Running and Weight Gain :(

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
pts
Lynn Williams

Running and Weight Gain :(

Postby pts » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:56 pm

SO, in the past few weeks I have been running 5ish k (sometimes more, sometimes less) about 3X a week. And now I am of course gaining weight (about 3 pounds up from 3 weeks ago). I know I am eating more, and I knew that I would be hungrier and potentially gain once I started running (since I am one of those run and gain weight types) but I am grumpy. It seems if I don't run (but still be active walking, hiking and carrying G around everywhere) then I lose, as soon as I put running in the mix, i gain. :x
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Re: Running and Weight Gain :(

Postby abhainn » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:36 pm

I'm like that too. I've never lost weight with running as part of my routine. The best weight loss success I had was when I was walking for about an hour a day 4-5 days a week.
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:56 pm

I'm like that too. I keep my weight stable or I gain weight when I consistently run. The only way I can lose weight is by being sick for a while. Then, running helps me keep the weight off. :?

ETA: I don't think you'll gain a lot of weight from running. Your body probably needs to adjust and then you'll stop gaining.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:33 am

Kelodie wrote:I'm like that too. I keep my weight stable or I gain weight when I consistently run. The only way I can lose weight is by being sick for a while. Then, running helps me keep the weight off. :?

ETA: I don't think you'll gain a lot of weight from running. Your body probably needs to adjust and then you'll stop gaining.

I hope my body adjusts and I stop. I was at my lowest weight since about 3rd year Uni (when I was working out a tonne). And now I am just putting it all back on!

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:48 am

Honestly I would think it would be in your head, thinking you need to eat more. Thats only 15km a week. You don't need any extra calories for running that much. I maybe understand for someone running over 50km a week, and definatley understand with someone running 100km a week. But with 5km your burning 300-500 calories depending on your weight, thats not that much. When I wasn't injured I was running around 30km a week and was only eating 2500 calories a day and losing weight, so it's pretty much you just telling your body you need more calories, when you don't need it.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:57 am

ROW wrote:Honestly I would think it would be in your head, thinking you need to eat more. Thats only 15km a week. You don't need any extra calories for running that much. I maybe understand for someone running over 50km a week, and definatley understand with someone running 100km a week. But with 5km your burning 300-500 calories depending on your weight, thats not that much. When I wasn't injured I was running around 30km a week and was only eating 2500 calories a day and losing weight, so it's pretty much you just telling your body you need more calories, when you don't need it.

ROW- I used to run 50k weeks too, so I know how many calories I burn right now at 15k a week. However, bodies are tricky in that they sometimes send signals that you are "hungry" when you increase/change your exercise regime.

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:01 am

pts wrote:
ROW wrote:Honestly I would think it would be in your head, thinking you need to eat more. Thats only 15km a week. You don't need any extra calories for running that much. I maybe understand for someone running over 50km a week, and definatley understand with someone running 100km a week. But with 5km your burning 300-500 calories depending on your weight, thats not that much. When I wasn't injured I was running around 30km a week and was only eating 2500 calories a day and losing weight, so it's pretty much you just telling your body you need more calories, when you don't need it.

ROW- I used to run 50k weeks too, so I know how many calories I burn right now at 15k a week. However, bodies are tricky in that they sometimes send signals that you are "hungry" when you increase/change your exercise regime.
Yeah thats true too. Haha sorry. :oops:

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:08 am

pts wrote:

that's the key though - our bodies are just tricking us. (I say us - because I'm with ya, sister!)

I try to remind myself that it takes 3500 calories burned (i.e. more than I ate) to lose a pound. Therefore - if I run 3-5km....I really don't need anything extra - even if my body tells me that I do! :)

ETA: eep, that's big. I find the bold doesn't stand out on here....so, that was the best way to highlight those words!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:15 am

ROW wrote:
pts wrote:

Yeah thats true too. Haha sorry. :oops:

No need to apologize, I wish my body thought as logically as you do! :D

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:25 am

Would logging your food help? When writing food intake down you have to really think about what you are eating or over eating.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:29 am

Tori wrote:Would logging your food help? When writing food intake down you have to really think about what you are eating or over eating.

I know people say logging is not a lot of "work" but I find it to be (and right now I need to only do 'work' that leads to me graduating or getting paid).

I think what was the kicker is that D bought a whole bunch of "junk" for the babysitter (seriously, does a babysitter need 2 packages of fudge-o's, nachos, and cheesies?). And that I have allowed myself to get a treat with my coffee. I will start by cutting out the treat with the coffee, and not allowing junk in the house. Ever notice that when you eat junk, you feel like crap (seriously, I felt so sick because of cheesies this weekend), but then you just keep eating junk?? :x

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:37 am

pts wrote:
Tori wrote:Would logging your food help? When writing food intake down you have to really think about what you are eating or over eating.

I know people say logging is not a lot of "work" but I find it to be (and right now I need to only do 'work' that leads to me graduating or getting paid).

I think what was the kicker is that D bought a whole bunch of "junk" for the babysitter (seriously, does a babysitter need 2 packages of fudge-o's, nachos, and cheesies?). And that I have allowed myself to get a treat with my coffee. I will start by cutting out the treat with the coffee, and not allowing junk in the house. Ever notice that when you eat junk, you feel like crap (seriously, I felt so sick because of cheesies this weekend), but then you just keep eating junk?? :x

I eat the junk so that I get it out of the house. ;)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 am

pts wrote:Ever notice that when you eat junk, you feel like crap (seriously, I felt so sick because of cheesies this weekend), but then you just keep eating junk?? :x

The beauty of it is that when you don't eat junk, you don't want to eat it either. :wink:
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:08 am

Kelodie wrote:
pts wrote:Ever notice that when you eat junk, you feel like crap (seriously, I felt so sick because of cheesies this weekend), but then you just keep eating junk?? :x

The beauty of it is that when you don't eat junk, you don't want to eat it either. :wink:

for some people. not others. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:15 am

I've heard from a bunch of people, and experienced it myself, that ramping up mileage causes you to go up in weight before you go down.

People say on the first of January "I'm going to work out this year and lose weight", the first thing they do is start building muscle, and weight goes up rather than down.

I certainly found that this year when I ramped up my mileage starting on Jan 1. It took about 6 weeks before the pounds started falling off (and that's with a reasonably steady diet).

But even before the pounds started falling off, I could feel and see my shape changing.

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:55 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
Kelodie wrote:

for some people. not others. :)

+1

And I feel the same whether I eat crap or not *sigh* so that's not a motivation not to eat junk.
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:22 pm

turd ferguson wrote:I've heard from a bunch of people, and experienced it myself, that ramping up mileage causes you to go up in weight before you go down.

People say on the first of January "I'm going to work out this year and lose weight", the first thing they do is start building muscle, and weight goes up rather than down.

I certainly found that this year when I ramped up my mileage starting on Jan 1. It took about 6 weeks before the pounds started falling off (and that's with a reasonably steady diet).

But even before the pounds started falling off, I could feel and see my shape changing.

But I thought running doesn't build enough muscle mass to make that weight increase.

I just started ramping up a few weeks ago, and I definitely feel hungrier. I'm trying not to eat more. Even now, sitting here, I've eaten a reasonable breakfast and lunch (and treat), and I'm not hungry, but I want to eat. I definitely think that increased mileage contributes to that... the hard part is not giving in to the desire to ramp up our calorie intake. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:35 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:I've heard from a bunch of people, and experienced it myself, that ramping up mileage causes you to go up in weight before you go down.

But I thought running doesn't build enough muscle mass to make that weight increase.

It better.

I'm not talking overmuscled freakshow here, just a few pounds of muscle. Enough to offset the modest weight losses that you'd see in a few weeks of a running program.

As in keep your eating steady, run 30 km, drop a pound of fat and add a pound of muscle. The scale says nothing's changed but its not true. Do that for 4 weeks, you're much fitter but the scale is still lying to you. But then you stop adding muscle and start dropping pounds.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:04 pm

I would be surprised if you can actually build muscle that quickly. I certainly wouldn't expect that running 15K/week would cause significant muscle gain. It definitely doesn't happen after running 30K (and it takes 35 MILES to lose a pound of fat-- that would be one month of running 15K/week).

One change that does happen is that our bodies become better at storing water, which can make a difference in apparent weight gain.

The other thing to remember is how much hormonal changes affect weight gain and loss. This is significant after women give birth and while we are nursing, and in general female hormones make it more difficult for some women to lose weight.

My personal experience is that the hungry feeling when increasing activity level is real, and we simply need to train our brains to eat less. I say "simply"-- it's not easy but it's not complicated.
Last edited by Jwolf on Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:05 pm

Jwolf wrote: It definitely doesn't happen after running 30K (and it takes 35 MILES to lose a pound of fat).

Damn you, metric system. I knew that didn't sound right when I was writing it.

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:26 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
Jwolf wrote: It definitely doesn't happen after running 30K (and it takes 35 MILES to lose a pound of fat).

Damn you, metric system. I knew that didn't sound right when I was writing it.

No kidding. I WISH it were true in metric!

I find my appetite increases whenever I move off a plateau too, where ever that plateau may be. Right now, breaking the 40k per week mark has me hungry pretty much all the time. I also find if my LSDs go over 18k my appetite is through the roof the next 2 days. It's so hard not to eat when you're hungry, even when you know you don't really need the food. My hungry brain doesn't like to listen to my logical brain.

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:47 am

UGH!

I too am a gainer when I run - put on 30lbs while training for a half marathon a couple of years ago :( I logged my food for a while, and realized that I wasn't eating that much more - but that my times for eating had changed. Since I needed to run after work for three hours or so, I'd eat a big lunch, then just have a sandwich or something when I got back from my run (often a 9pm).

I have a guess about what happened - I think my body likes routine. So when I upset that routine, I "scared" it - it wasn't certain about the next meal, and it "knew" I'd have chunks of huge energy expenditure. I am thinking that this caused it to go into "storage" mode - it wanted to store as much energy (as fat) as possible, just in case I had a huge energy expenditure or in case I didn't eat one night or something.

May be crazy, but I am convinced this is what happened!

I am determined now to keep my Kms down for a looooong time so that my body can get used to it all!

:)
RG
"Somedays you just need to do stuff on your someday list. just in case someday doesn't arrive" ~Seuss, as inspired by Spencer

"No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch."

"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."
Mary Pickford

Next up:
No Pressure! Run when I want, cycle when I want, swim when I want ;)

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:45 am

I have no andedotal proof that this works or not. Could you try adding in interval training to your 5k run?

Your body may have become efficent at the 5k steady but a 5k interval will certainly up the heart rate. Also adding in some weight training may help.

For me the cardio just isn't enough. I need the all round conditioning to drop the pounds. (I say that like I actually do it in practice :wink:)
The Summer of Eng is over.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:57 am

Engmomma wrote:I have no andedotal proof that this works or not. Could you try adding in interval training to your 5k run?

Your body may have become efficent at the 5k steady but a 5k interval will certainly up the heart rate. Also adding in some weight training may help.

For me the cardio just isn't enough. I need the all round conditioning to drop the pounds. (I say that like I actually do it in practice :wink:)

Oh, I could try that (the interval training). In terms of weight bearing stuff, I get enough carrying G around I think. Actually, I am pretty sure that is why I was at my lowest weight since I had last been a "gym bunny" in uni.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:04 pm

pts wrote:
Engmomma wrote:I have no andedotal proof that this works or not. Could you try adding in interval training to your 5k run?

Oh, I could try that (the interval training). In terms of weight bearing stuff, I get enough carrying G around I think. Actually, I am pretty sure that is why I was at my lowest weight since I had last been a "gym bunny" in uni.

See, that's the thing - your body gets "used" to certain activities and activity levels, so if it hasn't already, it will get used to you carrying G around and not consider that to be strenuous.

Variety and mixing things up (to keep your body guessing what's coming next) is usually an effective way of ensuring you don't hit a plateau.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Return to “The Scenic Route”