Bread Machines>> Kitchen Gadgets

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Re: Bread Machines>> Kitchen Gadgets

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Thu May 28, 2015 7:35 am

The last loaf I made, I used soy butter instead of real butter, but the same amount. The loaf was a little shorter and denser, and slightly burned. But I actually like the taste better and it is a bit spongier less crumby. I've also been adding bee pollen. At first, I was just trying to use up "random ingredient left over from past fanaticism" but now, I sort of think it could be a perfect idea.

My next experiment is to replace the dried milk with some other protein. Does anyone know why milk solids are needed?

I don't know anything about the science of bread.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Thu May 28, 2015 8:02 am

Spirit wrote:The last loaf I made, I used soy butter instead of real butter, but the same amount. The loaf was a little shorter and denser, and slightly burned. But I actually like the taste better and it is a bit spongier less crumby. I've also been adding bee pollen. At first, I was just trying to use up "random ingredient left over from past fanaticism" but now, I sort of think it could be a perfect idea.

My next experiment is to replace the dried milk with some other protein. Does anyone know why milk solids are needed?

I don't use milk, or powdered milk, I just use water.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Thu May 28, 2015 9:12 am

Habs4ever wrote:
Spirit wrote:The last loaf I made, I used soy butter instead of real butter, but the same amount. The loaf was a little shorter and denser, and slightly burned. But I actually like the taste better and it is a bit spongier less crumby. I've also been adding bee pollen. At first, I was just trying to use up "random ingredient left over from past fanaticism" but now, I sort of think it could be a perfect idea.

ok, I'll try that.
I just remembered to put ground flax on my shopping list. I know you mentioned this before.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu May 28, 2015 9:35 am

Spirit wrote:
Habs4ever wrote:

ok, I'll try that.
I just remembered to put ground flax on my shopping list. I know you mentioned this before.

I think the protein helps the stretchiness of the bread (as opposed to being crumbly, like cake or biscuits).

Unless you're going to use it right away, better to buy whole flax and grind it yourself as it can go rancid quickly.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Thu May 28, 2015 9:57 am

La wrote:
Spirit wrote:
Habs4ever wrote:

ok, I'll try that.

I think the protein helps the stretchiness of the bread (as opposed to being crumbly, like cake or biscuits).

Unless you're going to use it right away, better to buy whole flax and grind it yourself as it can go rancid quickly.

I don't have a grinder. But I can put in freezer.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu May 28, 2015 10:29 am

Spirit wrote:
La wrote:
Spirit wrote:
Habs4ever wrote:

ok, I'll try that.

I don't have a grinder. But I can put in freezer.

We buy ground flax and keep it in a sealed container in the fridge. It never goes bad but we go through it pretty quickly.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”