Salt Sugar Fat

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
Weak Willed
Johnny Miles

Salt Sugar Fat

Postby Weak Willed » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:49 pm

I'm only halfway through the book but I'm loving it.

Salt Sugar Fat by Michael Moss

How the Processed Food Industry creates and markets their product.
Weak Willed and easily led.

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Re: Salt Sugar Fat

Postby MINITEE » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:00 am

This has been making the rounds between all of the trainers I work with. I have a few more people ahead of me before I get my hands on it, but I have heard good things!
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:08 pm

Just read this book a couple of weeks ago. I found it really interesting, especially how our food has changed significantly in the past 30 years without us even knowing it. I think it was the part about Velveeta cheese spread and how the guy who originally came up with the formulation back in the 60's, ate it recently and couldn't believe how bad and artificial it tasted. He was so upset he phoned the Customer Service # to complain. When he came up with the formulation it contained real cheese, now it doesn't contain any. Over the past year I have been trying to cut way back on processed food. This book helped to strengthen my will power, especially with so called 'healthy' snack foods i.e. granola bars. They are marketed as healthy, but are really no more healthy than a chocolate bar.
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:19 am

getfit wrote:This book helped to strengthen my will power, especially with so called 'healthy' snack foods i.e. granola bars. They are marketed as healthy, but are really no more healthy than a chocolate bar.

It's called "health washing." Basically, if a product has to tell you how great it is through front-label marketing (e.g., NO trans fat! BAKED, not fried! Contains WHOLE grains!), then it probably isn't.

And don't trust the Heart & Stroke Foundation's "Health Check" symbol, either, as they will sell that to virtually anyone willing to pay for the right to use it.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

O Z D
Johnny Miles

Postby O Z D » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:31 am

La wrote:
getfit wrote:This book helped to strengthen my will power, especially with so called 'healthy' snack foods i.e. granola bars. They are marketed as healthy, but are really no more healthy than a chocolate bar.

It's called "health washing." Basically, if a product has to tell you how great it is through front-label marketing (e.g., NO trans fat! BAKED, not fried! Contains WHOLE grains!), then it probably isn't.

And don't trust the Heart & Stroke Foundation's "Health Check" symbol, either, as they will sell that to virtually anyone willing to pay for the right to use it.

Health-washing is something that I have stumbled upon thanks to a couple of different dieticians I follow on twitter and it is a larger problem than most people thing.

And funny that you mention the H&S Hypocrisy...I read a fair bit about the war that is going on in the Registered Dietician's association in the US. They umbrella group is sponsored by Coke, Frito-Lays, Hostness and the like under the auspicious of Health-washing their sodas, corn chips, chocolate bars and artificial sweeteners.

http://smallbites.andybellatti.com/ is the blog of one named Andy Bellatti who is one of the spearheads behind a movement within the the Registered Dieticians group in the US, some of the stuff is very eye opening.

Add to that "Green Washing" (making something sound more environmentally friendly that it actually is), "Oz-Washing" (the art of making something miraculous just because Dr Oz endorsed it even if it is essentially useless, ie; Green Coffee Bean, African Mango, Raspberry Ketone) and "Paleo-Washing" (Bacon was not actually available to Cavemen"). Ok that last one is a joke...

Education is key! The book looks interesting.

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”