New York, Check!!!

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

New York, Check!!!

Postby IronGoddess » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:11 pm

I once foolishly said to my family of marathoners that I would only run one marathon and it would be New York. So that year I put my name into the lottery, didn't get in and decided to do Nike women's Marathon in San Fran instead. But each year I continued to put my name in and get rejected and foolishly sign up for other marathons. So when my chance came up this year I was excited but nervous, I always do big events with my girls and for this I was 'alone'. But I sucked it up and trained very differently for my fourth marathon. I joined a new group, had an amazing new coach and did long runs on my own ( which was actually really nice ). I survived my training in excellent shape, thanks to 30 min every damn night with the foam roller, stretching and core work not to mention regular visits to my chiro and RMT.

We arrived in NYC on Thursday night but went out to check out Times Square and didn't make it back to our hotel until about 1:30. I was so excited to get to the Expo, I was up at 7:00. We were there by 10:00 and it was a zoo but a well organized zoo. Number pick up was easy, I spent about an hour shopping. Of course I needed the jacket and Garmin had the 910xt for 299. so that came home. Anyone want a 310, I have used one in great shape for sale. So Friday was spend wandering around finding out where the library was and seeing a few sights. Saturday we drove to Philly, DH had some business, so that was fine I sat all day playing co pilot and sleeping. Dinner was the most amazing pizza and then to bed. I actually slept very well and woke up so excited but worried about the wind.

I made a decision to wear a long sleeved base layer, then my maple leaf short sleeved shirt, and gloves. I left my visor, and sunglasses and later really wished I had the glasses. I was worried about the long sleeved shirt because I had never run in it for more then 15km but I grabbed my body glide and carried it in my pocket for the whole race, just in case. DH walked me up to the library for my 6:30ish bus and that all went well. I got to Statin Island by 7:30 and found a tent and sat with my new friend from Spain. I actually had a very nice time chatting with her and we are now Facebook friends. So I went to my corral and pulled off all my extra layers and walked to the lower level of the bridge and got started. Funny at this point I was all business, I didn't feel nervous or scared just ready to go.

Once the gun sounded we were off. Nothing like starting on an incline with cold legs and 45 mph wind gusts blowing you into other runners. All I could do was laugh. I used this time to warm up and actually went very slow. By 8k my legs were warm and I was already to 'keep moving forward', the crowds were amazing and before I knew it I was at the half. I was right on my target and I actually remember thinking darn halfway already. The entire race was amazing the sights, crowds, everything. I felt so strong right up until the last incline heading into Central Park, my stomach went from happy to angry so quickly. I did not think it would be ok to vomit on Park Ave. so I let myself wak for 2 mins and luckily my guts settled enough to let me get back on track and finish strong.

There is nothing like finishing a marathon. But to finish NYC feeling so strong just added to the amazement. Not once did I feel whiny, or weak. I felt powerful and strong for 42.2 km and I may not have a PB to show, ( it was soooo close) but I really am going to call this race a Personal Best, because I ran this marathon the best I ever have.

Thanks to all the maniacs who supported me through out training and on race day. I carried you all in my heart and felt the power of orange.
IMC 2015

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Re: New York, Check!!!

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:18 pm

Running Goddess wrote:There is nothing like finishing a marathon. But to finish NYC feeling so strong just added to the amazement. Not once did I feel whiny, or weak. I felt powerful and strong for 42.2 km and I may not have a PB to show, ( it was soooo close) but I really am going to call this race a Personal Best, because I ran this marathon the best I ever have.

Thanks to all the maniacs who supported me through out training and on race day. I carried you all in my heart and felt the power of orange.

THIS is awesome. Congrats to you Kendra. You trained so well and I am so happy that you had such a stellar race. To feel powerful and strong for 42.2k? Priceless!!!!!!!!
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

New York, Check!!!

Postby marymac442 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:58 pm

Glad you had a great race, like you mine wasn't a PB but I had the "best time"
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:02 am

thanks for the report.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:43 am

Great report! Congratulations! I'm glad that you were able to make it to the 'Big Show'! NYC was my very first marathon 7 years ago, and I still remember it like it was yesterday.

Rest up and let us know what is next up!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:59 am

Congratulations Kendra! I was following along last week and I was putty sure you'd be happy with the time. I'm glad you had such a good experience overall.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:20 am

Great report! Congratulations on a "best time". :D
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:37 am

Congratulations on finishing and having a wonderful experience!
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:14 pm

Congratulations! New York is a really mind-blowing experience. Between the course itself and all the logistics, I think it's a much tougher marathon than most. Great job!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:20 pm

Sounds like it was a great experience all together! Congrats!
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:10 am

Congrats! :)
Hammie wrote:New York is a really mind-blowing experience. Between the course itself and all the logistics, I think it's a much tougher marathon than most. Great job!

I'd agree with that!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:48 pm

Congratulations, on conquering the Big Apple Marathon, Kendra... :)

Eta: What's next? Mickey Mouse? Goofy and/or Dopey, perhaps?? :p
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:48 pm

Congrats on the race and excellent report! Between the logistics of the day and the windy conditions, that's an impressive performance. It really is an amazing experience, isn't it.

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:51 pm

Andy, Dopy challenge is on the bucket list. I have to convince DH the kids are all in.
IMC 2015

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:03 pm

Excellent report. Congratulations on a great race! :)

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:06 pm

That's terrific, glad you had a good time on a rough day! Nice work out there.

Return to “Run/Race Reports”