pizza in Toronto

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Re: pizza in Toronto

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:37 pm

gnu wrote:The sauce may not make the pizza, but it can be a deal-breaker. Never again will I eat pizza with a creamy or Alfredo sauce :snooty:

Non-tomato sauce is perfect with the right toppings. A creamy pesto sauce with garlic chicken, pine nuts, maybe pistachios, a bit of artichoke or spinach, perfect.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:45 pm

gnu wrote:
dgrant wrote:
deerdree wrote:i went out for pizza with my family the last time i was in montreal and i realized why my dad (from montreal) always eats his pizza with a knife and fork. the all dressed pizza they serve was much thicker - not chicago-style, but certainly something that would be messier to eat with your hands.

For me knife-and-fork pizza is a dealbreaker... sign of a bad pizza. Topping slippage is caused by two things, both of which make the pizza gods angry:
1. Excessive sauce. Knock it off with the oceans of sauce. SAUCE IS THE LEAST IMPORTANT PART OF PIZZA. Even if your sauce is the best sauce, nobody cares.
2. Crust that is too thick or too hard. How do you eat pizza like a friggin' civilized person? You gently fold it longitudinally to form a food canoe. A properly folded slice can hold unlimited chunky toppings.

If I end up with drippings or stray toppings on my pants and my shirt and my chin, I am blaming the pizza maker. I'm never blaming myself.

The sauce may not make the pizza, but it can be a deal-breaker. Never again will I eat pizza with a creamy or Alfredo sauce :snooty:

You're right, for sure. Cream sauce in any dish is the worst variety of that dish. If you offer me a pizza with alfredo sauce... total rage. Okay, I'm still going to eat the whole thing because I hate myself and my food choices show that I hate myself, BUT WE'RE NOT FRIENDS ANYMORE.

Now pesto on pizza is pretty good, but again you better be bringing proper crust and cheese and toppings to the table.

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:48 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
gnu wrote:The sauce may not make the pizza, but it can be a deal-breaker. Never again will I eat pizza with a creamy or Alfredo sauce :snooty:

Non-tomato sauce is perfect with the right toppings. A creamy pesto sauce with garlic chicken, pine nuts, maybe pistachios, a bit of artichoke or spinach, perfect.

:sick: :sick: :sick: This is why God sent you a flood.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:50 pm

dgrant wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:

dgrant wrote:Now pesto on pizza is pretty good, but again you better be bringing proper crust and cheese and toppings to the table.

I don't even know what you're talking about anymore.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

pizza in Toronto

Postby Jwolf » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:53 pm

Pesto on pizza is awesome but NOT white/creamy sauce.

Pesto when done right is fresh basil (or some other greens), pine nuts, fresh Parmesan, garlic, and olive oil. NO cream.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:04 pm

Yep, what she said.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:44 pm

dgrant wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:

dgrant...that's just plain mean :shock: :evil: :evil: :wink:

Turd...that pizza sounds yummy :D :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:42 am

dgrant wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:

:lol:

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:35 am

You people are closed minded. Enjoy your Pizza Hut.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:41 am

turd ferguson wrote:You people are closed minded. Enjoy your Pizza Hut.

There's a great pizza place here called Rocky Mountain Flatbread. I don't think they use white sauce on their pizza. Maybe they do have it as an option, but certainly not on the good ones. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

pizza in Toronto

Postby deerdree » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:14 pm

I've learned over the years that when I feel like "pizza", there's a certain tomatoey, salty flavour combination that I'm looking for. I'm usually not satisfied by things like chicken and artichoke hearts. Don't get me wrong, I think they're delicious. They're just more like an open-faced sandwich to me than "pizza". I'm a sucker the saltiness in a good Canadian pizza. The best pizza I had recently was an apple, bacon and red onion pizza in Boston. Different, but I felt like it had the fundamentals to me to count it as "pizza".

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:44 am

My new fave pizza place in TO is Queen Margherita at Queen E & Greenwood. And they have this yummy one called Mezza Luna that is half pizza and half calzone. They fold half the pizza dough over toward the middle and stuff that side with ricotta cheese, and the other half is traditional Margherita (tomato sauce, basil, mozzarella). Oh, yum!

:drool:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:40 am

Jwolf wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:You people are closed minded. Enjoy your Pizza Hut.

There's a great pizza place here called Rocky Mountain Flatbread. I don't think they use white sauce on their pizza. Maybe they do have it as an option, but certainly not on the good ones. :)

I look forward to Rocky Mountain Flatbread pizza every year when we head out to Canmore...YUM!
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:14 pm

La wrote:My new fave pizza place in TO is Queen Margherita at Queen E & Greenwood. And they have this yummy one called Mezza Luna that is half pizza and half calzone. They fold half the pizza dough over toward the middle and stuff that side with ricotta cheese, and the other half is traditional Margherita (tomato sauce, basil, mozzarella). Oh, yum!

oh interesting! sound delish!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Robert
Tom Longboat

Postby Robert » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:17 pm

I never did find pizza that I was all that keen on in Toronto. In Halifax; however, there is an outstanding place called Salvatore's that does the trick. Mind you, it still isn't particularly thick, which is apparently what I wanted when I started this funny thread so many moons ago.

AjaxRunner
Tom Longboat

Postby AjaxRunner » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:25 am

La wrote:My new fave pizza place in TO is Queen Margherita at Queen E & Greenwood. And they have this yummy one called Mezza Luna that is half pizza and half calzone. They fold half the pizza dough over toward the middle and stuff that side with ricotta cheese, and the other half is traditional Margherita (tomato sauce, basil, mozzarella). Oh, yum!

They recently opened a Queen Margherita in my neck of the woods on jane couple of blocks north of Bloor (I believe it is Anette).

Very tasty pizza!

We walked in at 5:45 pm to be told they didn't have a table for 2 until after 9 pm. Thankfully there were two spots at the bar available.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:49 am

AjaxRunner wrote:

They recently opened a Queen Margherita in my neck of the woods on jane couple of blocks north of Bloor (I believe it is Anette).

Very tasty pizza!

We walked in at 5:45 pm to be told they didn't have a table for 2 until after 9 pm. Thankfully there were two spots at the bar available.

Continuing the East vs. West Pizza Wars between Margherita and Libretto (who opened a location on the Danforth). ;)
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

ashleyco

Postby ashleyco » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:34 pm

I missed Pizza Pizza so much when I lived in Calgary.

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:33 am

Libretto is a cop out... pizza is avg at best and the line up is silly.

QM Ive heard a lot of bad reviews. Cold pizza etc. (cold pizza is only good when its your fridge and its the day after).

The best pizza hands down is Camerra pizza on Dufferin. That thing is just on a whole 'nother level. Other places like Terroni's etc are good... but you end up putting on so much spicy oil that it's really just the spicy oil rather than the pizza.

The bets part of the thin crust places like PL and QM (but not those places), is the pizza dough itself. They often serve it as flatbread and have great Nutella pizzas for dessert. There's a place on Mt Pleasant S. of Eg that is worthwhile, and there's another in Cabbagetown called F'Amelia (more worth while).

Lots of places in The Yonge + Law area, but again, good, but often need spicy oil.

Best for take out is Pizzaiolo. But they're often better when you get take out and get the whole pizza (fresher) and add stuff like garlic.

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”