1 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup powdered sugar
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
4 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
dash salt
6 tablespoons lemon juice
Cream together butter, 1 1/2 cup flour, and powdered sugar. Pat in a 13x9x2 inch baking pan. Bake 18 minutes at 350 F or 325 F if using a glass pan. Beat together the rest of the ingredients and pour over crust. Bake an additional 25 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Whipped Shortbread
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large bowl, combine butter, flour, and confectioners' sugar. With an electric mixer, beat for 10 minutes, until light and fluffy. Spoon onto cookie sheets, spacing cookies 2 inches apart. (If desired place a piece of maraschino cherry onto the middle of each cookie, alternating between red and green.)
Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the bottoms of the cookies are lightly browned. Remove from oven, and let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer cookies on to wire rack to cool

Thimble Cookies
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1 egg white
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup jam or jelly
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cream butter, add sugar and beat until fluffy. Add egg yolk, and beat well. Stir in vanilla.
Add flour and stir until combined.
Roll mixture into balls the size of a walnut. Roll balls in unbeaten egg white, then in chopped walnuts.
Make a dint in the top of each cookie and place on a greased cookie sheet, and bake 5 minutes.
Remove and redint the tops of the cookies, then continue baking until done - another 5-10 minutes. They should be slightly brown.
Fill the dints with a teaspoon of jam or jelly while they are hot, and remove to a rack or plate to cool.

Hey, I just made lemon bars tonight! But I always put coconut in mine. So yummy.

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Re: christmas cookies!

Postby gnu » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:48 am

I am going to try your shortbread recipe! I have always struggled with shortbread...can never make it taste as good as other people's...

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:57 am

gnu wrote:I am going to try your shortbread recipe! I have always struggled with shortbread...can never make it taste as good as other people's...

The thing I like about these is that they are super easy and don't require rolling and cutting out cookies. Just make sure you whip the dough for 10 minutes - it will be very light and fluffy...
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:13 pm

NewFinnLoper wrote:These are my three favourites:

Lemon Bars
3/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup powdered sugar
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
4 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
dash salt
Cream together butter, 1 1/2 cup flour, and powdered sugar. Pat in a 13x9x2 inch baking pan. Bake 18 minutes at 350 F or 325 F if using a glass pan. Beat together the rest of the ingredients and pour over crust. Bake an additional 25 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

powdered sugar = icing sugar?? :oops: Or regular sugar?

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:18 pm

Samantha wrote:

Lemon Bars
3/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup powdered sugar
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
4 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
dash salt

powdered sugar = icing sugar?? :oops: Or regular sugar?

Icing sugar...gives it a real smooth texture in the crust and fluffy on top of the lemon 'curd'

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:38 pm

Whipped Shortbread
1 cup butter, softened

In a large bowl, combine butter, flour, and confectioners' sugar. With an electric mixer, beat for 10 minutes, until light and fluffy. Spoon onto cookie sheets, spacing cookies 2 inches apart. (If desired place a piece of maraschino cherry onto the middle of each cookie, alternating between red and green.)
Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the bottoms of the cookies are lightly browned. Remove from oven, and let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer cookies on to wire rack to cool

I made these today (with 'help' from Gavin) and the reviews from my DH are that they are yummy! I have super sensitive pregnancy tastebuds and there must have been some cumin somewhere in the beaters/cooling rack or something, so that is all I can taste :roll: But, they are easy-peasy (even with a toddler helping) so I will be making them again next week (and make sure all my utensils/surfaces are cumin free :lol: ).
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:51 am

pts wrote:
Whipped Shortbread
1 cup butter, softened

I made these today (with 'help' from Gavin) and the reviews from my DH are that they are yummy! I have super sensitive pregnancy tastebuds and there must have been some cumin somewhere in the beaters/cooling rack or something, so that is all I can taste :roll: But, they are easy-peasy (even with a toddler helping) so I will be making them again next week (and make sure all my utensils/surfaces are cumin free :lol: ).

Cumin Shortbread! My favourite!! :lol:

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:58 pm

I made these yesterday:

http://www.companyscoming.com/recipes/g ... 05/11/183/

super nummy.

Cattitude
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cattitude » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:36 pm

I make these every year!! Very easy and delicious.

Choco Toffee Bars

INGREDIENTS 1roll (16.5 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated chocolate chip cookies
1cup English toffee baking bits or toffee chips
1/4cup packed brown sugar
1teaspoon vanilla
1package (3 oz) cream cheese, softened
1egg
2/3cup butterscotch chips, melted
1/2cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
DIRECTIONS
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Cut cookie dough into 1/2-inch slices. In ungreased 13x9-inch pan, arrange slices. With floured fingers, press dough evenly in bottom of pan to form crust. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the toffee bits. Bake 16 to 18 minutes or until golden brown.
2. Meanwhile, in small bowl, beat brown sugar, vanilla, cream cheese and egg with electric mixer on medium speed until blended. Add melted butterscotch chips; blend well.
3. With spatula, gently press edges of partially baked crust down to make surface flat. Spoon and spread cream cheese mixture over crust. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup toffee bits and chocolate chips.
4. Bake 20 to 25 minutes longer or until edges are deep golden brown and center is set. Cool 10 minutes. Run knife around sides of pan to loosen bars. Cool completely, about 2 hours. For bars, cut into 6 rows by 6 rows. Store in refrigerator..

graciousgoat
Bruce Kidd

Postby graciousgoat » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:30 pm

These--spicy chocolate cinnamon shortbread--are so good that I'm not sure it's safe for me to make them again. You could leave out the cayenne to make them a little more kid friendly.....
http://www.canadianliving.com/food/spicy_chocolate_cinnamon_shortbread.php

I've been having great luck with the Canadian Living special cookie issue this year....
Make my day: sponsor me for my 3day walk for the cure.http://www.the3day.org/goto/sallywalks

THANK YOU!!!!

http://www.TickerFactory.com/fundraising/wmNKFGQ/

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:19 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
Samantha wrote:
eme wrote:
Please post the ginger cookie recipe, I love ginger cookies!

me too!!!! Pleeeeeaaaaaaaassssseeeee! :pray:

here you go!

I've had this recipe since I was a kid... don't even remember where I got it (I think it came from an old cookbook). It is the BEST ginger cookie recipe EVER. The cookies are soft, not snaps.

2C flour
1 T ginger
2 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt
3/4 C shortening
1 C sugar
1 egg
1/4 C molasses

make little balls and roll them in sugar, then press down with a fork. Cook at 350C for 12-15 minutes.

YUMMY

(best served with eggnog ;)

I just made these. YUM!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:15 am

I found my Shortbread recipe.

1 pound of butter* at cool room temperature (soft, but not mushy)
1 1/3 cups icing sugar, sifted
(cream this together in a stand mixer until light and fluffy)
Add the dry ingredients slowly so as not to create a cloud in the kitchen:
1 1/3 cups corn starch
2 2/3 cups flour (I use pastry flour, but AP is fine)
Beat just long enough until the dough is mixed.

*If you use unsalted butter, be sure to add salt to the dough or it will be tasteless.

You can roll the dough out and cut into shapes, or form into balls and flatten with a fork, or you can roll it into a log (in plastic wrap) refrigerate and then slice - this is a good option so that you can pull out the dough and bake them as needed, instead of having to bake the whole lot at once.

Bake at 325F for about 15-20 minutes, depending on the thickness of the cookie. They should just be starting to get a tinge of toasted colour around the edges. Cool on wire racks and store in a wax paper-lined tin. Do not refrigerate.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Mich
Bill Crothers

Postby Mich » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:33 am

NewFinnLoper wrote:
Whipped Shortbread
1 cup butter, softened

I made these this morning and they are delicious, light and fluffy. Gotta make more though as this batch is for the bus driver.
A workout is a series of exercises which help convert fats, sugars, and starches into aches, pains, and cramps. ~Author Unknown

5K Endurance D.D.O. 33:08 Aug.13 2008
PEC team Challenge Leg 3 - Oct.5 2008
Rattle Me Bones 10K 1:06:55 - Oct.26 2008

Double Yellow Headed Amazons http://www.mlaviaries.com

Cattitude
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cattitude » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:04 pm

Made these today, the dough is a little difficult to work with and sticky but cookie is worth it.

Frosted Cranberry Cookies
Preparation time 15 minutes
Baking Time 12 minutes
Makes 48 cookies
Ingredients
3 cups (750 mL) all-purpose flour
1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1/4 tsp (1 mL) baking soda
1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
3/4 cup (175 mL) brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup (50 mL) milk
2 tbsp (30 mL) orange juice
21/2 cups (625 mL) frozen cranberries
1 cup (250 mL) chopped walnuts (optional)
2 cups (500 mL) icing sugar
1/3 cup (75 mL) unsalted butter, melted
11/2 tsp (7 mL) vanilla
3 tbsp (45 mL) hot water
1.Position oven racks in top and bottom thirds of oven. Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Spray 2 baking sheets with oil. In a bowl, stir flour with baking powder, salt and baking soda. In another bowl, using an electric mixer on medium, beat butter with both sugars for 3 min. Beat in egg, then milk and orange juice. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in cranberries and walnuts.
2.Drop dough by tbsp (15 mL) onto baking sheets, spacing about 1 in. (2.5 cm) apart. Bake on 2 racks in preheated oven, switching sheets halfway through, until cookie edges brown, 12 to 15 min. Remove from oven. Let cookies stand 5 min, then remove to cooling rack. Repeat with remaining dough. If making ahead, store in an airtight container in a cool place up to 1 week, or freeze up to 2 months.
3.It's best to ice cookies no more than a day before serving. Using an electric mixer, beat icing sugar with melted butter, vanilla and hot water. Spoon a dollop in centre of each cookie and spread out a little.

Mich
Bill Crothers

Postby Mich » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:58 pm

Mich wrote:
NewFinnLoper wrote:
Whipped Shortbread
1 cup butter, softened

I made these this morning and they are delicious, light and fluffy. Gotta make more though as this batch is for the bus driver.

I doubled the batch this time round and they did not turn out. They were too dry. I was making them for my daughters class and have no time to make anything else, they are edible but you definitely need a glass of milk to go with the cookie where as my first single batch was great. Thinking of not sending them into school :(
A workout is a series of exercises which help convert fats, sugars, and starches into aches, pains, and cramps. ~Author Unknown

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:39 pm

Mich wrote:I doubled the batch this time round and they did not turn out. They were too dry. I was making them for my daughters class and have no time to make anything else, they are edible but you definitely need a glass of milk to go with the cookie where as my first single batch was great. Thinking of not sending them into school :(

:( :( I've never tried doubling them...wonder why the difference?

Half-Mary
Jerome Drayton

Postby Half-Mary » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:33 am

NewFinnLoper wrote:
Mich wrote:I doubled the batch this time round and they did not turn out. They were too dry. I was making them for my daughters class and have no time to make anything else, they are edible but you definitely need a glass of milk to go with the cookie where as my first single batch was great. Thinking of not sending them into school :(

:( :( I've never tried doubling them...wonder why the difference?

It was explained to me once what the reason was for not doubling certain recipes, but I can't remember it. I do remember seeing 'OK to double' or 'do not double' in the corner of some of my mother's recipe cards. She learned from experience which recipes didn't work when doubled.

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:47 am

People usually run into problems doubling recipes when baking powder is involved. Because this wasn't the case, I'm going to say there might have been a problem with the measurements (so easily done in larger batches). If it is possible, weighing ingredients is more accurate, especially with large batches. I don't do this at home, but when I worked as a dessert baker, I always weighed ingredients like flour, sugar and butter.
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Mich
Bill Crothers

Postby Mich » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:56 am

Trail Child wrote:People usually run into problems doubling recipes when baking powder is involved. Because this wasn't the case, I'm going to say there might have been a problem with the measurements (so easily done in larger batches). If it is possible, weighing ingredients is more accurate, especially with large batches. I don't do this at home, but when I worked as a dessert baker, I always weighed ingredients like flour, sugar and butter.

It just feels like the flour should be a little less. The texture is a bit more crumbly and the taste is a little more dry as opposed to a little more buttery. They are still edible just not as good as the first batch I made that was a single batch.

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:58 pm

Sammy asked me to share a couple recipes I mentionned in the NET.

Almond Roca Bars

1 cup butter 2 c flour
1 cup brown sugar 1/4 tsp salt
1 egg yolk 3 to 4 milk chocolate bars
1 tsp vanilla 1/2 c chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix butter, brown sugar, egg yolk and vanilla.
Stir in flour and salt until dough is well blended.
Spread in a rectanglular 13x10" baking sheet, leaving about 1"around the edges.
Bake 20 to 25 mins or until nicely browned. Crust will still be soft. Remove from oven.
Immediately place broken pieces of the chocolate bars on top. Let stand until soft, spread evenly over entire surface.
Sprinkle with nuts.
Cut into small squares while warm.

Dulce de Leche bars
Crust-
3/4 c unsalted butter, softened
1/4 c brown sugar, packed
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup flour
1/4 c graham cracker crumbs

Filling-
1 300ml can sweetened condensed milk
1 200g bag Chipits Skor toffee bits

Topping-
1 200g bag semi-sweet choc. chips
2 oz (50ml) melted white chocolate

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line a 9" baking pan with parchment paper so that it overhangs the edges.
Beat together butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in vanilla.
With mixer on low speed, mix in flour and graham cracker crumbs. Press mixture into base of prepared pan.
Bake for 20 mins or until golden brown.

Filling-
Pour swt. condensed milk into microwaveable container. Micro on medium (50% power) for 4 mins, stirring after 2 mins. Stir in toffee bits. Micro on 30% power for 8 mins, stirring ever 2 mins. Pour over baked crust. Refrigerate 30 mins.

Melt chocolate chips. Spread lightly over filling. Drizzle white chocolate over. Let set completely before cutting into bars.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:16 am

r4l wrote:Almond Roca Bars

1 cup butter 2 c flour

Why is it called Almond Roca when there are no almonds in it???
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:56 am

Scottish Shortbread

1 cup butter
1/2 cup of sugar (generous)
1scant cup of cornstarch
1 2/3 cup of flour

Heat the oven to 325.
Blend all ingredients with hands and flatten into a pan (glass is preferable).
Take a fork and poke holes throughout.
Sprinkle with sugar.
Bake for 50-55 minutes (or longer if you like it slightly browned).
Jocelyn

I run because it's my passion, and not just a sport. Every time I walk out the door, I know why I'm going where I'm going and I'm already focused on that special place where I find my peace and solitude. Running, to me, is more than just a physical exercise...it's a consistent reward for victory!
- Sasha Azevedo

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:33 am

La wrote:
r4l wrote:Almond Roca Bars

1 cup butter 2 c flour

Why is it called Almond Roca when there are no almonds in it???

I know it's strange huh??
They do taste like Almond Roca candy though.

My mom and Nana made these and they have always been 'Almond Roca' bars.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:58 pm

Avis wrote:Here is another ginger cookie that everyone likes--it's a rolled cookie to cut into festive shapes and decorate:

LIGHT GINGER COOKIES

1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup butter, room temp.
1TBS cider vinegar or lemon juice
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. ground ginger
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Mix powdered sugar, butter and vinegar/lemon juice. Stir in remaining ingredients. (If dough seems too dry, add a bit of milk, 1 tsp. at a time.) Roll dough, 1/3 at at a time, on floured surface, 1/8 inch thick. Cut into desired shapes; place on parchment-covered, ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 6-8 minutes, until lightly brown around edges. Cool slightly before removing from cookie sheet. (I just slide the whole sheet of parchment onto the table.) Decorate as desired. Makes about 5 dozen, depending on size.

Decorating hints: Before baking, brush cookies lightly with beaten egg white and sprinkle with colored sugar. After baking, make a thin glaze of powdered sugar and milk, spread on cookies, then sprinkle on sugar. If you have kids who like to "help" decorate, I've found the CakeMate "Scribblers" work well for little (or big) hands. They come in packs of 4 colors, and the tubes and nozzles are small enough to be easily sqeezed. Better yet--not too much icing comes out at once, therefore keeping the cookie-to-icing ratio within reason. :wink:

I made these! They are awesome :D

Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”