How long after my half marathon until I can run again????

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
milo
Johnny Miles

How long after my half marathon until I can run again????

Postby milo » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:44 pm

I just did my first half on Sunday. It's now Friday. I am still wearing thongs on my feet as I have very bad blisters under my toenails that are still open and seeping. (Gross)

If I can get shoes on by tomorrow I'm planning to walk a ten k, but I don't know how long I'm supposed to wait before I run again.

The guy I was gonna pick up as my personal trainer said to give it a few weeks before we start and the running store dude said to take a day off per mile.....so what is it really???

I think my body is almost recovered. I mean, I've been taking the six flights of stairs at work for the past two days and my legs haven't buckled or anything...lol...not like the first day I tried it.

So...what do you all think? When can I try another run?

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Re: How long after my half marathon until I can run again????

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:26 pm

Everyone is different in their recovery.
If you've been able to walk six flights of stairs for the past two days without keeling over...I'd say you're back on the road.
How about a nice easy run tomorrow... 5km and see how it feels.
Happy running :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

milo
Johnny Miles

Postby milo » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:29 pm

SWEET! Now if I can just find a way to get the blisters under my toenails to stop weeping and squeeze a shoe on I should be good to go!!!

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:29 pm

milo wrote:I just did my first half on Sunday. It's now Friday. I am still wearing thongs on my feet as I have very bad blisters under my toenails that are still open and seeping. (Gross)

If I can get shoes on by tomorrow I'm planning to walk a ten k, but I don't know how long I'm supposed to wait before I run again.

The guy I was gonna pick up as my personal trainer said to give it a few weeks before we start and the running store dude said to take a day off per mile.....so what is it really???

I think my body is almost recovered. I mean, I've been taking the six flights of stairs at work for the past two days and my legs haven't buckled or anything...lol...not like the first day I tried it.

So...what do you all think? When can I try another run?

IMHO, you can try a run whenever you feel like it, as long as you don't push harder than your body wants you to. And your body will let you know pretty quickly.

I've run and played ultimate days after a marathon. But I take it easy.

This week, after doing the same race as you, I walked around with my niece Sunday and Monday, and kayaked Tuesday. I was out on Wednesday, so ran with a friend Thursday morning. We took it really easy, but my legs were really feeling it for some reason. And then I felt wrecked after. So, I'm taking today off and I'll see about tomorrow.

If you're itching to go and can get shoes on, head out the door and start of slowly. If it's not working out, cut it short and give yourself some more time.

That rule of thumb, I think, is for hard training to start again.
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:28 pm

Ditto to the above.

Except definitely err on the side of conservative-- sometimes it feels ok, but doesn't afterwards.

bruyere wrote:That rule of thumb [one day off per mile raced], I think, is for hard training to start again.

Yes, that's about right, so about 2 weeks till hard any hard workouts-- although it depends on the person as well. Some are ok with one week, others need three. It also depends on how hard you race vs. train, how much mileage you were doing before, etc. After a first half, it's good to be conservative, but you can definitely get back to some easy running.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:34 pm

I just responded to a clinic member that had the same question - the clinic member also asked about running a 10km race 3 weeks later.....this was my response (and, I agree with bruyere!)

That is a very personal question - as in - the answer really depends on the person.

The general "rule" is that you shouldn't start "training" again for as many days as your race was in miles. So, for a half marathon (13 miles), you should really take 2 weeks off from TRAINING - not necessarily running.

My rule is for at least a week after a big goal race to "run when I want, drink wine when I want!"

So, a 10km race 3 weeks after the half marathon SHOULD be okay, but, you never know how you'll be feeling. I can guarantee that the 10km at the fall colours won't sell out - but, I suppose you'd want to register early in order to take advantage of an early registration fee.

Having said all that, you'd probably be fine.

Finally, just to confuse you a bit more....another method that some people like to do is called a "reverse taper" - basically reverse the training schedule for 2 weeks.

hope that helps somewhat!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:35 pm

Wrap your toes in bandaid blister pads, cut holes in the top of your shoes and go on back out on the road.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

milo
Johnny Miles

Postby milo » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:13 pm

I just had another entire toenail fall out. Can I still just wrap them and go? Was hoping to get out today but that toe is really sore now....not sore enough to stop, but sore enough to take another day.

I've got a huge amount of med supplies, so I'm going to try to rig something up to protect my toes before I go. I have not had luck finding "toe caps" whetever they are.

milo
Johnny Miles

Postby milo » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:40 pm

Found toe caps at sport med. None of the running stores I visited had them. I'll give them a go on my run tomorrow and see how it goes.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:06 am

milo, you've got two different things to recover from: 1) the race, and 2) the blisters.

Re: 1) If your legs and overall energy level feel OK, then go out and run a bit (take it easy, keep it to 20-30 minutes). You'll know how much you can do and when you can start increasing the time/intensity of your runs.

Re: 2) This may hold you back a bit more. If you can't comfortably wear socks or shoes and it hurts your feet to run, then you might be stuck walking in sandals for a while.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

milo
Johnny Miles

Postby milo » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:12 pm

YAY!!!! I managed to do a real run today!!! It's taken 15 days post race. I've done other short stints while doing my 10k walks, but today I was able to run, and run hard. I did take off my shoes and run in just socks for about a mile of it, as I forgot my gym shoes and didn't want to use it as an excuse to miss a run.

I have no idea if running barefoot is good or bad???? I feel good now and I'm nine hours post workout. Is it good for me? I think it helped me figure out a bit about my gait. I don't land on my heels at all....which I suppose explains all the toe issues...lol.

At any rate, I'm glad to have had another great run. :)

Return to “The Scenic Route”