pizza in Toronto

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:02 pm

mike runs wrote:As long as its about Dave licking a dead liberal it's still technically about nutrition???

Just so long as he's not licking the pizza.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:38 pm

BJH wrote:Just so long as he's not licking the pizza.

Now that is where I draw the line..... It was a sure-fire way for my brother to deter me from eating something he wanted when we were kids... I do this to Tim every once in a while myself I have to admit :oops:

T
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Marvin Martian
Bruce Kidd

Postby Marvin Martian » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:08 pm

dgrant wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:I remember seeing something that said the average toilet seat had less germs on it than the telephone on your desk... not that I would touch my ear to a toilet seat...

That reminds me. Note to self: Pee all over work phone tomorrow to sterilize it...

Make sure you don't eat asperagus beforehand...

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:18 pm

hey dave, don't you use the computer at work every day?

just imagine all the germs on that keyboard... you work in a warehouse... do you think all your coworkers wash their hands diligently?

:angel:
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:54 pm

klewlis wrote:hey dave, don't you use the computer at work every day?

just imagine all the germs on that keyboard... you work in a warehouse... do you think all your coworkers wash their hands diligently?

:angel:

Holly is a troublemaker!! :naughty:

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Re:

Postby Irongirl » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:54 am

La wrote:
BJH wrote:
irongirl wrote:Dave picked a red guy....

Dave voted liberal.

Dave licked a liberal.

hahahahhahaha....I just laughed out loud in my cubicle.

I had forgotten about Dave's liberal lickings.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: pizza in Toronto

Postby La » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:20 pm

I should mention (though Robert doesn't post anymore), that the kind of pizza he is looking for is easily found in Montreal. Montreal pizza tastes very different from Toronto pizza. Just sayin'.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:25 pm

La wrote:I should mention (though Robert doesn't post anymore), that the kind of pizza he is looking for is easily found in Montreal. Montreal pizza tastes very different from Toronto pizza. Just sayin'.

I didn't re-read the thread, but Robert now lives in Halifax. Wonder if we have the kind of pizza here?
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

a_beacher
Jerome Drayton

Postby a_beacher » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:23 pm

OK...I started reading the thread from the first page and found myself confused by Dave's comment about Moma Mia's pizza "in his building". He doesn't live anywhere near Moma Mia's anymore so I looked at the date "2006" :what: So confused.
Funny thread though!

cavia porcellus
Johnny Miles

Re:

Postby cavia porcellus » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:22 pm

The Mamma's in my building? The Mamma's where the same guy handles the cash and makes the pizza? (Where's the barf emoticon?)

Poppy's a little sloppy.
~ every time I run, I win ~ Alicia Snell

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:34 pm

Worth a bump today.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:03 pm

We actually do have an RMer (scrumhalfgirl) who keeps a pizza-centric blog, so we should all defer to her.

I try not to eat much pizza anymore, but I've stumbled upon the best topping combination: anchovies and pineapple. The sweetest possible topping and saltiest possible topping together... amazing.

I like Justin Trudeau and I'll probably vote for him, but we're not at the licking stage at this point. Maaaaybe a handshake that creepily lasts a few beats too long, but that's it.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:08 pm

dgrant wrote:We actually do have an RMer (scrumhalfgirl) who keeps a pizza-centric blog, so we should all defer to her.

I try not to eat much pizza anymore, but I've stumbled upon the best topping combination: anchovies and pineapple. The sweetest possible topping and saltiest possible topping together... amazing.

I like Justin Trudeau and I'll probably vote for him, but we're not at the licking stage at this point. Maaaaybe a handshake that creepily lasts a few beats too long, but that's it.

And actually relevant to this thread...I once ate pizza with Stephen Harper. By with, I mean he was in the same restaurant as us. And by us, I mean all of the minions were squished into one side of the restaurant, because he needed a bunch of empty tables around him and his security guards. No comment on whether or her licked the pizza.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:11 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:
dgrant wrote:We actually do have an RMer (scrumhalfgirl) who keeps a pizza-centric blog, so we should all defer to her.

And actually relevant to this thread...I once ate pizza with Stephen Harper. By with, I mean he was in the same restaurant as us. And by us, I mean all of the minions were squished into one side of the restaurant, because he needed a bunch of empty tables around him and his security guards. No comment on whether or her licked the pizza.

;))

(and thanks for the bump Turd!)
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:20 pm

I was so tickled that I took a screen cap to use as an avatar. Those were different times.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:05 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:

I was in a pub once with then-PM Paul Martin on St. Patty's Day weekend. He had a security detail with him, but essentially was just sitting at a large table with his entourage wearing a Guinness hat. :lol:

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:29 pm

La wrote:
scrumhalfgirl wrote:

I was in a pub once with then-PM Paul Martin on St. Patty's Day weekend. He had a security detail with him, but essentially was just sitting at a large table with his entourage wearing a Guinness hat. :lol:

Dave - Justin Trudeau was in the porter lounge last time I was in TO for work. He is definitely lickable!!! :D 8)

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:06 pm

Tori wrote:
La wrote:
scrumhalfgirl wrote:

Dave - Justin Trudeau was in the porter lounge last time I was in TO for work. He is definitely lickable!!! :D 8)

I concur. I had a chance to have a one on one conversation with Justin a couple months ago (not talking politics...I was telling him that I sold his Mom a rocking chair when she was pregnant with him...way back during my first summer job at an antique store in Ottawa). He is most definitely lickable :lol: :lol:
btw...he held my hand at the end of that conversation...being a mature woman old enough to be his mom I did not swoon...I promise :wink:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:20 am

Tori wrote:
La wrote:
scrumhalfgirl wrote:

He tweeted to me in April! :D
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:47 am

La wrote:I should mention (though Robert doesn't post anymore), that the kind of pizza he is looking for is easily found in Montreal. Montreal pizza tastes very different from Toronto pizza. Just sayin'.

Really? What does toronto pizza taste like? I do know they have no idea what 'all dressed' means though.
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:39 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
Tori wrote:
La wrote:
scrumhalfgirl wrote:

I concur. I had a chance to have a one on one conversation with Justin a couple months ago (not talking politics...I was telling him that I sold his Mom a rocking chair when she was pregnant with him...way back during my first summer job at an antique store in Ottawa). He is most definitely lickable :lol: :lol:
btw...he held my hand at the end of that conversation...being a mature woman old enough to be his mom I did not swoon...I promise :wink:

When he walked away, he didn't slip in your pool of drool, did he?

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:32 pm

Dr. S wrote:

Really? What does toronto pizza taste like? I do know they have no idea what 'all dressed' means though.

The spices of the sauce and pepperoni are different. Also, Montreal pizza has the cheese on top of everything, whereas in Toronto they tend to put the cheese on top of the sauce, then the toppings sit on top of the cheese.

And I've never seen the ball of dough in the middle of the pizza here - they always use these little plastic things (we call them Barbie chairs :lol: ) to keep the lid of the box from touching the pizza.

Most of the popular pizza places in Montreal are owned by Greeks, not Italians.

Yeah, "all dressed" in Montreal is called "Pepperoni, Mushroom, Green Pepper" here. Sometimes also called "Deluxe."

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:49 pm

there is a place in burlington (and also in milton) called "halifax donair and pizza". even though their claim to fame is an "authentic" halifax donair, they also make (what they call) montreal-syle pizza. it has the dough ball in the middle and the cheese on top. i love it!! i've noticed some of scrummy's ottawa pizza pictures looked similar.

i went out for pizza with my family the last time i was in montreal and i realized why my dad (from montreal) always eats his pizza with a knife and fork. the all dressed pizza they serve was much thicker - not chicago-style, but certainly something that would be messier to eat with your hands.

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:08 pm

deerdree wrote:i went out for pizza with my family the last time i was in montreal and i realized why my dad (from montreal) always eats his pizza with a knife and fork. the all dressed pizza they serve was much thicker - not chicago-style, but certainly something that would be messier to eat with your hands.

For me knife-and-fork pizza is a dealbreaker... sign of a bad pizza. Topping slippage is caused by two things, both of which make the pizza gods angry:
1. Excessive sauce. Knock it off with the oceans of sauce. SAUCE IS THE LEAST IMPORTANT PART OF PIZZA. Even if your sauce is the best sauce, nobody cares.
2. Crust that is too thick or too hard. How do you eat pizza like a friggin' civilized person? You gently fold it longitudinally to form a food canoe. A properly folded slice can hold unlimited chunky toppings.

If I end up with drippings or stray toppings on my pants and my shirt and my chin, I am blaming the pizza maker. I'm never blaming myself.

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:28 pm

dgrant wrote:
deerdree wrote:i went out for pizza with my family the last time i was in montreal and i realized why my dad (from montreal) always eats his pizza with a knife and fork. the all dressed pizza they serve was much thicker - not chicago-style, but certainly something that would be messier to eat with your hands.

For me knife-and-fork pizza is a dealbreaker... sign of a bad pizza. Topping slippage is caused by two things, both of which make the pizza gods angry:
1. Excessive sauce. Knock it off with the oceans of sauce. SAUCE IS THE LEAST IMPORTANT PART OF PIZZA. Even if your sauce is the best sauce, nobody cares.
2. Crust that is too thick or too hard. How do you eat pizza like a friggin' civilized person? You gently fold it longitudinally to form a food canoe. A properly folded slice can hold unlimited chunky toppings.

If I end up with drippings or stray toppings on my pants and my shirt and my chin, I am blaming the pizza maker. I'm never blaming myself.

The sauce may not make the pizza, but it can be a deal-breaker. Never again will I eat pizza with a creamy or Alfredo sauce :snooty:

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”