**** pain

The grisly details and tales of the road back

codePoet
Percy Williams

**** pain

Postby codePoet » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:53 pm

I ran on the sidewalk for 2 minutes today and now my shins are hurting. It's not a strong pain but it does hurt when I put pressure on my legs (like jumping up and down or something). It doesn't usually hurt when I do my normal jogs on turf but the second I run on pavement it hurts. I'm sure it will heal in like 24 hours but I'm afraid it's going to happen again.

I don't want to be stuck running on turf forever so what do I do about it? Lighter landings on hard surfaces maybe?
"If I go jogging in the snow people will think I'm a crazy person... better wait till it gets dark" -Me

codePoet
Percy Williams

Re: **** pain

Postby codePoet » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:03 pm

The title of this post is supposed to be SHIN PAIN but I think I accidentially typed S-H-I-T. Wouldn't be the first time. LOL
"If I go jogging in the snow people will think I'm a crazy person... better wait till it gets dark" -Me

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:50 am

REST!!!!

Sorry for yelling, but, I can't emphasize this enough. STOP. Rest until it feels better and DO NOT RUN until it doesn't hurt at ALL when you walk, hop, poke, prod, etc etc. In fact, wait until it does NOT hurt, and add an extra day or two. If it hurts like that again the second you run even after resting, see your doc - that's NOT normal shinsplints.

Take it from someone who thought it was 'just' muscle aches, then 'just' shin splints, then 'just' tendonitis, and ended up running herself into a stress fracture. I haven't run since the first week of March, and I'm FINALLY now being cleared for 3 minutes (yes, THREE minutes only!!) of running today. And for stress fractures, that's considered a 'quick' recovery. :shock:

It is not normal to feel pain like you describe during the run or within (and this is what most people don't know) 24 hours AFTER the run. If you do, it's a sign that something needs to rest and/or heal up.

Cross training is every runner's friend. Do something intense but non impact instead, like swimming, pool running/aquajogging, spinning (don't do standing stuff), or cycling. Trust me, you do not want to end up where I did. :roll: If you don't feel 100% better with a week of rest, see your doc.
Sandra...Air Force wife & Professional Kid Wrangler...I knit to stay sane, I run to eat!
2012 - year of perseverance, endurance, survival, and earning blackmail material for life. :D
My running log: http://www.runningmania.com/forum/viewt ... 18&t=44092

PB's:
Army Run HM (Sep 18, 2011) - 1:55:14

b_squared
Bill Crothers

Postby b_squared » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:36 am

I think i read elsewhere that you don''t have proper training shoes? Is that still the case?

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Shin pain

Postby La » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:46 am

codePoet wrote:The title of this post is supposed to be SHIN PAIN but I think I accidentially typed S-H-I-T. Wouldn't be the first time. LOL

You can edit the title of your post. Click on the edit button in the first post and change the title.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Re: Shin pain

Postby Avis » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:01 am

La wrote:
codePoet wrote:The title of this post is supposed to be SHIN PAIN but I think I accidentially typed S-H-I-T. Wouldn't be the first time. LOL

You can edit the title of your post. Click on the edit button in the first post and change the title.

But remember to keep it "family-friendly!" :wink:
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

codePoet
Percy Williams

Postby codePoet » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:15 am

My shins feel much better this morning. I'm pretty sure I just went a little overboard with the running yesterday. I do have proper shoes now but I was FULL OUT running, the kind where your feet are practically slapping the ground. I'll just stick to my usual light jogging this week and see if the pain returns or not.

Is shin pain supposed to improve after you "get in shape"? I've been leading a sedentary lifestyle for 2 years prior to my fitness program and I read that your bones weaken as a result.

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:47 am

codePoet wrote:My shins feel much better this morning. I'm pretty sure I just went a little overboard with the running yesterday. I do have proper shoes now but I was FULL OUT running, the kind where your feet are practically slapping the ground. I'll just stick to my usual light jogging this week and see if the pain returns or not.

Is shin pain supposed to improve after you "get in shape"? I've been leading a sedentary lifestyle for 2 years prior to my fitness program and I read that your bones weaken as a result.

Slow down. Speedwork is the most advanced form of training, and even in a full training program you do very little of it. It's the easiest way to hurt yourself, especially if you don't have a big enough running base for it. And, your feet should NEVER slap the ground - if they are, that means you need to work on soft landings, better form and carriage, or you're going to hurt yourself.

The shin muscles WILL get stronger as you run more, but, shin pain like you describe is not normal. Especially if the pain continues after you run, during normal everyday activity, or worsens as you run - those are stress fracture symptoms.

Basically, your cardio and muscular systems will improve FAR faster than your bones will adapt. Often the bone is the weak link, and the most likely to give way, even for experienced runners. There's a reason for the 10% rule, and it's not because your muscles and cardio can't improve faster, it's because bone can't adapt to more than 10% (and that's a MAX limit, not a min!!!) of intensity OR distance over any given period of time. So, in other words, don't ever increase more than 10% in time/intensity/distance per week......aka, don't increase 10% in more than ONE of those elements.

Take it easy, and you'll stay healthy!
Sandra...Air Force wife & Professional Kid Wrangler...I knit to stay sane, I run to eat!
2012 - year of perseverance, endurance, survival, and earning blackmail material for life. :D

PB's:

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:16 am

I've seen quite a number of newbie runners, and even veteran runners when moving up to a new distance for the first time, fall under one of following categories, when experiencing shinsplints and/or similar symptoms ... that is, they may be running in the wrong shoe (type, category, etc.) and/or the "terrible Toos" ... too much, too soon, too fast .... and/or both ...

I have found that stretching is always a good thing, and having access to a professional RMT / ART practioner does wonders, in both preventing and recovery ...
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:25 pm

codePoet wrote:My shins feel much better this morning. I'm pretty sure I just went a little overboard with the running yesterday. I do have proper shoes now but I was FULL OUT running, the kind where your feet are practically slapping the ground. I'll just stick to my usual light jogging this week and see if the pain returns or not.

The muscles of your lower leg are wrapped in a fascial covering and the fascial covering forms compartments. This fascial covering is also continuous with the covering around your bone (the periosteum of the tibia). When muscles work they 'swell' as blood flow to them increases. With appropriate stress this fascial tissue will expand to accommodate the increase in size. Too much load too soon means not enough time for that adaptation to occur. This means pain because the periosteum/bone is very highly innervated and thus feels pain readily. Too much continued stress and you will begin to get microfracture of the tibia as the periosteum pulls at the bone and you will eventually either end up with a stress fracture (best case scenario) or compartment syndrome (worst case scenario)
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:12 pm

I agree with several others here--you shouldn't have shin pain such as you describe. I started out as non-physically-fit as they come, and I never had a problem with my shins. Please, take it easy--and don't slap your feet!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:15 pm

PinkLady wrote:REST!!!!

:lol: ;)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

codePoet
Percy Williams

Postby codePoet » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:42 pm

from what i've read in the replies I think the best thing for me to do is take a week off. I'm not afraid to loose my gains if I'm only off for a bit.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:59 pm

Irongirl wrote:
PinkLady wrote:REST!!!!

:lol: ;)

Wise words for a Young Grasshopper ... :shifty: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:54 am

Rule of thumb: Concrete is 10 times harder than asphalt. And asphalt 10 times harder that dirt. Don't do speed work on concrete.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:12 am

Can you keep your runs on turf or trails or mix trails and road?
I had similar issues a few years ago, and even after winter when I would start increasing my mileage, I'd sometimes end up with shin pain. And then I discovered trails...
Ease into trail running, start with grass and smoother dirt trails before going to rooty, rocky, hilly trails.
Ultrarunner again

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:06 pm

From my expierience you don't need to rest from shinsplints. And you shoudn't be slapping your feet while running. It should be a soft impact.

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:45 pm

codePoet wrote:FULL OUT running, the kind where your feet are practically slapping the ground.

As a former sufferer of shin splints, my $.02 are:
1- Rest
2- Ice
3- When you do get back to running, pay attention to your form. Slapping sounds are not good. I had to make a concious effort to pay attention to my footfalls, and after a while running softly and lightly started to come naturally. Shortening my stride also helped me with shin pain.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:53 pm

erinmcd wrote:3- When you do get back to running, pay attention to your form. Slapping sounds are not good. I had to make a conscious effort to pay attention to my footfalls, and after a while running softly and lightly started to come naturally. Shortening my stride also helped me with shin pain.

This.

I had terrible problems with shin splits as a beginner runner. Now I know it was because I was trying to run too hard and over-striding at first. Focus on being light on your feet and shortening your stride. You'll be slower at first but it will help you develop a more relaxed style that will eventually allow you to progress more easily.

Sometimes overly cushioned shoes allow people to run harder than their bodies are really ready for, too.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:31 pm

Wouldn't a slapping sound indicate a super-strong heel strike? That's got to be jarring.

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:34 pm

Joe Dwarf wrote:Wouldn't a slapping sound indicate a super-strong heel strike? That's got to be jarring.

No. Actually, slapping feet indicates weak dorsiflexion muscles, aka anterior tibialis area (the ones along the outside front of the shin bone that is supposed to resist the pull of gravity as you walk/run, so you *don't* slap the ground.)

Common cause of shin splints in newer runners especially. A great exercise for strengthening them is wall sit shin raises, which are explained here:

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/arc ... plints.htm

And, a soft landing is all about having a strong core......it really helps to imagine your torso (hips up) lifting away from the ground, and resisting collapsing with every step......think like a ballet dancer, it's all about the 'pulling up' to be the lightest on your feet.

PB's:

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”