Vibram five fingers in a marathon

An environment where you can be open & frank about your quest for speed

LisaAvery
Percy Williams

Vibram five fingers in a marathon

Postby LisaAvery » Thu May 12, 2011 7:26 pm

Have any established marathoners out there switched over to the new minimalist running craze and done a marathon in VFFs. I'd love to hear if your times were better or worse. I can easily do my 20mi training runs in VFFs, but the Ottawa marathon will be my first go racing in them.
Central Ontario's New Race Series
http://www.canirunning.com

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Re: Vibram five fingers in a marathon

Postby erinmcd » Fri May 13, 2011 7:15 am

There's a guy on birthdayshoes.com who did a 2:37 marathon in VFF sprints last year- I tried to find the report but couldn't. If I recall correctly that was something like a 15min PB.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri May 13, 2011 9:56 am

I don't have feedback on that question, but welcome to RM. :)

There was a guy at the vancouver marathon a couple of weeks ago who was completely barefoot. But he wasn't a very good ambassador for it because he looked like he was in a lot of pain!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

LisaAvery
Percy Williams

Postby LisaAvery » Mon May 16, 2011 9:04 pm

Thanks for the welcome.

I have no problems with the 20mi training runs, but I struggle to keep up a fast pace in the VFF. Can't decide whether to be brave or run in my Piranhas for Ottawa...

I'll keep you all posted if I run in the VFFs.

SteveF
Bill Crothers

Postby SteveF » Tue May 17, 2011 8:17 am

erinmcd wrote:There's a guy on birthdayshoes.com who did a 2:37 marathon in VFF sprints last year- I tried to find the report but couldn't. If I recall correctly that was something like a 15min PB.

Ahh got to love the irony. A barefoot fansite with the word shoe in the title, featuring tonnes of shoe reviews! :lol:

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue May 17, 2011 8:21 am

SteveF wrote:
erinmcd wrote:There's a guy on birthdayshoes.com who did a 2:37 marathon in VFF sprints last year- I tried to find the report but couldn't. If I recall correctly that was something like a 15min PB.

Ahh got to love the irony. A barefoot fansite with the word shoe in the title, featuring tonnes of shoe reviews! :lol:

True dat ... :lol: :wink: At least, they kept it to "minimalist" shoes, err movement ... :shifty: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

LisaAvery
Percy Williams

Postby LisaAvery » Sun May 29, 2011 7:43 pm

Well I did run Ottawa in my Vibrams.

I won't race in them again, it just feels too hard to run fast in them. On the plus side, my joints felt fantastic when I finished.

Because of the rain, my feet are swollen and blistered and ugly. I did find a really great new shoe at the expo though - I think the Saucony Hattoris will be all the best of a VFF mixed with a racing flat.

Congrats to everyone who ran this weekend!

SteveF
Bill Crothers

Postby SteveF » Mon May 30, 2011 5:29 am

LisaAvery wrote:Well I did run Ottawa in my Vibrams.

I won't race in them again, it just feels too hard to run fast in them. On the plus side, my joints felt fantastic when I finished.

Because of the rain, my feet are swollen and blistered and ugly. I did find a really great new shoe at the expo though - I think the Saucony Hattoris will be all the best of a VFF mixed with a racing flat.

Congrats to everyone who ran this weekend!

Congrats on your race. I saw a couple guys running in Fivefingers along the course. I also saw a guy in a monkey suit! I think they got equal stares! :lol:

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:44 pm

LisaAvery wrote:...I can easily do my 20mi training runs in VFFs...

I'm dumb at these discussions :oops:

Someone please tell me - what is the sign that one 'did not have enough support' for a run or race? Joint or other pain during a race? After the race?

Thanks!
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

rolfpal

Postby rolfpal » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:55 am

I have run 2 marathons in VFFs, Boston and Mississauga. My personal best is in VFFs.

In my experience you have to transition slowly, but it is worth it. You tend to get more calf soreness especially in the beginning, since the muscles are working harder.

I don't know if I am faster because of the minimal; shoes, but it feels like it. It also feels better and more natural to run. I also think you get more "runners high"

I for one will never go back.

Bets,

Rolf

LadyVo2
Johnny Miles

Postby LadyVo2 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:08 pm

Just saw this post...

My physiotherapist just ran Ottawa marathon in Vibram FF - actually, he took his shoes off at the last kilometre - he wanted to run barefoot for that part.
(he did not realize that this messed up his time - the timing chip was on the shoe he was holding in his hand :lol: )
This was his first marathon...
AKA Lady V
Races in 2013:
Course populaire Lasalle - registered, Not done
Scotia 21.1K Montreal - registered, Not done
My first race sine April 2012: Defi Gerard Coté - May 2013 - 5K - 25:41
Others to be added

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:50 pm

I wouldn't advise using any new technique/piece of equipment in a race until your training runs are at least as fast & comfortable as when wearing what you were using previously. Continue training with the VFFs, if you wish, but do some of your long runs using whatever shoes you use when you run your best to see if there is a difference. Until you can run as fast with the VFFs, stick with your other shoes on race day.

Return to “The Speed Zone”