Peppermint oil

The grisly details and tales of the road back

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Peppermint oil

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:47 pm

My new LMT suggested I put peppermint oil on a small heel spur. He said that was an anti-inflammatory and would slowly dissolve the spur.

I am trying it. It does feel good and seems to kill pain.

Anyone else heard of this?
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Re: Peppermint oil

Postby toobusy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:27 pm

I have heard of peppermint for the digestion (ie nausea) but didnt think of it as a topical thing. Although, menthol comes from the mint family and it is used in lots of topical ointments

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:30 pm

It's the menthol that will be the active ingredient, although the more active ingredient in other topical analgesics is methyl salicylate (found in oil of wintergreen). These are chemically very different.

If it works, go for it. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:31 pm

ultra monk wrote:My new LMT suggested I put peppermint oil on a small heel spur. He said that was an anti-inflammatory and would slowly dissolve the spur.

I am trying it. It does feel good and seems to kill pain.

Anyone else heard of this?

The main component of peppermint is menthol. Menthol depresses sensory receptors in local areas, so it's main function would be as a local analgesic, not an anti-inflammatory. There are a lot of folk remedies using peppermint as an antibacterial, antiseptic or anti-inflammatory. I have not heard of "dissolving."

From The Professional's Handbook of Complementary & Alternative Medicines (Fetrow & Avila):
Most of peppermint's pharmacologic activity is due to menthol which, in concentrations of 0.1% to 1%, depresses sensory cutaneous receptors and alleviates itching and irritation. in higher concentrations, it acts as a counterirritant by stimulating the nerves that perceive cold while depressing the nerves that perceive pain and itching. when applied to the skin, mentol causes an initial feeling of coolness, followed by a sensation of warmth. the cooling effect may result from direct desensitization of warmth receptors, and warming follows vasodilation of small blood vessels under the skin.

Menthol is generally recognized as safe and effective when used externally as a local analgesic or anesthetic and as an antipruritic.
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:33 pm

Oh, yeah- I missed that part.... it definitely won't dissolve a bone spur. That's a bit of hooey. Bone spurs generally just get reabsorbed on their own.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

KBO
Ben Johnson

Postby KBO » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:36 pm

Well, let me know if it 'dissolves' it because I have a charming one that has messed real bad with my foot for well over a year now. More seriously though, I've been told there isn't much you can do for a heel spur. Apparently most of us actually have them, it's just that most of them don't become an irritant. The only thing I've seen that may have some merit in actually 'getting rid' of it is the shockwave therapy, but I don't think that's well proven.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:10 pm

Works better with a shot of rum and a twist of lemon....maybe some crushed ice as well.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:44 am

As a matter of fact, using this oil on my heel has become part of my post run ritual. If all it does is what Carrie said (topical analgesic) then I'd say it works much better than the 30% methylsalicylic (forgot exactly what this is called) products which come in a tube. My heel has a much healthier appearance also.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:33 am

I have a funny story about peppermint oil. My MIL suffers from sciatica. I did some research and a lot of sites recommended adding two or three drops to your bath, so I got her some. A few days later I asked how it went. She burst out laughing and said, "They were not kidding about the two or three drops. I thought 'more is better' and put about ten or fifteen. I managed to sit for about two minutes, before I had to leap from the tub."

As you may have guessed, too much peppermint oil does not feel pleasant in certain delicate spots of the body. :)
What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:24 am

:lol:

:think: :shifty:

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:31 am

DonnaRigs wrote:I have a funny story about peppermint oil. My MIL suffers from sciatica. I did some research and a lot of sites recommended adding two or three drops to your bath, so I got her some. A few days later I asked how it went. She burst out laughing and said, "They were not kidding about the two or three drops. I thought 'more is better' and put about ten or fifteen. I managed to sit for about two minutes, before I had to leap from the tub."

As you may have guessed, too much peppermint oil does not feel pleasant in certain delicate spots of the body. :)

:lol:

There is a reason why the word "pepper" is part of the name.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:45 pm

:lol: Too funny about the bath!

It also can apparently stimulate labour in pregnant women- not that it applies to the original post, but just FYI for people reading and thinking of using it!
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”