Clueless Beginner!

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
Swaybe
Percy Williams

Clueless Beginner!

Postby Swaybe » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:59 pm

Ahh, I'm not sure if this forum is too intense for me or not, but I'll give it a go!

I've lived a pretty sedentary lifestyle, I'm not going to lie. I've spent the last few years going through these bouts of intense physical activity that would last for 2-3 weeks and then end in me being COMPLETELY discouraged.

This September I got a pass from my university that gave me essentially free membership to the gym just down the street from me. So, in light of a recent breakup (horrible reason for embracing physical exercise but whatever, it got me to the gym!) I went! And I've kept going!

Just this week, I decided it was time to move from the elliptical machine to...running. My first run was outside as a nice flat bird sanctuary and I was completely surprised when I ran around the entire thing without stopping! I was pretty slow, but I did it!

Since then, I've stuck to the treadmill and I've managed to run 3k in 30 minutes.

My question is...what now? My ultimate goal is to be able to run a 10k that's in May. I don't know if this is really possible and I have NO clue how to go about doing it...but at the moment I'm just increasing my speed on the treadmill and seeing how far I can go in 30 minutes.

I am completely clueless, so any help or points in the right direction will be appreciated! =)

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Clueless Beginner!

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:16 am

welcome here! You are in the right place, as we love beginners. How did you find us??

You don't have to keep trying to go faster and faster. How many times per week are you running now? It's good to mix up your runs... do some longer and slower, see if you can add a few minutes here or there, do some shorter and faster. Just play with it and have fun.

There are lots of beginner programs out there too for working up to 10k, but you don't *have* to use one; you can just work up your distance on your own if you prefer. It's all about enjoying it and challenging yourself, without overdoing it while your body adjusts. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Swaybe
Percy Williams

Postby Swaybe » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:50 am

I typed 'running forum' into google and this was the first result! Haha, it was a very efficient search!

I'm running about 3-4 times a week at the moment. I think a program would probably be the best bet for me, since I tend to lose focus doing things that are unstructured...and I honestly have no idea what the best way to go about doing this is so I'd probably hurt myself! =P

I have to say though...I'm really excited about this! I've always really admired runners and it's nice to hopefully be on my way to becoming one!

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:00 am

Welcome here!

The beginning of your journey sounds like so many of ours here. Good luck to you in meeting your goals.
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:24 am

Welcome to Running Mania. :D
There are lots of "free" programs for various distances that you can get off the Net.

Running Room also holds clinics and for many people it's a great way to get introduced to running. Not sure if you live near a RR.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:42 am

Welcome here!

Since you are looking for some structure, here are links to some online programs via the resources menu on this site.

http://www.runningmania.com/resources/p ... /index.php
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

horselady
Bill Crothers

Postby horselady » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:54 am

Welcome! You will get alot of great advise here on running and running programs. Running room is a good place to start or just surf the net for ones if you want some structure to it. As Ultraslacker points out, it need not be formalized program but mixing up your runs, some fast, some slow, some abit longer etc...keeps it interesting and fun!
" The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man" Winston Churchill"
2013 Plans so Far
Princess Half Marathon Orlando Feb 23
Run for the Reach Water StationVolunteer April 14
Spring Fling Running Thing April 21 10k
Gran Fondo Road Race July 20th
Ride the Rideau 100km Sept 8
Army 1/2 Marathon Sept 22
http://ridetherideau.ca/give
Smattering of horse shows

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:03 am

Welcome to RM!

You will get lots of great advice and support here. :D
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:57 am

You found the right place for great advice and support!
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

Swaybe
Percy Williams

Postby Swaybe » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:35 pm

Thanks everyone! =)

I do live by a Running Room, actually. Wow, I thought they just sold shoes and nice jackets...shows how much I know! I'll have to go down there and see what sort of clinics and things they have...although, I would prefer something that's free!

Ok, now time for some stupid questions! I've noticed that a lot of these programs are around 10 weeks...so if I'm gearing towards a 10k in May would it makes sense to start a program now or wait until it's closer? Or maybe do my own thing now and then start a program? Do I even have enough time between now and May to be able to run a 10k or am I just setting myself up for failure? Also, I have no idea what any of the lingo on this thing means! Is there a running dictionary available somewhere? =P

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:06 pm

I can PM you the 10K beginner program from the Running Room if you want. It's a 10 weeks program and week 1 is 3 runs: 4K, 3K, 2K. The second week is 4K, 4K, 4K, 2K. It goes up like that until you run your longest distance of 8K on week 10. I'm sure you know if you're ready for that kind of a program. If you start it now, you could do each week twice if needed, to let your body adapt to new distances and to get cut-back weeks if you feel an injury coming.

Personally, 9.5K was my longest run before my first 10K. Depending on how strong you are mentally, you may need to get at least one 9K run in before your 10K race to build your confidence. I know I needed to know I could run 9.5K when I got to the start line of my first 10K.

You could also do a 5K program right now, followed by the 10K program.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:23 pm

And to follow Kelodie,

I have a great starter 5K program I could email you. Just let me know.

I'm doing the 5K program right now myself as I've only just climbed back on the wagon again recently.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

Chainsaw Baby
Bruce Kidd

Postby Chainsaw Baby » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:54 pm

If you state that you want to run a 10K race, then the door has opened.

There is little difference between running 10K and 15K, as both require the same training base. 15K is an acceptable distance to build on for a half marathon. The really tricky part is that once you decide to run a race with the word "marathon" contained in the title, you are in really deep trouble. So, here is some advice from someone who has benn running for 38 years:

Consider it a hobby. It takes time and energy; you will prioritize running over many other aspects of your life, and you will reap unsolicited dividends. Is there something else you would rather be doing? No? Then here is a guideline:

Run long once per week.
Rest the day after speed work
Set up a day to run with friends once per week
Run somewhere new at least every month
When on vacation, explore the area by going for a run. Just watch out for the wild horses on mountain passes...
Try a new race every year

You will note that any advice from other runners on dealing with injuries will not be followed by the runners giving advice... I'm not sure why this happens!
It's a hill. Get over it!

www.runnningchallenged.blogspot.com

Swaybe
Percy Williams

Postby Swaybe » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:58 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone! I was going to start a 5k program right after I made this post, but I came down with a nasty chest cough that wouldn't go away...I tried running but it just made my cough worse. Then...exams happened. Bad excuse, I know, but I'm ready to get back into it!

I like the idea of doing a 5K and then working on a 10k program, and I'd definitely appreciate it if you would email me ones you think are good!

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:26 pm

Good Luck!! You can do it
IMC 2015

Tashamac

Postby Tashamac » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:50 pm

Hello everyone....
I am a newbie to this site and saw "clueless beginner" posting, and thought "Oh thank god I am not the only one out there!

I have decided that after claiming that I am a runner for the last 8 year years that I would finally eat my words and actually do the the 1/2 marathon in Vancouver that I have always wanted to!

Well.....
I started training 6 days week on my trusty treadmill in October and now am proud to say I have 3 black toes (battle scars) and I have survived the leg twinges/spasms in the middle of the night!

It is reassuring to see that I am not the only "crazy, as my friends call me" one out there.

I hope to connect with many of you

P.S.....writing this on my rest day with my glass of wine and popcorn (girl has to have some perks!!)

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:11 pm

Tashamac wrote:Hello everyone....
I am a newbie to this site and saw "clueless beginner" posting, and thought "Oh thank god I am not the only one out there!

I have decided that after claiming that I am a runner for the last 8 year years that I would finally eat my words and actually do the the 1/2 marathon in Vancouver that I have always wanted to!

Well.....
I started training 6 days week on my trusty treadmill in October and now am proud to say I have 3 black toes (battle scars) and I have survived the leg twinges/spasms in the middle of the night!

It is reassuring to see that I am not the only "crazy, as my friends call me" one out there.

I hope to connect with many of you

P.S.....writing this on my rest day with my glass of wine and popcorn (girl has to have some perks!!)

mmmm wine and popcorn. you are going to fit in well around here.

but black toenails already? maybe you need to go up a half size. i say this because this time last year i was fresh into Vancouver half training and had 4 of them.

welcome aboard.
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:15 pm

Tashamac wrote:Hello everyone....

Welcome!
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Tashamac

Postby Tashamac » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:55 pm

thanks for the warm welcome.....

I so look forward to a Friday night glass of wine; popcorn was an extra treat tonight ~ hubby; daughter jumping up and down (geez you would think they might be deprived of junk food in our house!)

Black toes due to bad feet genetics!.....afraid I have the cursed curled toes!
Had the pleasure of shopping for runner's over the x-mas holidays; strolled into RRoom only to have an 18 year old gal wearing ugs/tights ho/humming asking if we needed help.
I was dumb and didn't wear proper running socks so I had to borrow a pair from her to try them on - only to have her react to my "lovely" toes!

For some reason she was horrified; had never seen them before!!....Well my hubby thought this was so hilarious (he is not a runner btw)....anyway he went back to the store a few days later to buy me some stocking stuffers and the girl remember him.....well actually my black toes!! Great!!!!! Now I have a bad rap!.... GREAT!!!...lol!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:11 am

Tashamac wrote:thanks for the warm welcome.....

I so look forward to a Friday night glass of wine; popcorn was an extra treat tonight ~ hubby; daughter jumping up and down (geez you would think they might be deprived of junk food in our house!)

Black toes due to bad feet genetics!.....afraid I have the cursed curled toes!
Had the pleasure of shopping for runner's over the x-mas holidays; strolled into RRoom only to have an 18 year old gal wearing ugs/tights ho/humming asking if we needed help.
I was dumb and didn't wear proper running socks so I had to borrow a pair from her to try them on - only to have her react to my "lovely" toes!

For some reason she was horrified; had never seen them before!!....Well my hubby thought this was so hilarious (he is not a runner btw)....anyway he went back to the store a few days later to buy me some stocking stuffers and the girl remember him.....well actually my black toes!! Great!!!!! Now I have a bad rap!.... GREAT!!!...lol!

How does someone who sells running shoes for a living not be used to black toes?? :)

Welcome here!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Tashamac

Postby Tashamac » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:23 am

Oh good now I can tell my hubby to stop laughing at me!

Having my coffee this morning; waiting for it to kick in so I can go run my butt off and torture myself for the next 2.0 hours!.....we do this why??.....lol

Return to “The Scenic Route”