Am I a bandit? (race etiquette question)

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
rdmsgirl
Tom Longboat

Postby rdmsgirl » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:03 am

So I signed my son up for the 2 k at Ottawa Race Weekend, but didn't sign myself up. I will be walking with him in a stroller (he will be 5 months at the time), assuming he will be able to tolerate the the noise/crowds of course :pray:

So does that make me a bandit? I don't recall if there was a family option to sign up for this event. My theory at the time was that this race will likely sell out and I wanted to give someone else the chance to sign up.

If DH decides to walk with us, does that make him a bandit? :?

Thoughts? Just wanted some input from others before I sign us up for more races (Family event at the Barrhaven race which will not sell out and 5k at Army Race which will - both events allow strollers)
If only I could love running as much as I love yoga....

(Is still considered "running" if you can walk faster than you can run?)

“The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.” John Bingham

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:08 am

You really only need one entry for walking or running with a stroller so you're fine. :) But if your husband walks with you he should also register.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Re: Am I a bandit? (race etiquette question)

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:12 pm

We've done this race twice now, and both years, I just signed up DD, and both DH and I came along. No one ever said a thing. At the race, you'll see a combination - families where everyone has a big, and groups where just the kids do.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:13 pm

Most races say no to strollers, bikes, animals as they impede other runners. Check with the rules about that.

edit, from their site:

All participants must register for the race. Only children being pushed in strollers do not have to register.

rdmsgirl
Tom Longboat

Postby rdmsgirl » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:04 pm

fingerboy wrote:Most races say no to strollers, bikes, animals as they impede other runners. Check with the rules about that.

edit, from their site:

All participants must register for the race. Only children being pushed in strollers do not have to register.

Hmm, I must have missed that statement.
I did check the sites for both the Barrhaven race family 2k and the Army Run 5k and strollers are permitted at both events. Obviously we will start in the last corral at the Army Run. :D

“The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.” John Bingham

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:30 pm

I'd say if you've paid one registration, you're good to go. If people want to quibble about accompanying a 5-month old infant, they need to get over their own pettiness. I can't see any race organizer objecting.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

rdmsgirl
Tom Longboat

Postby rdmsgirl » Sun May 26, 2013 8:17 am

Just thought I'd post a followup, I ended up asking DH to walk with us at the end, (due to ongoing stroller saga issues). I felt bad, but didn't want to drop out and didn't want to handle a screaming baby the whole way all by myself. It was a smart move in the end, as baby was wailing in his stroller from the get go. DH ended up carrying him the entire 2k while I pushed the stroller.

This was one of the most fun races I've done - I loved watching the kids :D

Return to “The Scenic Route”