I'm new here!

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
dindin
Percy Williams

I'm new here!

Postby dindin » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:04 pm

Hello, everyone -

I've been trolling this site for a while, getting my endurance up with treadmill runs and doing weight training, boot camps, and varied cardio workouts. As of last week, I've ventured outdoors for some track runs. Truth be told, I suck at it. I dealt with shin splints a few years ago when I first attempted running. And while my fitness level was terrible all around, I let it discourage me. So now when I run or try to step up my running in anyway, it's always with that twice-shy attitude. I can't seem to shake it. But I'm determined. I've been on a high-protein vegetarian diet since last August, work out like a fiend, sweat a lot, and still can't seem to lose weight. I think I need to push my body more in order to give it a kickstart, as I'm dealing with possible insulin resistance issues and have no choice but to stress my body a bit more if I want to lose weight.

HOWEVER, I must say that running outside was exhilerating! The first night, I ran around the track twice and walked two laps. The first lap was 3:42; the second 3:49. Yesterday, I ran around the track 2.5 times and walked two more. The first lap I ran was 3:35 and the second 3:42. I'm not aiming for speedy runs at this point -- just trying to build up and run a few kilometers without stopping. But last night I felt a bit of the old shin splint on my left leg despite much stretching before, in the middle, and after. But it was all good. I sat down, massaged it out, and then got up for another slow jog from one end of the center of the track to the other.

I want to improve and lose some chunk doing this, so if you lovely people have any simple advice for a beginner to follow, please share.

Because my runs are still more experimental, they don't match my typical cardio workouts. That means these track runs cannot be the only workout I'm doing because I don't think I sweat enough. Does that mean I can go for my "experimental" runs a few times a week without repercussions?

My fitness level is pretty advanced as long as I'm in a gym or a class or on a treadmill, so I have to say I really ADMIRE you all for getting out there and running. I look longingly at outdoor runners and hope that will be me one day.

Thanks for reading my ramblings. :mrgreen:

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Re: I'm new here!

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:13 pm

Welcome to RM
This is a great time of year to venture outdoors...take it one step at a time.
Soon enough you'll find out you're just like us... :D :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:13 pm

welcome here!

Keep doing what you're doing... take it slowly, keep at it, and there will come a day when it starts to feel less exhausting and more energizing. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

dindin
Percy Williams

Postby dindin » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:26 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:Welcome to RM
This is a great time of year to venture outdoors...take it one step at a time.
Soon enough you'll find out you're just like us... :D :D

Thanks, Jo-Jo! Oh, to be one of those runners who looks like she is not about to tip over. Heh.

Honestly, though, I lose interest when something becomes too easy, so I hope I can always make my runs a little bit challenging. Right now they are a lot challenging.

dindin
Percy Williams

Postby dindin » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:27 pm

ultraslacker wrote:welcome here!

Keep doing what you're doing... take it slowly, keep at it, and there will come a day when it starts to feel less exhausting and more energizing. :)

Thanks, ultraslacker. I love simple advice. Would you say 3-4 times a week is good to start?

My knees were a bit on fire yesterday...

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:48 pm

dindin wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:welcome here!

Thanks, ultraslacker. I love simple advice. Would you say 3-4 times a week is good to start?

My knees were a bit on fire yesterday...

3-4 times per week is perfect!

When it starts to get easier, you can keep it challenging by adding on distance, adding in some varied terrain, or increasing your paces (short bursts at first, then go from there). There is definitely no end to challenge in running... if you start to get bored, we'll get you into trail running. ;)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

dindin
Percy Williams

Postby dindin » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:00 pm

ultraslacker wrote: 3-4 times per week is perfect!

When it starts to get easier, you can keep it challenging by adding on distance, adding in some varied terrain, or increasing your paces (short bursts at first, then go from there). There is definitely no end to challenge in running... if you start to get bored, we'll get you into trail running. ;)

Oh, I'd love to be trail running by the summer!

Which reminds me, my next order of business is to update my shoe(s).

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:39 pm

Welcome!

The updating of shoes may fix your shin splints problem for you.

What do your TM runs look like? What pace and for how long?

dindin
Percy Williams

Postby dindin » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:50 pm

babysteps wrote:Welcome!

The updating of shoes may fix your shin splints problem for you.

What do your TM runs look like? What pace and for how long?

Thanks, babysteps!

I can run on the treadmill for 45 minutes to an 1 hour at speeds ranging from 3.8 (warm-up), 4.0-4.4, and sprints from 4.8-5.1 km per hour. I think that might be considered slow, but I've *just* recently improved at running on the treadmill and can now do a run and intervals with sprints without wanting to collapse. In fact, I enjoy them. So starting outdoors feels like I've gone backwards.

I've tried soooo many different pairs of runners and none really helped my shin splints. The only thing that has helped is more strength training and circuit-type exercises like jumps, lunges, squats, and jump rope.

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:16 pm

Welcome! :D
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

dindin
Percy Williams

Postby dindin » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:18 pm

Trail Child wrote:Welcome! :D

Thanks, Trail Child :)

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:35 pm

Hmmm. Often the transition to outdoor running feels hard because people tend to run faster outside than they do on the TM as the TM isn't doing the pacing for them. But you are running about a 4mph pace on the track, which is the same as TM. So, that doesn't seem to be an issue!

On the bright side - I bet this means that the transition will go quickly for you. It may just be a matter of getting used to the "feel" of running off the TM.

I had shin splints a lot when I started running. I guess I'm a freak, because they just went away on their own. I still occasionally get them, but only when I run faster than I'm really ready for. (And actually, even that hasn't happened in a while - maybe I need to run faster... :think: )

Regardless - keep getting out there 3-4 times a week. Keep the pace comfortable. Have fun! (The third item is the most important!)

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:13 pm

WELCOME! :D
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson