Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Kristi » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:38 pm

I took Alex out today for our first stroller run of the season and realized that it won't be long before he has outgrown the running stroller :( He is pretty cozy in there and quite happy, but if he gets any taller, his legs will hang over. He is very motivational though, which is nice. Everytime I stopped to walk - "Why are you walking Mommy? You said we were going to run to the library - why aren't you running?"

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:05 pm

Kristi wrote:I took Alex out today for our first stroller run of the season and realized that it won't be long before he has outgrown the running stroller :( He is pretty cozy in there and quite happy, but if he gets any taller, his legs will hang over. He is very motivational though, which is nice. Everytime I stopped to walk - "Why are you walking Mommy? You said we were going to run to the library - why aren't you running?"

cute!

I'm seen pictures of turd's daughter with her legs pretty bent - if he wants to be in there longer, he'll figure it out. :)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:31 pm

So glad to be past the stroller running phase!

I'm training for a half and it's going well. Long run at 16-18 km and tempo runs up to 10 km at goal pace. 3 long runs left and one will be in San Francisco!
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:58 am

IronColl wrote:So glad to be past the stroller running phase!

I'm training for a half and it's going well. Long run at 16-18 km and tempo runs up to 10 km at goal pace. 3 long runs left and one will be in San Francisco!

Awesome!
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:49 am

Kristi, that's hilarious!! I love it!! I can just see Nathaniel doing that in 3 or 4 years. Geez on family runs I'll be getting it from both sides!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:41 pm

I'm sad to be nearing the end of it! I had planned to do one final race with Z in the stroller (I've done it the last 2 years with him), but it looks like we have a conflict that weekend :(
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:43 pm

Major victory in my books today! Baby*Smiles is 7lbs 10oz now! I worried he wasn't putting on weight and he is doing great! For those that don't know, he has Down syndrome and weight gain is a real concern for the development. I was wanting him to gain and he did :dance:

Other than that concern things are going great. I'm a walking zombie but I'm ok with that. My little man is worth it!

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:45 pm

Miss*Smiles wrote:Major victory in my books today! Baby*Smiles is 7lbs 10oz now! I worried he wasn't putting on weight and he is doing great! For those that don't know, he has Down syndrome and weight gain is a real concern for the development. I was wanting him to gain and he did :dance:

Other than that concern things are going great. I'm a walking zombie but I'm ok with that. My little man is worth it!

Yay for weight gain! Way to go little Mr*Smiles!

(and Momma*Smiles :D)

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:46 pm

jes wrote:

I'm sad to be nearing the end of it! I had planned to do one final race with Z in the stroller (I've done it the last 2 years with him), but it looks like we have a conflict that weekend :(

You've had a good "run" with Z in the stroller though! I am insanely jealous of all you running mommas with cooperative little ones who loved the stroller. If he's still ok with it, you can proably push him this summer too :)

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:48 pm

Miss*Smiles wrote:Major victory in my books today! Baby*Smiles is 7lbs 10oz now! I worried he wasn't putting on weight and he is doing great! For those that don't know, he has Down syndrome and weight gain is a real concern for the development. I was wanting him to gain and he did :dance:

Yay! That's great that he's gaining weight. That is always a concern at the start. Sorry you are a zombie. You are welcome here among the rest of the zombies. Yes, I am still one 4 years later :P

2014 Races:

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:18 pm

I was going to say Green Beaver too and it's manufactured in Hawkesbury ON. That's the one that we plan on using and I will have to get my little diva some shades too. :)

That's great that Baby*Smiles is doing so well. Yeah, those early days are hit and miss but the 5+ hour stretches are sooo nice. I'm almost getting them again but A is going to bed much earlier so I usually use that baby-free time to do fun stuff like catch up on emails, knit and gasp, going out with friends solo!!! I'm going on my first baby-free evening excursion for an hour or so tomorrow night!!! :dance: I'll be "on call" though so let's hope that I make it to the restaurant in Hull, QC and can actually chat with my friends. I saw a bunch of 8 week olds at my Fitmom exercise class today and they were so sweet.
Carm

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:21 pm

AndyM wrote:
jes wrote:

You've had a good "run" with Z in the stroller though! I am insanely jealous of all you running mommas with cooperative little ones who loved the stroller. If he's still ok with it, you can proably push him this summer too :)

Yeah, I could probably do a short run with him this summer. We still use the stroller to walk home from daycare in the afternoons and he's happy enough. He'd probably be ok for 5k or so.

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:54 pm

I can still take both boys out together in the chariot and they like it - they've been bugging me already as to when I'm going to start running them to school for the drop off. It's a LOT of work to push two 40lb wiggly boys in the chariot. They are quite happy to be pushed around though, which is nice.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:20 pm

I'm so so glad to hear about Baby Smiles. I know how it feels to be concerned about weight gain!

And... Do zombies steam clean their floors?? I think you're doing pretty well!! :D

In other news I found a great sunscreen! It smells awesome and is non-nano, which I learned today means it can't absorb into his bloodstream. Here it is... It was $17.99, not bad for the amount. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:06 pm

I think I have most of you on FB, but, for those that I don't, and, those that don't follow my up to the minute postings....

I had a moment yesterday.

Delilah and I went for a 4.2 km run/bike together! She learned how to ride her two wheeler with pedals only two weeks ago. I suggested she try to come with me - I was planning to go to the bank machine which is about 2km away, fully expecting to have to turn around.

She did amazing! My overall pace was 7:10/km (which is my steady pace these days)...although, the actual pace was fast/slow/sprint/slow... :) She did so well, recovered from a few almost falls, and, really "got" the slowing down at intersections/driveways.

It was really amazing.

I have vivid memories of this being one of my first runs with her in a stroller as well!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:01 pm

How awesome!

I had such fun when Jake rode his bike while I ran. He has already been asking when we can "run together" again.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:15 pm

Awwwww that's so awesome Kiza!!! It really seems like most of your kids are interested in being active, which is great. Hopefully I can impart that in N too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:58 am

How are all the mommies doing!? I've fallen out of the habit of checking the other threads on RM but I like to check in with the mommies and mommy friends who hang out here. Are you getting out and enjoying some of this spring weather? What are you training for? Spring races? Another baby? Keeping up with your baby?

I'm back into the groove of hard marathon training in preparation for a solid marathon at ORW. I had a bit of foot issue that sidelined me for a bit in March but all seems to be well again.

Just thought I'd say hey!

2014 Races:

Personal Bests:

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:56 am

Good to hear from you Andy! I'm doing great. Baby*Smiles weighed in at 9lbs yesterday! He's 6 weeks old today. :D I love his noises and his smell and the big eyes he gets when he first wakes up.

No races planned. I'm thinking I will do the army run though - 5k not the 1/2 :) Al offered to be with Baby*Smiles while T and I ran together. I think that's a great idea! Now to execute the plan....

At our midwife appointment yesterday we were asked about future kids and now you Andy :lol: ;)

Spring is finally here and I have been taking the time to get out and walk the dog with Baby*Smiles in the carrier. Thanks again for it Lisa, it is getting lots of use!

Hope you are all doing well!

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:30 am

I'm doing well! One more week of intense training before my half in 2.5 weeks. Quick chick has been pushing me in training and it's paying off.

Glad others are doing well too. And "hey" back at ya!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:52 am

Awwwww Smiles, 6 weeks was when N started to smile. The morning SMILES will make the big eyes even better!! I'm so glad to hear all is well with you and that he's gaining weight. :)
We are doing awesome here! N makes our day every day with his smiles and laughs. He's loving the pool and he loves trying new foods. He loves going for stroller runs too! I'm running 5-6 days a week most weeks, though most of my runs are fairly short. That said though, this week hasn't been the best with the weather, and I'm fighting something. Minor stuff though. I'm running Sporting Life next weekend! I'll be ok with anything under my 20 week pregnant time (53:20), happy with anything under 50, and THRILLED if I'm under 48. It's a flattering course, and I've gotten my tempo pace down to about 5:00 for about 8K, so I think I'll do ok. I might not race anything else till the fall, except maybe a 5K in June. Mat leave budget combined with the fact that I'm not good at racing in the summer, much as I love summer running. :D
Glad you checked in Andy... and I'm thinking 3:30 for you in May!! For sure!!
And Colleen you are doing AMAZING. You'll rock your half for sure.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:20 am

I am working on being consistent again. I missed a ton of training due to the plague/getting my house ready to list/other stress. I'm frustrated with my progress being reset again.

I have a half that I am signed up for in August, so I need to get consistent and build distance again.

Kids: John is 4.5 and for the most part is really sweet, sensitive and polite. He has a moments, though, especially towards Damon. I was the meanest mom ever yesterday, we were at Superstore, and John decided Damon wasn't listening, so he bit him. Damon got the free cookie, John did not.
Damon is 3, and holy cow is he ever 3. He is so smart and has a funny little sense of humour, but when he doesn't get his way, man. Many time outs.
Morgan is 13 months (how did that happen?) and is in the must destroy and climb everything stage. She is the one that is an issue when I am trying to get the house neat for showings, she always does something that requires cleaning as I am packing them out the door!

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:49 pm

QuickChick wrote:And Colleen you are doing AMAZING. You'll rock your half for sure.

I hardly come to this forum, but once in a while I check in to see how all the mommies are doing.
I just had to say I agree 100% with this statement.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Thu May 08, 2014 8:08 am

Hey Ladies,

Just thought I'd share an interesting article I came across today. Personally, I've really been struggling with the physical ups and downs related to monthly cycles the past couple of years and can totally relate to what the author speaks to in her article. It was reassuring to know that so much of what I've noticed about my own body is felt by others too. On the bright side, it looks like my body will be synced up nicely for top performance as it relates to this "stuff" for my upcoming marathon :D

http://www.jennyhadfield.com/runningandyourmenstrualcycle/

2014 Races:

Personal Bests:

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Thu May 08, 2014 4:37 pm

It's a bit early, but I might forget later: Happy Mother's Day to all you Maniac Moms! What an inspiring group of women you are! :D
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Return to “The Scenic Route”