under your belt.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Peter
Percy Williams

Postby Peter » Tue May 26, 2015 11:21 am

Ok i think thats great advice from all of you. Will just run according to how i feel and enjoy. Thanks.

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Tue May 26, 2015 2:55 pm

Yep, it was definitely the heat. I was feeling it pretty hard last Sunday. Less than a week since we had snow on the ground, and the mercury was pushing 30 (plus a bit of humidity thrown in for good measure).

Running to the conditions is always a better option to running your "usual pace". I know, that's easier said than done. :)

MB Marathon is usually pretty hot and there are not many shady sections in the second half until you get onto Kingston Row. So the run in the heat was probably good practice. Use it, and learn from it. I've never run the MB Marathon without having to walk at some point. Just don't get discouraged by all the ankle-biters zipping past you in the relay.
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

Peter
Percy Williams

Postby Peter » Sun May 31, 2015 6:09 pm

Was an awesome long run. Got the 23 miles done. Pace was 10:29 per mile:)

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Sun May 31, 2015 6:52 pm

Glad to hear! Good luck at your race :)

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:16 am

Peter wrote:Was an awesome long run. Got the 23 miles done. Pace was 10:29 per mile:)

Nice job getting that done!!
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:01 pm

daddy_runner wrote: Just don't get discouraged by all the ankle-biters zipping past you in the relay.

This. On top of the sun trying to kill you, you're struggling in after 35k, that flat open stretch on Bishop Grandin, and people who started 2k ago in the relay are ripping past you.

Here's something I wrote about a gazillion years ago.

Summerland, Pembina, DON'T TURN ONTO JUBILEE, Salisbury House, Rich People's Houses, Assiniboine Park, Sculpture Garden, Wolsely, Legislature, Fort Garry Hotel, Lyndale, more Rich People's Houses, St. Vital Park, Bishop Grandin, Summerland, HALF A LAP ON THE TRACK AND YOU ARE DONE!
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Return to “Training ”