Is there a "best" diet for weight loss?

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
La
Kevin Sullivan

Is there a "best" diet for weight loss?

Postby La » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:05 am

It seems the answer is, "No."
It appears after all, that the single recommendation that best summarizes all of the actual evidence on diet and weight management boils down to “eat less” – and we all know how effective that recommendation turns out to be.

So, do we really need any more dietary studies on weight management? After all, if these questions have not been answered conclusively by the last 100 studies (some of them rather large and conducted by some of the best researchers in the field), why would anyone expect conclusive answers from the next 100 studies?

Perhaps it is time to acknowledge that there is perhaps really no difference between different dietary approaches to weight management or that such a difference, even if it does exist, is virtually impossible to ever conclusively “prove” in humans – let alone in clinical practice.

http://www.drsharma.ca/the-new-obesity- ... -know.html
Last edited by La on Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

phorunner
Bruce Kidd

Re: Is their a "best" diet for weight loss?

Postby phorunner » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:37 am

I think most people, regardless of approach will admit that food quality is an important factor. That means avoiding processed crap and eating out.

Whether you go low carb, veg, paleo, etc all depends on how your body reacts/tolerates certain foods (and of course personal preferences).

2012 Bread and Honey 5k: 27:30
2012 Harry Rosen 8k: 45:20
2012 SL10k: 52:55
2013 Army Run: 1:58:49
2011 Midsummer's Night Run 15k: 1:35:17
2013 ATB 30k - Coming up!
2011 Scotia TWM Full: UGH! I'll post my next one

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”