St. George Marathon

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Ken B
Lynn Williams

St. George Marathon

Postby Ken B » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:35 pm

Saturday, October 07, 2017
St. George Marathon
Up early ( 3:30 AM ) to drive into St. George for the shuttle bus ride to the start. 6 C with a nasty wind while we waited 1 1/2 hours for the start. The race organizers handed out gloves and mylar blankets and had several fire pits going. There was a 20 minute delay for the start with no explanation. This is a scenic course at a high elevation ( a bit above 5,000 feet ) Overall it is downhill with the first seven miles down into the Veyo Valley and the next 4 miles back up. I ran 4 and 1 run and walk pattern for the 7 miles and mostly walked the 4 miles up, Then there was 2 miles of rolling terrain. I ran the declines and walked the inclines. The last half of the race was mostly downhill but it was getting very hot and I power walked a lot of it. /The volunteers were great with ice in baggies at most of latter aid stations and volunteers applying Icy Hot salve to anyone who wanted it. Also there were many children handing out ices in the last 3 miles. This race has a decent Expo and an excellent organization.
Despite a few negative factors such as being dramatically under trained with only tow weeks of running after my problems at ENDURrun. I was also jet lagged as we flew out from Buffalo yesterday. In addition I know that I don't do well in the heat. The elevation also was a somewhat negative issue. That said I enjoyed the experience. It certainly brings home the idea that training and more training is so very important.
Chip Time: 5:27:53.5 Average Pace: 12:30 min/mile

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Re: St. George Marathon

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:55 am

Congratulations on another marathon. A marathon is a marathon and when you're undertrained it's even harder no matter is you walk a lot, it's still 42.2km.
Go an enjoy the rest of your vacation! Zion NP is an amazing park.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: St. George Marathon

Postby Jwolf » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:41 am

Thanks for the report-- sounds difficult but satisfying.
Congrats on another marathon. Agree with what Sue said. :D
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Return to “Run/Race Reports”