Lisa's Chicago Distance Classic race report

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Lisa's Chicago Distance Classic race report

Postby QuickChick » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:18 am

As Dave said, we were really excited to return to Chicago after running the marathon in 2003. It's such a great city! The day before our race, we must have walked around for about 9 hours, and I'm sure we did several "intervals" of the Magnificent Mile which is a mile-long stretch of Michigan avenue lined with store after store after store... :) sigh.

Anyway, on race day I got to the start line with about 10 minutes to spare. My goal was to come in at about 1:50. It was a beautiful sunny day with no humidity and about 25 degrees or so at the start (7am). It was probably 27-30 by the end.

I was feeling pretty good throughout the race- never did I feel that "I'm gonna die" sensation. The half-marathon is the PERFECT distance to run! At about the halfway point I accidentally stopped my watch, and from then on I had only a rough idea of my pace (only a few of the mile marker clocks were working).

What I found really tough, actually, was pacing myself in miles (even before my watch stopped). When I've run Canadian races, I have a much more frequent reminder of whether I'm on pace or not, and if I'm off it's easier to fix it. I knew that to come in under 1:50 I'd have to be at about an 8:20 mile. This didn't happen!! I'm confident that I could have run the race on pace if I had either worn a garmin or had kilometre markings to tell me if I needed to speed up. However, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts, every day would be Christmas, or so my dad says! Anyway, this was a VERY good lesson to learn for Detroit!

I ended up finishing in 1:55:30. Not a PB (my PB is 1:52) but I was OK with it. There's lots of room for improvement at Scotiabank! I felt great after the run- good enough for some more "intervals" of the Magnificent Mile. Dave and I went on an architectural cruise had a crazy-good steak dinner that night, and we even managed to walk around for the morning today before making the looooong drive home.

All in all it was a fun weekend but I wouldn't recommend that race. Wait for the real one (the full in October)! See my review for more details about the race itself.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:25 am

Lisa, sorry to hear about your watch and mileage problems (see, there is a bonus to my doing things in miles... I learn both systems... ;). It sounds like you had a great race anyway--came in within 3 minutes of your PB even without the pacing aids, so that's pretty amazing.

Did you guys get pictures??? Where are they?? :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Dani
Jerome Drayton

Postby Dani » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:19 am

Congrats on completing a half in such hot weather!
Sometimes it's all about whether or not you had a good time! And not once did you get the "I'm gonna die" feeling! I think that is a very good achievement!
I used to run. All the time.
Now? Notsomuch.
I'm still a runner, though.
Life is fluid and ever changing. I am too.

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:30 am

Way to go....sounds like a great experience for both you and Dave.
Dont ya love shoppin on the mile....ughhhh!

Bman
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
Berlin Marathon September 25
Chicago Marathon October 9
NYC Marathon November 6

...raising funds and awareness for the EVERYMAN Campaign!

Scott
Bill Crothers

Postby Scott » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:45 am

Great job, Lisa. 3 minutes off a PB in that weather is still something to be proud of!

Scott

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:59 am

still sounds like an awesome race to me! and the best part, you seemed to enjoy yourself! congrats!

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:03 am

klewlis wrote:Did you guys get pictures??? Where are they?? :)

We didn't have our personal race photographer (my Mom) for this one, so we'll have to wait 'til the race photographer posts the pictures online.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:25 am

Great job, Lisa! Glad to hear you guys had a nice weekend. Welcome back. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:54 am

Well done! I also love Chicago. It would be tough to "save my legs" for race day as there is so much to see and do!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:27 am

Great job despite the 9 hour..ahem...sightseeing tour! I'm surprised your legs could handle a 1/2M after all that walking!

Like you, I couldn't run in milies if my life depended on it.
"Only through curiosity can we discover opportunities, and only through gambling can we take advantage of them."

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:56 am

Sounds like you had a great time in Chicago...can't believe you guys did a major sightseeing walkabout before your race!

Joanne
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

lisaannr
Abby Hoffman

Postby lisaannr » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:39 am

Congratulations! Sounds like a great run to me!

Lisa

jacob42.2
Bill Crothers

Postby jacob42.2 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:28 am

Way to go Lisa, nice report! Good show on running through the problems. And great strong race. Sounds you and Dave had a great time in the windy city!
PB's: 5k: 16:40 10K: 34:59 21.1: 1:17:16 Marathon: 02:50:47
RUNNING MANIA #2

Return to “Run/Race Reports”