Low Hemaglobin

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
tayken
Tom Longboat

Low Hemaglobin

Postby tayken » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:10 pm

So, I have been wondering why all of a sudden I find myself being out of breathe, sluggish and inability to push harder when I run. I had a blood test done early this week and the results came back showing my Hemaglobin count lower than the start of the scale for an adult male.

Meaning - Anemia (lower red blood cells) from what I remember from my Biology and science class. Initially, due to my health lifestyle of less carbs and means revolving around steamed veggies, skinless chicken breast, green tea, fruits, and water....coupled with supplements ( fish oil, mutivitamins, glucosamine, zinc), I thought may be I was missing other nutrients.

Clearly, it sounds like I need B-12, iron, vitamin C and possibly testosterone boost?
On the books for 2017

Winterman 10km - (1st in age group) - Feb 19,
Chilly Half Marathon - Mar 5 (Done)
Around the bay 30k - Mar 26, (Done)
Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,
Ottawa race weekend Voyager Challenge - May 27-28,
Spring Fling Toronto - June?
World Record Kilt Run Perth - June 24
Foam Fest 5k Ottawa - Jul 22
Pure Protein Night Race - Aug 12
Army Run Vimy Challenge - Sep 17
Marathon Du P'tit Train Du Nord Quebec - Oct 22

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Low Hemaglobin

Postby Jwolf » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:38 pm

tayken wrote:So, I have been wondering why all of a sudden I find myself being out of breathe, sluggish and inability to push harder when I run. I had a blood test done early this week and the results came back showing my Hemaglobin count lower than the start of the scale for an adult male.

Meaning - Anemia (lower red blood cells) from what I remember from my Biology and science class. Initially, due to my health lifestyle of less carbs and means revolving around steamed veggies, skinless chicken breast, green tea, fruits, and water....coupled with supplements ( fish oil, mutivitamins, glucosamine, zinc), I thought may be I was missing other nutrients.

Clearly, it sounds like I need B-12, iron, vitamin C and possibly testosterone boost?

B-12 doesn't affect hemoglobin. There is "pernicious anemia" which is caused by low vitamin B-12, but that's a different type of anemia.

Lowering carbs should not affect hemoglobin either. It might affect your folate, though.

If it's a dietary problem then you get good quality iron mostly from red meat sources. If you take calcium supplements they can deplete iron.

However, I'd be more concerned with other health factors/diseases that might be causing low hemoglobin-- talk to your doctor about this. He/she will probably order some other tests.

I'm not sure what testosterone has to do with it, either.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

tayken
Tom Longboat

Re: Low Hemaglobin

Postby tayken » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:42 pm

Thank you...some of my points above might have jumbled together and misconstrued :D However, you are right that Calcium does deplete iron. I know B-12 doesn't affect haemoglobin.

This is the 2nd time I have been told by 2 different sources that my iron count is low. I'll be seeing the doctor next week

Jwolf wrote:
tayken wrote:So, I have been wondering why all of a sudden I find myself being out of breathe, sluggish and inability to push harder when I run. I had a blood test done early this week and the results came back showing my Hemaglobin count lower than the start of the scale for an adult male.

B-12 doesn't affect hemoglobin. There is "pernicious anemia" which is caused by low vitamin B-12, but that's a different type of anemia.

Lowering carbs should not affect hemoglobin either. It might affect your folate, though.

If it's a dietary problem then you get good quality iron mostly from red meat sources. If you take calcium supplements they can deplete iron.

However, I'd be more concerned with other health factors/diseases that might be causing low hemoglobin-- talk to your doctor about this. He/she will probably order some other tests.

I'm not sure what testosterone has to do with it, either.
On the books for 2017

Winterman 10km - (1st in age group) - Feb 19,
Chilly Half Marathon - Mar 5 (Done)
Around the bay 30k - Mar 26, (Done)
Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,
Ottawa race weekend Voyager Challenge - May 27-28,
Spring Fling Toronto - June?
World Record Kilt Run Perth - June 24
Foam Fest 5k Ottawa - Jul 22
Pure Protein Night Race - Aug 12
Army Run Vimy Challenge - Sep 17
Marathon Du P'tit Train Du Nord Quebec - Oct 22