Shin splints and preventative maintenance...

The grisly details and tales of the road back

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:40 pm

I have started a training program for a full but am concerned that my shin splints will make a reoccurrence. Last time, ART was a lifesaver! Can I use it as a preventative thing, or do I have to wait and see?
What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:00 pm

Before I trained for my first half-marathon, I struggled on and off with shin splints. I was convinced I couldn't run more than every other day and trained for my first half like that. When I realized I needed to run more days to improve, a friend convinced me I could run back-to-back days as long as I kept the pace easier and didn't try to increase mileage or intensity too quickly.

What really helped was learning to run lighter on my feet (less heel-strike and more mid-foot strike with a higher turnover). I do have the occasional Achilles and calf issues, but no more debilitating shin splints (which can lead to stress fractures if they progress). Good calf and hamstring stretching can also really help.

If you're just starting marathon training, make sure your base is good enough so that you won't be building mileage overly quickly. I often find that beginning marathon training programs build more aggressively than I could have handled the first time.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Shin splints and preventative maintenance...

Postby seuss » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:13 pm

agree with Jennifer on the calf and ham stretching for this - physio or massage or ART for maintnance wouldn't hurt either.
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

Ruteger
Johnny Miles

Postby Ruteger » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:45 pm

I was getting awful shin splints for a while. I've almost entirely taken care of them by switching my running style to a mid/forefoot landing. It's something that takes time to do but well worth the effort. I find that if I do start to get the shin pain I can normally train through it and it will resolve itself as long as I maintain the mid/forefoot strike.

Hope this helps!

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:40 am

Ruteger wrote:I was getting awful shin splints for a while. I've almost entirely taken care of them by switching my running style to a mid/forefoot landing. It's something that takes time to do but well worth the effort. I find that if I do start to get the shin pain I can normally train through it and it will resolve itself as long as I maintain the mid/forefoot strike.

Hope this helps!

On that note, I wonder too if shortening one's stride to more of a 'shuffle' as opposed to longer, loping strides helps prevent shinsplints. I'm a natural midfoot lander, with shorter strides, and when I started running I had a lot of aches and pains - EXCEPT shinsplints.

I also note that now, with winter running, I'm overextending sometimes because of the slippery footing, and I am getting sore on the front of the shins at times. So, I think midfoot landing plus shorter strides is helpful.
Sandra...Air Force wife & Professional Kid Wrangler...I knit to stay sane, I run to eat!
2012 - year of perseverance, endurance, survival, and earning blackmail material for life. :D
My running log: http://www.runningmania.com/forum/viewt ... 18&t=44092

PB's:
Army Run HM (Sep 18, 2011) - 1:55:14

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:41 am

Yes, over-striding is often blamed as a cause for shin splints. I think that was part of my problem before, as I alluded to above in my long-winded reply.

BUT its not really shuffling unless you're going really slowly. You will be opening your stride without OVER-striding when you're moving quickly. It's more about matching your stride reach to the under-body landing position (rather than out in front of you). The chi-running style helps this.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

b_squared
Bill Crothers

Postby b_squared » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:56 am

Donna- I'm curious which version of shin splints you've had in the past - medial or anterior? I've had medial issues in spring 2009 and spring 2010 and without getting into all the potential causes and remedies, I've avoided them over the last two-half months by re-starting with short runs (i.e 3km) and increasing an average of less than 5% per week. If you've had them before you know the tell tale soreness that are the first warning signs, and you should rest asap if you feel them coming on. Luckily the calf is pretty accessible for self-treatment with thumbs, stick, tennis ball, roller, etc., and that is a good idea for preventative maintenance, imo. Hoping you don't have a reoccurrence.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:07 pm

Hard to break on old habit, but, I gotta go back to my usual question when people start talkin about these type of issues ... and, that is .... What shoes are you running in (cushion/neutral, stability, motion control) ? How old were they (age and mileage) before you started experiencing your issues? and, When was the last time you had your gait assessed?
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:03 pm

I wanted to wait to answer until I was at a keyboard - I did not want to do this one letter at a time on the IPod Touch.

Okay: In the past it has definitely been anterior shin splints - the worst was definitely during Basic Training, when I got home I could barely walk normally. I am starting pretty slowly, loosely following a plan, but re-doing weeks if I feel it's too much - I have the luxury of time, might as well use it!

Andy - I generally use the neutral cushioning shoe. I have not had my gait analyzed, but I can say I have a very high, rigid arch. I am much more aware of my shoes than years ago, and replace as needed.

I am definitely going to take this slow, I am also trying to run some in the vibrams, in an effort to force me into not only landing softer, but not over-striding.

Thanks for all of the advice, I am going to stay on top of this and treat as needed.

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:10 am

Shin splints were my nemesis for years- every time I tried to take up running, I would get them, and I'd quit running for another year.
What seemed to get me over them for good was changing my stride. For some reason I thought that in order to go fast I had to have a big stride, and I was way overextending. When I started to focus on landing midfoot- shorter stride, faster cadence- my speed increased and my shin splints disapeared completely. Now I pay try to pay a lot of attention to form- landing softly and keeping my movements efficient.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:32 pm

DonnaRigs wrote:I wanted to wait to answer until I was at a keyboard - I did not want to do this one letter at a time on the IPod Touch.

Okay: In the past it has definitely been anterior shin splints - the worst was definitely during Basic Training, when I got home I could barely walk normally. I am starting pretty slowly, loosely following a plan, but re-doing weeks if I feel it's too much - I have the luxury of time, might as well use it!

Andy - I generally use the neutral cushioning shoe. I have not had my gait analyzed, but I can say I have a very high, rigid arch. I am much more aware of my shoes than years ago, and replace as needed.

I am definitely going to take this slow, I am also trying to run some in the vibrams, in an effort to force me into not only landing softer, but not over-striding.

Thanks for all of the advice, I am going to stay on top of this and treat as needed.

You can't imagine the number of times that I heard that statement from customers when I worked at the RR, Donna ... Customers swearing that they believe that they have a high arch, or that they are of a certain size, etc., and when I put them on the measuring thing for the foot size, and it ends up that it shows their foot being 1-2 sizes larger, they are still in denial that, it's not right .. :shock: :? :wink: And, the same with their gait ... When walking, it may appear that one is one thing, but when running, it may totally different ... in effect, it's where your foot goes through the motion, from heel to mid-foot to fore-foot that may or may cause an overpronation or not ... It still would be a good to have your gait assessed, just to rule this out, one way or another ...

And, as others have said, stride length would also be revealed through a gait assessment, as well as determining if one leg may be longer than the other, resulting in some sort of an imbalance issue ...

Regular stretching, visits to my chiro/art/rmt and daily sessions on the roller and with the Stick has helped me alot, from my own experience ...

So, if we can eliminate the cause as being a "bio-mechanical" issue, then a closer look at your training plan may reveal something ... could it be the Terrible Too's ?? Too Much, Too Soon, Too Hard ?? :what:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:54 pm

I though I'd never be able to run because of shin splints, then I discovered ChiRunning, I bought the book and changed my posture. I didn't get results right away, but I worked at it and kept my footfalls light, iced my shins when I needed to, and slowly ramped up my mileage. Now I don't suffer at all from them often smiling to myself as I hurtle down a downhill thinking, "man, this would have really hurt when I shin splint problems".

http://www.amazon.ca/ChiRunning-Revolut ... 982&sr=8-1

The first few chapters are tree-hugging type fluff, but once you get to the meat of the book, it is awesome.
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:30 pm

"shin splints" are a form of compression/compartment syndrome. The stuff in the compartment (muscles) becomes too large for the compartment and then the compartment, which is made of fascia that is continuous with the soft tissue covering around the tibia, begins to pull on the bone which causes pain. Activity leads to muscle enlargement due to increased blood flow...

Fascial compartments can stretch (in the absence of some sort of pathology) but the process is slow and takes place over time with consistent, but appropriate 'force'. This is why shin splints is almost always a too much too soon injury. You have to increase the load on this connective tissue slowly to allow this adaptation to continue.
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:46 pm

I really wish more therapists understood and explained things as well as Terri does.

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:59 pm

Jwolf wrote:I really wish more therapists understood and explained things as well as Terri does.

we are lucky to have her. she should be teaching this stuff - she has learned it so well.
2010 - gone viral?

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:29 am

seuss wrote:
Jwolf wrote:I really wish more therapists understood and explained things as well as Terri does.

we are lucky to have her. she should be teaching this stuff - she has learned it so well.

I wish she was living near here :-h I've got shin splints in my left leg that just doesn't want to clear up on it's own, not to mention the issues with my knee, and I don't have an RMT or ART person out here.
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:33 am

I have been taking it much slower this time around, and have not had a reoccurrence. I will also say I have noticed the weight loss helped.

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:55 pm

abhainn wrote:
seuss wrote:

I wish she was living near here :-h I've got shin splints in my left leg that just doesn't want to clear up on it's own, not to mention the issues with my knee, and I don't have an RMT or ART person out here.

Haven't had the techniques class on anterior/posterior compartment syndrome yet :) I think it's next week though :)

2013:

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:32 pm

fe.sweetpea wrote:
abhainn wrote:
seuss wrote:

Haven't had the techniques class on anterior/posterior compartment syndrome yet :) I think it's next week though :)

That's okay. I'm sure by the time you've learned I'll still be suffering.

Do you know what to do for adhesion's under surgery scars?

Seriously, Victoria is quite beautiful and you have at least 1 built in client :-h :wink: :lol:
Andrea Michelle

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:53 pm

abhainn wrote:

Seriously, Victoria is quite beautiful and you have at least 1 built in client :-h :wink: :lol:

How old is the scar and is the scar causing you any problems (e.g limiting a range of motion etc)? There are friction techniques that can be used to break apart some of the adhesions from scarring. You can't get rid of scar tissue (it's what took the place of the tissue that was damaged) but you can attempt to negate some of the problems that it can cause by trying to break the adhesion and realigning it to be more like the tissue surrounding it. It's not the most pleasant of techniques and depending on the scar, may or may not work.

I think S is secretly hoping that I will suggest we move west...... :)

2013:

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:10 pm

fe.sweetpea wrote:
abhainn wrote:

How old is the scar and is the scar causing you any problems (e.g limiting a range of motion etc)? There are friction techniques that can be used to break apart some of the adhesions from scarring. You can't get rid of scar tissue (it's what took the place of the tissue that was damaged) but you can attempt to negate some of the problems that it can cause by trying to break the adhesion and realigning it to be more like the tissue surrounding it. It's not the most pleasant of techniques and depending on the scar, may or may not work.

I think S is secretly hoping that I will suggest we move west...... :)

Tell S I'm all for a move west :-bd (I love the new smilies)

Surgery was almost 8 years ago for exertional compartment syndrome in shins. 4 surgery scars and only one gives me issues which I'm pretty is just coming up from running outside - I never had any problems while on the TM. The scar itself healed okay though it's the one that took longer to heal than the others and it's a bit squiggly but there's no range of motion issues. Just after a run I can feel a sharp pulling underneath and this last Thursday there was some lingering pain even a few hours after the run. This happened in 2009 when I was training for my half and switched to outside running. ART guy (miracle worker) did something and it was mostly better but not long after I decided not to do the half and went back to TM and it stopped bothering me altogether.

Hoping there's something I can do myself

Donna sorry for the hijack @};-
Andrea Michelle

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:02 pm

No hijack - this is still about how to help and prevent shin splints.

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:44 am

abhainn wrote:
seuss wrote:

it's not related to your past compartment troubles is it?
2010 - gone viral?

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:13 am

seuss wrote:
abhainn wrote:
seuss wrote:

it's not related to your past compartment troubles is it?

No. I'm pretty sure it was a combination of old shoes (bought back in spring of 2009), change of surface (treadmill to concrete/cement) and too much too soon (no running for 2 months then out 5 days a week for minimum of 45minutes - yeah yeah I know L-) 8-| ). All that in a lovely 2-3 week package. After which I stopped running until I could get new shoes.

The right leg has cleared up on it's own but because I tend to favor it over the left because of my knee the left gets the brunt work and as such takes longer to clear up. And now that I'm running on a bit of a schedule it's taking even longer. One, maybe 2 ART sessions and it would probably be just fine.
Andrea Michelle

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”