..and what did YOU do all weekend?

A place for walkers to discuss their unique needs
KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

..and what did YOU do all weekend?

Postby KaTyBrown » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:31 am

:( - I was just plain lazy yesterday and today. With the rain and wind did not walk - yet (as of 9:30am Sun) but will go later on.

Hope you are all having a lazy day, too!

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:38 am

We're just heading out for a walk to take pictures around our neighbourhood.

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:21 pm

I walked to school and to the bar yesterday (and home from both), about 10k in total. But today, I may not even leave the apartment. I only woke up an hour ago. :oops:
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:06 pm

running angel wrote:I walked to school and to the bar yesterday (and home from both), about 10k in total. But today, I may not even leave the apartment. I only woke up an hour ago. :oops:

.....must have been a very uninteresting class if you headed for the bar right after and wanted to forget it :D by going to the bar (lucky you!)
stay in yr jammies and have take the rest of the day off - :P

CarrieH
Johnny Miles

Postby CarrieH » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:33 pm

we just got in from Winnipeg's first Weekend to End Breast Cancer. I'm so exhausted I could drop - but I'm in complete awe of the walkers at this event. I will never complain about my training schedule again!!! They walked 35 km the first day, and 25 km today. I've seen some of the worst blistering/bleeding/etc. feet I've ever seen and it didn't stop them! Talk about incredible generosity, support, sharing amongst walkers. Talk about determination - they completed an incredibly demanding training schedule, raised $3.3 million in funds for Cancercare Manitoba, had an incredibly high finish rate (a few badly injured/exhausted athletes needed rides at the end, but it was only grudginly that they stopped walking. It was a total honor to work on the support crew. What incredible athletes, every one of them. The finish was (totally coincidentally) timed to the local Gay Pride Parade - the parade goers definitely looked better that we all did @ that point - loved the 4" heels! :wink:

Hope the weather is as great next weekend for the Manitoba Marathon, fingers crossed!

sigth. LSD is gonna have to be Monday instead of Sunday!

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:05 pm

CarrieH wrote:we just got in from Winnipeg's first Weekend to End Breast Cancer. I'm so exhausted I could drop - but I'm in complete awe of the walkers at this event. I will never complain about my training schedule again!!! They walked 35 km the first day, and 25 km today. I've seen some of the worst blistering/bleeding/etc. feet I've ever seen and it didn't stop them! Talk about incredible generosity, support, sharing amongst walkers. Talk about determination - they completed an incredibly demanding training schedule, raised $3.3 million in funds for Cancercare Manitoba, had an incredibly high finish rate (a few badly injured/exhausted athletes needed rides at the end, but it was only grudginly that they stopped walking. It was a total honor to work on the support crew. What incredible athletes, every one of them. The finish was (totally coincidentally) timed to the local Gay Pride Parade - the parade goers definitely looked better that we all did @ that point - loved the 4" heels! :wink:

Hope the weather is as great next weekend for the Manitoba Marathon, fingers crossed!

sigth. LSD is gonna have to be Monday instead of Sunday!

YES! for sure thos who walk deserve our congratulations for completely an exhausting two day event. Some of members of my walking clinic are training for the Montreal event and I can only wish them the best of luck for a job that will help heal our fellow Canadian women.

added this today...
*and men who are also stricken with breast cancer. It is not only women who are stricken but many, many men also - to those who walked - again thank you!

:clap: Karen
Last edited by KaTyBrown on Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luvmybabies
Johnny Miles

Postby luvmybabies » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:07 am

Well, this week-end I went to cheer on my hubby as he ran the 5km race in TO. He did a great job again as usual!

I was originally planning to walk this race with a friend before my thyroid went crazy, I must admit I was feeling a little disappointed at the race start that I wasn't in that crowd getting ready to go, go, go. Hopefully soon I will be feeling better and able to get back at it.

I have great appreciation for everyone who walks/runs in these events to raise money for Breast Cancer research. My mother is a survivor of breast cancer for 11 years now. So thank-you CarrieH and anyone else who participated! :D
Bridie

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see."
John Burroughs

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:22 pm

Well, I went walking this weekend too - on Saturday with Bob and Donna (as in Donna_Ont). They were here visiting us for the weekend while their son, Derek, participated in a Special Olympics track meet in Belleville. He did fantastic by the way. Anyhow, after spending the morning at the track meet and freezing our butts off, then going to my friend's running store and all of us dropping a wad of cash on things from running shoes to fuel belts to clothes, we decided to go for a walk.

Well, that Bob and Donna are some MEAN walkers. I had to actually run a bit to keep up! There is a bit of a debate exactly how long it took us to cover 5K - Heather's garmin said 47 minutes and Bob's watch said 45 and something minutes. It was quite the good pace though, and included a very good sized hill. They are going to have no problem walking the 5K at Wolfe Island!

I am very proud of both of them. Last year at this time, Donna wouldn't have walked around the block. She has come a LONG way in less than six months. Donna, you are doing great! Keep up the good work!! And be nice to that personal pace bunny of yours! :wink:
Jane

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:27 am

runjanerun wrote:Well, I went walking this weekend too - on Saturday with Bob and Donna (as in Donna_Ont). They were here visiting us for the weekend while their son, Derek, participated in a Special Olympics track meet in Belleville. He did fantastic by the way. Anyhow, after spending the morning at the track meet and freezing our butts off, then going to my friend's running store and all of us dropping a wad of cash on things from running shoes to fuel belts to clothes, we decided to go for a walk.

Well, that Bob and Donna are some MEAN walkers. I had to actually run a bit to keep up! There is a bit of a debate exactly how long it took us to cover 5K - Heather's garmin said 47 minutes and Bob's watch said 45 and something minutes. It was quite the good pace though, and included a very good sized hill. They are going to have no problem walking the 5K at Wolfe Island!

I am very proud of both of them. Last year at this time, Donna wouldn't have walked around the block. She has come a LONG way in less than six months. Donna, you are doing great! Keep up the good work!! And be nice to that personal pace bunny of yours! :wink:

:clap: Three cheers for your friends! When runners have to really 'trot' to keep up - hey! they really ROCK! Wish them good luck from me at Wolfe Island I am sure they will have no problem and what a pretty place to have a run/walking event.

Karen

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:39 pm

Wow...tell Donna I'm looking forward to meeting her at Chien Noir...

Walking fast...when I lived in Ottawa I used to walk home from work...a 9km walk...that was before the days of becoming a couch potatoe...and before my running days.

Brisk walking...love it...just don't get to do it often enough...cuz of this darn running obsession :roll:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Return to “Walking”