Back in the Saddle Again

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Back in the Saddle Again

Postby randomgirl » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:34 pm

Hi all! I have been seriously unmotivated - depressed really at how I lost ALL my fitness during pregnancy and shortly thereafter and subsequently lost all my motivation.

So now that I have to begin at the very beginning again, I am making a goal of running once a week for the next month. After this time, I will reconsider my goal.

Hopefully I will find my running mojo that way. Anyone have any other tips for finding running mojo???

:)
A
"Somedays you just need to do stuff on your someday list. just in case someday doesn't arrive" ~Seuss, as inspired by Spencer

"No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch."

"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."
Mary Pickford

Next up:
No Pressure! Run when I want, cycle when I want, swim when I want ;)

eme
Lynn Williams

Re: Back in the Saddle Again

Postby eme » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:37 pm

Welcome back!

No real tips for getting the mojo back - just get out the door and move.

It might help to maybe treat yourself to some new songs (if you run with music) or since you are a Momma now, 20 minutes to have some 'me time' might do the trick :lol:

Good luck with your comeback!

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:28 am

I responded well to a "retail incentive" - I bought a couple of nice running shirts (and running bras) that fit me properly. I realized that I was never getting my mojo back in running clothes that used to fit!

Good luck!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:08 am

look who it is!

hey - i am doing Sun Run Learn to Run - in week 4 [run 3/walk 2]. isn't it time we did another 10 km together?

glad to hear about the new bras - you could put an eye out with those things. [oops - that was Hammie talking - but i am sure you get my drift!]
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:17 am

LOL! Yep, I'm back, and am sooo slow running with the jogging stroller that I might change my name to randomturtle.....

:) I definitely need a good supportive bra now (everything changes after a baby, doesn't it?!) and could ABSOLUTELY use another 10k with Seussy! I've been doing run 2 walk 1 - could probably up it to run 3 walk 1. Wanna aim for the Sun run Seuss????

xoxo
RG
"Somedays you just need to do stuff on your someday list. just in case someday doesn't arrive" ~Seuss, as inspired by Spencer

"No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch."

"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."

Mary Pickford

Next up:

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:50 am

randomgirl wrote:LOL! Yep, I'm back, and am sooo slow running with the jogging stroller that I might change my name to randomturtle.....

:) I definitely need a good supportive bra now (everything changes after a baby, doesn't it?!) and could ABSOLUTELY use another 10k with Seussy! I've been doing run 2 walk 1 - could probably up it to run 3 walk 1. Wanna aim for the Sun run Seuss????

xoxo
RG

it's a date!
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:12 am

YAY!!!!! Who else is in???

RG

Mary Pickford

Next up:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:34 pm

randomgirl wrote:YAY!!!!! Who else is in???

RG

I'll be there but I have a date with my son for this one. :) We'll be run/walking it too, but probably longer runs and walks.

Glad to see you're back at it, RG. I remember when I was out with the stroller I'd sneak in bits of "powerwalking" every once in a while on days when I wasn't otherwise exercising. Setting two days/week for "you" might help to make it more of a habit.

Good luck.. I'll be keeping close eye. (and I should come out and meet you guys for a walk and fish n chips some time!)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:24 am

Walk and fish and chips sounds great!

I think that's the key for me - to make it a routine. TBH, it isn't much fun running with the stroller yet. I thought I was slow before! It is good training though - I think it will ultimately make me a stronger runner when I don't have the stroller!!!

For now, I will vow to run once a week - when that becomes routine, I'll add in a second run day. That's worked for me for the past 3 weeks, so let's see where it goes!

And we'll have to do a post Sun Run brunch with all of us!

Thanks for all your support!!!

RG

Mary Pickford

Next up:

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:23 pm

Woohoo for getting back at it, and for goals. :) maybe we need to virtually challenge each other to run, that would give me a kick in the rear end as well.
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:55 pm

yes, consider the stroller strength training!

just about every one of my runs since I started again has sucked. You are not alone. :)

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:48 pm

Thanks! It is nice to know that I am not alone - tbh, I see a lot of happy stroller runners around here and it can be quite dejecting :(

OK, I challenge you to a run by the end of the week! I'll be going tomorrow if it isn't pouring!! :)

RG

Mary Pickford

Next up:

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:07 pm

I ran today on the track. it was blah!

It's supposed to be sunny and 7 on Friday. I have a flat path near my house I can go back and forth on :) Plus, then John gets fresh air.

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:10 pm

YAY FP - blah or no, it is better than sitting on the couch eating old halloween candy (not that I know anything about that...)

I ran today too, even though I was sooooo tired I just wanted to go back to bed. I did 6X 3 and 1s. Now I feel better - but still sleepy!!!

A

Mary Pickford

Next up:

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:46 pm

I have no idea where I heard it (or if I just made it up :lol: ), but apparently the stroller can make running seem up to 20% harder because of the resistance. Just think how strong you'll feel running without it!

I'm trying to convince myself, mostly because we just sold the single running stroller today and are going to buy the double soon :shock: . 28lbs of toddler plus 15lb of baby plus 30lbs of stroller... oh my. I don't want to think about it.

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:59 am

Hammie - you are my hero! Seriously, I can't even imagine it! I was a turtle at running before - the stroller makes me a snail, and I think if I had a double I'd just be a rock, sitting there, waiting for someone to push me downhill or something...

Yesterday's run seriously screwed up Maia's napping schedule. She fell asleep 10 minutes away from home, woke up when we got home, then decided that she wasn't tired after all and was up another 2 very grumpy hours. Then she had a looong nap, but wouldn't go down for her second nap and so was up for 5 very grumpy hours.

Any idea how to make it so that they don't fall asleep????

RG

Mary Pickford

Next up:

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:24 am

randomgirl wrote:Hammie - you are my hero! Seriously, I can't even imagine it! I was a turtle at running before - the stroller makes me a snail, and I think if I had a double I'd just be a rock, sitting there, waiting for someone to push me downhill or something...

Yesterday's run seriously screwed up Maia's napping schedule. She fell asleep 10 minutes away from home, woke up when we got home, then decided that she wasn't tired after all and was up another 2 very grumpy hours. Then she had a looong nap, but wouldn't go down for her second nap and so was up for 5 very grumpy hours.

Any idea how to make it so that they don't fall asleep????

RG

I can lend you my toddler. The whole run you'll hear, "baby sleeping? (poke poke poke). Nope! Baby awake!"

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:11 pm

LOL! That sounds exactly like what I need... except I am not so sure I could run with 2.

You crack me up!

RG

Mary Pickford

Next up:

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:01 pm

I was happy John slept during the run today. I have a catnapper...so I timed it so nap/run should have been at the same time!

Only 20% harder? I was hoping maybe 70...or 80...

Did my run outside today, instead of on the track. I like outside better, but the road I was running on is not flat. I thought it was flat...I ran back and forth along the same 500m stretch twice, so I didn't have to worry about intersections or hills with the stroller. It was MUCH easier going west than east!

Anyway, I did my run today :) I completed my half of the challenge! Glad to hear you got your run in yesterday, rg, even if it did mess up naptime...

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:14 pm

YAY FP - you are kicking my butt on the challenge. *Maybe* I can get another run in sans stroller on the weekend!!!

RG

Mary Pickford

Next up:

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:19 pm

Keep up the good work ladies :D

Randomgirl... thought you bought a bike :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:57 pm

LOL! Yup, have a bike too - but no chariot thingy for the baby :( Have to find a rental place nearby I guess! My husband will KILL me if I get any more gear!

RG

Mary Pickford

Next up:

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:20 am

In terms of sleeping- I just bring a sweatshirt/book and then after I am done running, I 'conveniently' end up at *$ and grab a coffee and if I was lucky also get a few minutes of reading in. As soon as G shows the slightest sign of waking up though, I have to start walking or he is UP!

It is harder now that he sometimes only takes one nap, and I need to get him to be asleep for longer or he gets so cranky. But, I now wheel him in the garage, prop the door to inside so I can see/hear him and let him sleep in the garage in the stroller :lol:

Oh, and no run for me, I sprained my back on friday. It is just starting to feel normal, so I may go tommorow if it gets even better today.
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:20 am

Hmmmmm - that's a good idea! After all, one benefit is that it does have a basket. And there's an awesome coffee shop nearby. Now would she stay asleep in the stroller - that's the real question. I'll have to test that theory... :) Thanks!

Don't run if you twisted your back - I find that with back things, they only get worse the harder you push them! Next week! I plan on running tomorrow. :) I'm on 3 and 1's now!!! yay!

RG

Mary Pickford

Next up:

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:57 am

can't imagine having to push a stroller. keep up the good work, everyone! :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Return to “The Scenic Route”