Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
jes
Jerome Drayton

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby jes » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:11 pm

I find having a consistent schedule and set plans with friends to be key for me. Andy and I have our Tuesday 'date' each week, I run with my track group on Thurs, and I run long with Andy and/or others on one weekend day. Those are sacred in my schedule. The other runs get fit in here and there, but they're generally the first to go. A second weekend run, although it's in my schedule, often doesn't happen in favour of family activities.
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:07 pm

I am glad to read all the updates. Time sure does seem like its going by. How can all these babies be so big already?

For me, it's all about scheduling. I have 2 mornings a week that are kid free and I use that time to my best advantage. With work and activities there is only one week night that we have as family time. I am also lucky that I have a treadmill as a back up plan. Honestly by the time Thursday comes my energy is pretty low.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:58 pm

I'm another one that's all about scheduling, and, friends. I have my set times, and, I just go and do it then. Sure, the house is a disaster and the kids might be whining, but, I go anyway. :)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:17 am

Glad to see this thread revitalized!

I think that you have to be ok with sometimes being a bit selfish and putting yourself first. Things like a tidy house can slip to the side, but getting in some regular exercise makes for a happier, healthier mama! From a practical point of view, I find running in the morning works best for me. I am solo parenting a lot of the time due to DH's schedule, so I use the treadmill and the stroller as much as I can, and then also get help from family and friends. I have another friend with a husband who works shift work, and she has found an excellent babysitter willing to come early on the weekend so she can get in a long run. I also try and combine my training with social time by running with friends, so I'm using the time doubly well! Harder when I have a little babe, but hope to get back into that more as Felix gets older and I can more easily be gone longer.

I know I've recommended it on here before, but Another Mother Runner is an awesome book/blog/podcast/facebook page run by two amazing mom runners, and is a huge source of inspiration for me as I try and figure out how to be an active mom.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:51 am

scrumhalfgirl wrote:Glad to see this thread revitalized!

I think that you have to be ok with sometimes being a bit selfish and putting yourself first. Things like a tidy house can slip to the side, but getting in some regular exercise makes for a happier, healthier mama! From a practical point of view, I find running in the morning works best for me. I am solo parenting a lot of the time due to DH's schedule, so I use the treadmill and the stroller as much as I can, and then also get help from family and friends. I have another friend with a husband who works shift work, and she has found an excellent babysitter willing to come early on the weekend so she can get in a long run. I also try and combine my training with social time by running with friends, so I'm using the time doubly well! Harder when I have a little babe, but hope to get back into that more as Felix gets older and I can more easily be gone longer.

I know I've recommended it on here before, but Another Mother Runner is an awesome book/blog/podcast/facebook page run by two amazing mom runners, and is a huge source of inspiration for me as I try and figure out how to be an active mom.

Totally agree! I have the shift working DH, so lots of times I need to workout in the house since he is gone at night. The treadmill has been very handy or even a quick DVD or youtube video and I love the Nike Training Club app, you can do a wicked workout in a short period and it syncs your itunes to it and talks to you. We alternate going to the gym too. One person goes first drives home and the other heads off or we sometimes use the gym childcare. The other fun option is family time at the pool. We take turns swimming laps and alternate swimming with owen. When Owen was your little guy's age I could pop him on the floor for a bit or do it after he went to sleep. Give yourself 20 minutes after he goes down and it will help you get a better sleep too.

Here is my update! My little baby is 6 and a sports fiend. My proud moment of the week was getting a call from a novice hockey team (7 and 8 year olds) asking him to affiliate to the team when they are short players. He is still in Timbits/Initiation for (4-6 year olds) but is getting a rep as a really good little player. :D It wasn't so long ago I was running with him in the stroller. Time flies! :D

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:23 pm

Glad to hear all you moms are doing so well & embracing parenthood :). I agree w/ Tori, time does fly. It doesn't seem like so long ago that I was struggling to find sitters to get a short run in & using the jogger (and double jogger). Now my babies are 11, 13 & 15 - yikes! Two of them sometimes run w/ me & I'm, more often than not, chasing them :).

One thing I'd highly recommend is investing in is a home treadmill. I didn't get one until my kids were older but should have bought it much sooner. My husband travels a lot and it makes the logistics of getting that run in so much easier. It's hard to pass on a run when all you have to do is go to your basement :).

Just after Christmas is a great time to buy one - lots of good sales! And you don't need anything fancy or pricey. Just make sure it has 2.75 CHP (my husband did some research beforehand). I bought mine at Canadian Tire and have put a ton of miles on it in 3 years. It's still going strong :).
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:15 am

Thanks! I have been trying to walk to work (it's 5.5k). There are no showers so running to work isn't really an option. We can't afford a treadmill or a jogging stroller. I guess making time to run in the dark (early AM or after bedtime fpr B in the PM) would be my best bet!

Tori congratulations! That's great news :)
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Jwolf » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:53 am

You don't have to spend a huge amount on a jogging stroller and there are always good used ones for sale - but if you still don't do that then a power walk with your regular stroller is a good option.

Another thing to consider is some other home exercise equipment- we didn't have the space for a treadmill although I would have loved to have one at home. But I did have an exercise bike that I would use if I couldn't go outside or run on my own. Or if you own your own bike, a bike trainer is a great option. I just set up mine so I'm an expert now ;) and I wish I had had it when my kids were young.

Oh and yes- mine are teenagers now but it doesn't seem like so long ago that I was also dealing with these issues. I agree with Jesse and others that it's ok to be selfish and make time for yourself - and it's not really selfish if it makes you a happy mom. I've been a lot better of a mom when I've been active. (And I also love "Another Mother Runner." :) )
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:55 am

I'm really struggling to fit my runs in. We are all adjusting to the Kindergarten routine, and my entire house is crabby and tired. I really need to come up with a plan that is going to work, as I have been missing a lot of runs. I don't have any dedicated "child-free" time, nor do I have a treadmill.

On the plus side, I have made contact with a group for spin classes and swim training (total random encounter when I was registering John and Damon for skating - the woman at the desk was wearing a tri necklace and I asked her about it), so I will be able to start those activities. I also just realized that I can do a run while the boys skate - even if it's just 20 minutes (their lesson is a half hour, unparented, and I have roped my mom into watching Mo when the boys have their lesson).

I am trying not to get down about not running. I am still walking almost every day, straight uphill to John's school, so that's something.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:33 pm

Miss*Smiles wrote:Thanks! I have been trying to walk to work (it's 5.5k). There are no showers so running to work isn't really an option. We can't afford a treadmill or a jogging stroller. I guess making time to run in the dark (early AM or after bedtime fpr B in the PM) would be my best bet!

Tori congratulations! That's great news :)

I know some people who run at work (like at lunch or in the morning) without showering - I used to do it sometimes in the non-hot weather. Baby wipes are fabulous! In the winter, you don't sweat too much, so might be worth a try? When I biked to work, I would wash my hair before and bike with wet hair in a braid, and when I got to work it would still be wet, so I could rebrush and style.

As for strollers, I've seen three wheeled strollers on the used groups here for as little as $50. Or put the word out through your network and maybe someone has one they're willing to pass along (or lend out) for free.

Another vote for at home non-running workouts. I like the Jillian Michaels DVDs (and they're only like $10) or there are lots of free bodyweight bootcamp style workouts on youtube (free!).
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:04 pm

FishPants wrote:I'm really struggling to fit my runs in. We are all adjusting to the Kindergarten routine, and my entire house is crabby and tired. I really need to come up with a plan that is going to work, as I have been missing a lot of runs. I don't have any dedicated "child-free" time, nor do I have a treadmill.

On the plus side, I have made contact with a group for spin classes and swim training (total random encounter when I was registering John and Damon for skating - the woman at the desk was wearing a tri necklace and I asked her about it), so I will be able to start those activities. I also just realized that I can do a run while the boys skate - even if it's just 20 minutes (their lesson is a half hour, unparented, and I have roped my mom into watching Mo when the boys have their lesson).

I am trying not to get down about not running. I am still walking almost every day, straight uphill to John's school, so that's something.

Not to put a damper on this plan - but...for our skating lessons, it was requirement to have a parent in the stands - if a kid gets hurt or needs to go off the ice for any reason, they call the parent over.....
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:43 pm

Irongirl wrote:
FishPants wrote:I'm really struggling to fit my runs in. We are all adjusting to the Kindergarten routine, and my entire house is crabby and tired. I really need to come up with a plan that is going to work, as I have been missing a lot of runs. I don't have any dedicated "child-free" time, nor do I have a treadmill.

Not to put a damper on this plan - but...for our skating lessons, it was requirement to have a parent in the stands - if a kid gets hurt or needs to go off the ice for any reason, they call the parent over.....

If that's the case, then at least I will get some knitting done.

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:10 pm

Congratulations to the hot mamas who raced their hearts out today!

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:14 am

After our talk about being selfish and guilt about getting in our runs, I just wanted to share a little story from my weekend. DH was away all last week for work, getting home in the middle of the night on Friday. Saturday morning I got up early with the kids and took them out for a run, so he could get a bit more sleep since he'd gotten home so late. On Saturday night, we'd planned out our day for Sunday, and I had said I was going to go for a short solo run in the morning. All my runs all week had been on the treadmill or with the stroller, and I wanted an alone run.

Well, C woke up at 5:30 on Sunday morning, waking me and the baby up at the same time. DH took over C so I could get the baby back to sleep, and both he and I ended up half waking/half sleeping with our respective kids. When I got fully up around 7/7:30, I felt bad that DH had been up with C for two hours and was going to bail on my run or take her with me. The self-inflicted guilt was setting in! Thankfully, DH pushed me out the door and I was so glad I went. Even just 30 minutes by myself was a good recharge. Sometimes we all need those reminders!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:44 pm

Awesome!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:40 am

Merry Christmas mama runners! Look forward to seeing pics of your little ones. Hope Santa brings you all lots of happy miles for the year ahead!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:25 am

You too Scrummy!!

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:53 pm

Happy Easter! How is everyone?

I'm going to the gym. Haven't been running but hopefully will be out there soon! Baby*Smiles is going to daycare, seemsto be going well. Nothing much new - just checking in!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:57 pm

Miss*Smiles wrote:Happy Easter! How is everyone?

I'm going to the gym. Haven't been running but hopefully will be out there soon! Baby*Smiles is going to daycare, seemsto be going well. Nothing much new - just checking in!

thanks for checking in! we're doing well - it's been a busy past 6 months with buying/selling/moving/sewer-back-uping, but there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Kids are great - C and I have been gong for runs, either in the evening or at the end of our stroller runs. The other night she took off and shouted "I'm faster than you Mama, because I have more energies than you do. You're tired from chasing after Felix all day!". So wise, those young ones.

Training is super - right in the middle of intense marathon training and loving it.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:12 pm

We're great too! N is so funny, so cute, and so much fun. He's signed up for the 200m Wee Lads and Lassies run at the Perth Kilt run, and I have NO concerns about him completing it! He's been insisting on walking to the park pretty much all the way the last few times (just over 400m). He has a cute little RR jacket too. :)
Running is not too bad with me- I'm signed up for the Yonge 10k, and I'm signing up for the GoodLife half asap. I'm hoping to be close to pb shape, but I'm definitely a bit less ocd about my results at this point... I'll put in the best training I can, give it my best on race day, and it is what it is. I've had some brutal insomnia lately which has thrown a bit of a wrench in my training (not due to N! He's been great) but I'm still getting in at least one fast workout a week, a long run, and a couple of other runs. Now that the weather is starting to look like it might actually be reasonable soon, I will be outdoors more during the week. I didn't feel safe in the dark with questionable footing.
I'll be soooo happy when I can reliably run without a jacket and the shivers!!!

So glad to hear BabySmiles is doing well in daycare. I can't believe he's a year!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Sun May 10, 2015 8:40 am

Happy mothers day to all the RM mamas!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun May 10, 2015 1:21 pm

Miss*Smiles wrote:Happy mothers day to all the RM mamas!

indeed! some of my fave mother runners!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

rockstar79
Bill Crothers

Postby rockstar79 » Sun May 31, 2015 12:34 am

Well... Since the last time I checked in this thread, I ran a marathon and had (another) baby. And what's new in here? :D

Getting back into it slowly as I am much heavier than I would like to be. Planning on running the Seattle half in November. Have seen lots of awesome runs on the facebooks from some of the momma's... Looking forward to reconnecting with the rm crew!
Next?
:)

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun May 31, 2015 5:17 am

rockstar79 wrote:Well... Since the last time I checked in this thread, I ran a marathon and had (another) baby. And what's new in here? :D

Getting back into it slowly as I am much heavier than I would like to be. Planning on running the Seattle half in November. Have seen lots of awesome runs on the facebooks from some of the momma's... Looking forward to reconnecting with the rm crew!

great to see you here! not much action on this thread but lots of us are running!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:41 am

Great to see you, rockstar!! Did you have a boy or a girl? When? How is everything going?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Return to “The Scenic Route”