Walkers 2009 Challenge!

A place for walkers to discuss their unique needs
mischa
Percy Williams

Walkers 2009 Challenge!

Postby mischa » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:55 am

Any walkers still left on these forums?

I'm aiming to up the mileage to 1000 kms for the year of 2009 - and looking to move up to at least one 10k event during the year.

Anybody else?

I know there must be walkers out there lurking - come on in and post - we can all learn much from each other and gain support throughout the year! :D

mischa
Percy Williams

Postby mischa » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:09 am

... 15 days, no posts.. i'm all alone in this pursuit of walking .. i feel sooo SPEC-ial..

:lol:

garth
Bill Crothers

Postby garth » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:19 am

Actually i do a lot of walking in addition to runs. Probably do about the same mileage with each but have been tied in with the weather so far this winter. I am an outdoor only walker so right now I am trying to do at least 30 minutes of running per day on the treadmill and once it warms up a bit will get out and goal is for minimum 30 minute runs and 45-60 minute walks.
Please consider the jobs of those in the forest industry before deciding not to print stuff

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:32 pm

Me too! I have been out of commission with my fall a few weeks ago and the toe surgery but I am back at Curves 3x a week.

Once the streets clear up and the weather warms up a bit I will be out walking (asthma and cold do not agree )

Will be walking every other day i.e.: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturdays while Curves is Monday, Wednesday and Friday - so full week of exercise
once I gear up! :)

I'll be out there - never fear!!!!!

Karen
Karen, my 3 Girls' Nana

runcherylrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runcherylrun » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:22 pm

Due to some knee & achilles injuries, I've been giving Nordic Walking a try. Wow, what a work out ! :shock:

I'm kind of liking it :D

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:31 pm

runcherylrun wrote:Due to some knee & achilles injuries, I've been giving Nordic Walking a try. Wow, what a work out ! :shock:

I'm kind of liking it :D

Yeah - I know that! I took it for a few weeks at the RR during our half clinic. It sure gives the legs and cardio a good work.
Hope your injuries heal quickly :)
Karen, my 3 Girls' Nana

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:45 pm

I do a lot of walking as well, I just don't write about it very much.

I try to walk our dog an hour each night - usually we walk around the neighbourhood, stop at the plaza for groceries. During the nice weather I try to walk our 2 kids every day as well (haven't done as well lately). I figure every little bit of activity helps my fitness.

Lots of people complain about the suburbs and "car culture". I don't buy it completely, because we live in a neighbourhood designed for walking, there's a couple corner stores, and you still hardly see anybody walking, even in the summer, everyone still drives the 300 yards to the store or to school.

So part of it is to be a good example to my kids. If they spend their entire childhood seeing their dad walking all over the place, and walking them all over the place, hopefully they'll be more likely to do that themselves when they're old enough. I hope.

I probably won't post much here, but I do follow it with interest.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:44 am

Mike Runs wrote:Lots of people complain about the suburbs and "car culture". I don't buy it completely, because we live in a neighbourhood designed for walking, there's a couple corner stores, and you still hardly see anybody walking, even in the summer, everyone still drives the 300 yards to the store or to school..

Interesting. There are quite a few walkers in my neighbourhood--mostly dog walkers, but I also see people going to safeway and stuff (10 minute walk from my house).

I do a lot of dog walking too, usually about an hour a day in the winter and more in the summer. But I don't post about it because it's just obligatory dog walking, not a goal. :P
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:58 am

I used to be a walk-commuter. I would like to start again. I have a bus pass for the rest of the month, but when that's up, I'd like to start walking to and from work more (likely FROM more often than to just cuz that lets me sleep a little longer).
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

Kristie
Johnny Miles

Far away but walking all the same

Postby Kristie » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:44 pm

Sorry we aren't in the same province. I walk as many events as I run, maybe more.

Longest distance = 56km Time = 9:49:38 (even seconds matter when it's that long)

Favorite organized event - Portland Marathon - they are so good to walkers. I loved it. Not the best scenery but very well organized, great volunteers and the best shirts.

Dog gets me out every day and we try to organize "play dates" on the weekends where we walk anything from 5km to 12km.

mischa
Percy Williams

Postby mischa » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:19 pm

Portland has a Nordic Walking division, not many are entered tho.

I do NW 5 days a week - on weekends, my longer walks are with one or another of the 4 dogs.

Kristie
Johnny Miles

Postby Kristie » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:50 pm

mischa wrote:Portland has a Nordic Walking division, not many are entered tho.

I do NW 5 days a week - on weekends, my longer walks are with one or another of the 4 dogs.

I keep hearing about the benefits of NW over regular walking and the arm part I can really see it making a difference. There was an older man doing the 56km last fall and he said that if he was without poles - he couldn't keep up with his companions. Another lady that I walked with for some time used her arms a lot and managed to beat my overall time by 20 minutes and I'm fast.

I did the First Half on the 15th in 3:09, one of my slowest walked half's but it was a gorgeous day, met seuss who got me to this place and another really nice person too.
Aspire to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are

June 20 - Chips Not Dead Yet
June 20/21 - Easter Seals 24 hour Relay
June 28 - Scotiabank Half
July 1 - The Rock
July 18 - Summerfast
July 26 - Diva

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:34 am

I feel like misery needs company!!! Plantar fascitis(?) never can spell that correctly, has flared up again and for the past two weeks I have had to sleep with my brace on. I am actually afraid to hit the streets until this settles down once again. :cry:

I feel like I am letting all you walkers down. I can't even attempt Curves right now as the foot/heel spur are really sore. If it does not clear up in a couple of weeks I will have to see the doc and see what he says. I am doing the exercises he gave me and icing it but.....

Anyway, keep walking ladies/gents I am watching your progress! :wink:

Take care easy walking!
Karen
Karen, my 3 Girls' Nana

Kristie
Johnny Miles

Postby Kristie » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:43 pm

You have my undivided sympathy, I had a short stint with PF (I'm not going to try and spell it) that hasn't come back since I started with orthotics but I remember very well how painful it was. Take it easy, see the doctor, there's lots of folks out here rooting for you

July 1 - The Rock

July 18 - Summerfast

July 26 - Diva

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:49 pm

Hello Kristie,

Well, bit the bullet and called for physio. I go Monday. Can't take the aching and hurting anymore :(

Icing and brace just isn't working and the heel lifts the podiatrist put in my runners aren't helping. wahhhhhh...... (Yup that is an almost OAS senior crying :) ) ((enough wailing, Karen!! they can hear you on the west coast!!)

Won't be on the streets just yet.

Take care all
Karen
Karen, my 3 Girls' Nana

Kristie
Johnny Miles

Postby Kristie » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:39 pm

KaTyBrown wrote:Hello Kristie,

Well, bit the bullet and called for physio. I go Monday. Can't take the aching and hurting anymore :(

Icing and brace just isn't working and the heel lifts the podiatrist put in my runners aren't helping. wahhhhhh...... (Yup that is an almost OAS senior crying :) ) ((enough wailing, Karen!! they can hear you on the west coast!!)

Won't be on the streets just yet.

Take care all
Karen

I used a tennis ball and rolled it under my foot to stretch out the tendon. Gently, very gently and then firmer as it worked out. From my physio to you.

Take care and keep us updated - we're pulling for you

July 1 - The Rock

July 18 - Summerfast

July 26 - Diva

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:14 pm

Back from physio - yup, off walking and Curves for a month :cry:
Have a bad flare-up (and got heck for not going to see him sooner :oops: )
ah well, have towel pulls to do, hot/cold baths -30sec ice cold, one minutehot. twice a day. Actually felt pretty good after him working on my foot for 3/4 hr.
I go back next Monday - only once a week for now, because my doing what he prescribed will get the inflammation down enough for him to do other treatment.

I guess patience is a virtue at this point - it WILL get better. It had better because I really miss my walking.

Happy trails everyone!
Karen
Karen, my 3 Girls' Nana

Kristie
Johnny Miles

Postby Kristie » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:19 pm

KaTyBrown wrote:Back from physio - yup, off walking and Curves for a month :cry:
Have a bad flare-up (and got heck for not going to see him sooner :oops: )
ah well, have towel pulls to do, hot/cold baths -30sec ice cold, one minutehot. twice a day. Actually felt pretty good after him working on my foot for 3/4 hr.
I go back next Monday - only once a week for now, because my doing what he prescribed will get the inflammation down enough for him to do other treatment.

I guess patience is a virtue at this point - it WILL get better. It had better because I really miss my walking.

Happy trails everyone!
Karen

A month is not that long, not when you consider you'll be walking for years pain free - as long as you behave. I know it's really tough to wait it out but I have a friend with pretty well permanent plantar fascitis from not taking doctor's advice. Not worth it, not for a month off. We're rooting for you.

Kristie :dance:

July 1 - The Rock

July 18 - Summerfast

July 26 - Diva

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:43 pm

Thanks Kristie! it is good to know our Maniacs are there behind us all the way.
I will behave - it is just too sore to do otherwise :)

Karen
p.s. though it felt good after the physio but now it is hurtin' all over again!
Karen, my 3 Girls' Nana

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:00 pm

yay!!!!! :dance: physio told me I can walk ---- only approx 2km but had to promise that if it starts to ache I turn around and head home.

I am to continue the ice/hot water bathes, go back next Monday. I was there for 1-1/2 hrs!!! did she ever give my foot a workout :lol: but I am so relieved she sees an improvement.

I have to also see my trainer at Curves and have them give me a routine of exercises to do on the square thingy between the machines. Seems the PT thinks it is the jogging and jumping was what did the damage. When I go back in a month will discuss it then or maybe I will drop in and have them prepare for me before I start back.

I AM WALKING AGAIN!!!!! YAY!!!!

(OH MY GOSH, I SOUND LIKE A KID)
Karen, my 3 Girls' Nana

Kristie
Johnny Miles

Postby Kristie » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:15 pm

KaTyBrown wrote:yay!!!!! :dance: physio told me I can walk ---- only approx 2km but had to promise that if it starts to ache I turn around and head home.

I am to continue the ice/hot water bathes, go back next Monday. I was there for 1-1/2 hrs!!! did she ever give my foot a workout :lol: but I am so relieved she sees an improvement.

I have to also see my trainer at Curves and have them give me a routine of exercises to do on the square thingy between the machines. Seems the PT thinks it is the jogging and jumping was what did the damage. When I go back in a month will discuss it then or maybe I will drop in and have them prepare for me before I start back.

I AM WALKING AGAIN!!!!! YAY!!!!

(OH MY GOSH, I SOUND LIKE A KID)

That's great news! And what's wrong with sounding or acting like a kid?
A word in the ear - make sure your shoes aren't too old/tired. Just did an 8km on Sunday and ended up with shin splints, shoes are just too tired. My knees are usually the first indicator but of course I ignored that.

Again, great news, glad your back on your feet and without the pain (I am assuming)

:D

July 1 - The Rock

July 18 - Summerfast

July 26 - Diva

Jan
Percy Williams

Postby Jan » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:20 am

I know that the miles are not there but what you give up in distance you get back in beauty. www.leaveafootprint.ca

Leave a Footprint

noload
Percy Williams

Postby noload » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:51 am

I'm here I walk 2 kms per day. I started at high school now that I'm in college i never exactly have a goal but i just keep on walking and walking

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:12 pm

I've been walking to work every day since the new year - 6.4 km round trip. I never thought to actually log the distance until a month ago...wow...I am logging 32 km a week, (in addition to my regular running training). I am currently up to 512 km this year so far so could easily hit 1000 before the year is out, possibly before the summer is over. :shock: :shock:
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:19 pm

see my other posting :cry: I could just spit!!!!!

damn, double darn!!!! :twisted:
Karen, my 3 Girls' Nana

Return to “Walking”